LouisA

Please tell me this is normal!

Hi Everyone,

So I had the operation yesterday and as far as I know everything went well. I was good all yesterday getting my fluids down not in too much pain etc. Well today was a totally different story ! I have been vomiting all day, barely getting any fluids. Hot skin, but feeling cold, headaches and soooo nauseaous and feels like there is an elephant on my chest. 

Please tell me this is normal? I’m having an absolute mental breakdown about being sent home tomorrow like this. 

Having a serious WHAT HAVE I DONE moment. Stressing that I have damaged my staple line from throwing up etc. 

Hi @LouisA

I was listening to the weight loss surgery Podcast by Reeger Cortell lastnight, I've been finding it very informative and helpful. The episode in particular was number 78 "gathering knowledge with Amy Swayze" Amy had the surgery in 2015. She recalls how sick she was after surgery because of the anesthesia. Some people suffer with nausea right after surgery because of it. She said it passed after a day though, not sure if this helps. I really recommend listening to the podcast though for those of you that are looking for more knowledge of the surgery and post op care etc.

Also read this - 

Nausea is a side effect of many gastric operations. This problem may start early after the operation or a couple of weeks after discharge from the hospital. This is the side effect of the operation that is responsible for some of the massive rapid weight loss. Even though you may experience severe nausea you should make an effort to eat at least three or four small meals a day and drink at least three to four cups of water a day. Place one litre of water in the fridge in the morning so you know how much you have drunk during the day. The feeling of nausea may be severe but it is rarely associated with vomiting but if vomiting does occur what comes up is not what was eaten but rather white saliva. The clinic can provide medications to reduce nausea, however if it is severe or you are vomiting food, this may need further investigation by X-ray or endoscopic exam.

I hope you start to feel better! Good luck with your recovery. Be sure to check with the doctors to see if there is some medication they can give you for the nausea.

All the best.

- Queenies

Morning LousA, if you're still in the hospital, ask the nurses to check your temperature and observations for you. Just the hot skin / feeling cold component.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

LL

• Like 1

Hi LouisA

I too was sooo sick after surgery.  Vomiting for 2 days, wondering if anyone got the number of the bus that had hit me.  I also sincerely wondered "What the hell have I done?!"

Obviously get the medical professionals to check you over, but please believe me when I say that it gets better day by day.  In those first two days I was convinced I had made a massive mistake.  By day 3 I was able to keep small sips of fluid down.  I still had bouts of nausea but nothing like the first two days. 

Hope today you're feeling better than yesterday, and tomorrow even better still.

• Like 2

Hi @LouisA,  

Please let the nursing staff know how you feel regarding possible fever. Those ear thermometers don't work on me 'cos I've got convoluted ear canals.

The headaches are possibly due to dehydration - let them know.

I was super nauseous, and even vomited when I was at home on day 2. (got operated very late, so I call that day 0).  I was vomiting when I was still in hospital - they should have kicked up the IV fluids and kept me in.  But then, the nursing care was abysmal - and was also on subsequent admissions to that hospital.

Hope you're feeling better soon. 

Day 4 and still feeling like death - lots of tears today ... ugh this is definately a rough road. I so hope it’s worth it. 

I don’t know how people are getting in 1lt plus of liquid a day I have only had two hydralyte ice poles and a few sip of water ! 

Hi LouisA,

I feel ya. I vomited for 4 days, they said id feel better by day 3. Could barely down a few ice chips. They tried to give me a tablet that was too big, so they broke it in half and i still threw it up. I, too questioned if i had done the right thing. Everyone is different, i read onthis forum about people who breezed through the post op.

Good news though, i did start to feel better day by day. Did all the right things, but i took longer through each stage ie puree and mushie etc. Now i feel fantastic. Love my life and wish id done it sooner. Took awhile to get back to normal, didnt even enjoy my coffee for couple months.

Hang in there, we're thinking of you. Cheers.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Thankyou for all your replies. I’m happy to report as of Day 5 things took a good turn and I’m doing great and now onto the puréed stage woohoo! Those first 4 days were way harder then I could have ever imagined! 

• Like 2

LouisA I'm so happy to hear you're feeling better. I took your story on board when I went in this week and made sure I got plenty of nausea meds and stayed on my IV fluids until I could sip without vomiting! Thank you for sharing your story - I can definitely say you helped me. I'm grateful for that, but sorry that you had a rough time x

Hi LouisaA

Good to hear you're doing so well now.  I am onto Puree stage to now.  

Onwards and upwards.

I think it is fair to say everyone is different and reacts in a different way, well in terms of how long certain symptoms last for. I was fine on day one, had horrible hiccups on day two, a little sickness on day 3 and almost normal on day 4. Certainly the trapped gas in the chest is a rather unpleasant situation, but the advice of getting up and walking it off, did work for me and I was fine by bedtime on day one.

As a fairly big drinker of water @3 litres per day, I suffered some headaches for a couple of weeks, from dehydration. But by the end of week two I was riding my bike again and after 4 months post op am drinking 2lt per day and no more headaches.

Edited by colinmc400
  • Like 1