@Jules 2nd May, sleeve

me, 4 May, roux en y bypass

@back2normal 9th May, sleeve 

Shelly22 12th May, sleeve

@Boganlicious 17th May, SIPS bypass

@trillions 17th May, sleeve

@LosingKAL 21st May, sleeve

—————

May Day, May Day!! sheet just got real. This is happening.

Bypass surgery scheduled for May 4... need to get through gastroscope tomorrow, then appointment with dietician, second appointment with surgeon and we are ON people!

Im 175cms and at my heaviest ever 135kgs. I’m so excited to be taking such a positive step towards a healthier me.

any other May sleevers or bypassians? 

• Like 3

Hi

i'm having Sleeve on May 2nd. I'm terrified of the surgery but so excited to get rid of all my weight. I just wish I'd done it years ago.

I'm 160cm and about 105kg now. I'm just preparing for preop diet and have got my multivitamin and calcium. Will need to look for some biotin next for post op hair and skin issues. Good luck with gastroscopy. 

• Like 4

Hi all!

so the gastroscope was fine- surgeon found a bit of irritation (and a tiny hernia, who knew?!) so took a biopsy. Called me yesterday to say all was well, no bugs. So at this stage I’m still ‘on’ for May 4!!

im so excited!

in a strange mindset at the moment re: food. Seem to be hoovering up vast quantities of my favourite things- as though I’ll never get to eat them again. But at the same time I’m also thinking a LOT more about my intake and I’m very aware of my gut. 

Dare I say I’m actually looking forward to starting the pre-op opti?

how is everyone else going?

• Like 2

Im definitely booked for May 17th! I'm scared but excited. I start Opti in just under 2 weeks. I tried miso soup for the first time today and was pleasantly surprised (it's allowed on Opti). I was still hungry so had 2 boiled eggs with it which was my lunch. I'm going to go shopping tomorrow and Sunday for Opti as well as heaps of veggies. I'm not sure how I'm going to go with Opti hunger wise but plan to fill up with allowed veggies and foods eg diet jelly. 

• Like 1

Does that mean you will do three weeks of Opti @Boganlicious ?  I’m a bit worried about feeling starvy on the opti as well, but I figure we will get used to it pretty quickly?

when will you start @Jules ?  I’m impressed that you have vitamins etc already!  I haven’t seen the dietician yet- I’ll wait to see what they recommend for me. I can struggle to find good multi vitamins that don’t have iron. 

Does anyone have a post bariatric cookbook yet?

• Like 1

Hi @zaruse yes 3 weeks of Opti for me as most of my weight is carried around my waist. Then 2 days prior to surgery is liquids only I just need to confirm with the dietician of its clear only or nourishing liquids. I see her on the 1st of May. 

I am a little nervous about Opti but I have to do it. I told my surgeon if he couldn't do the procedure larascopically(which is rare) to go ahead and convert to open. I am going to follow Opti as hard as it may be. We can do this! We are going shopping tonight, I will buy some Opti and a heap of veg (but go back next week for more so it doesn't go off). I need to buy miso soup and diet jelly too, 

• Like 1

Hello :) 

I’m booked in for my sleeve on the 12th of May, so hope it’s ok I join in here. Starting to feel really nervous so thought it was time to join others on the same journey to try help each other through! 

I start my pre op diet this coming Saturday - Feeling pretty organised and ready for this step... I’ve done the opti thing before so I’m prepared for the transition...it’ll be hard but worth it!! I think I’m most nervous about the surgery and how I’ll feel during the immediate recovery. I think it’s the unknown that feels the scariest. Trying to focus on the results. It’s going to be such a life changer after having struggled with weight since childhood. Now just hoping my super comes through...DHS is taking forever!!! If they don’t hurry up my surgery will be pushed back but hopefully they’ll come through this week. 

Look forward to getting to know you all better :) 

• Like 3

Welcome Shelly!

Hope DHS get their act together STAT!

Dietician today!! Then final appointment with surgeon tomorrow. To say I’m excited would be a complete understatement.

i hope to go and buy the optifast etc on my way home tonight.  Yay!

• Like 2

Final meeting with the surgeon today, all good. I’ve signed the forms and am (sort of) ready to start the pre-op diet tomorrow. 

I say sort of- because I haven’t actually got to the chemist yet to buy Opti... but I do have a box of fat blaster so that will have to do for breaky and lunch.  

Will you guys get pics of yourself before you start this journey? 

• Like 1

Hi Zaruse - I have a photo of me from February at my daughter's birthday. I am disgusted in how big I am. I knew I wasn't small but Jesus I had no idea I was enormous. That said yes I will get my hubby to take a before photo (no underwear shots I'm too embarrassed). I look forward to taking my after shot especially once the boobs and tummy are fixed. 

Are you on any fb support groups? I'm on a few and find them helpful and they are very active too. My surgeon also has his own support group that he's pretty active on which is really helpful. 

Hi! How is everyone going? 

Zaruse - I hope you’re starting out well with your presurgery diet today :) I start tomorrow and I seem to be a bit up and down on how I feel about it....one moment I’m pumped and ready, the next I’m a little panicky. Feels very foreign and a bit scary if I’m honest to be taking a step to a whole new relationship with food. First few days will be the hardest....good luck! 

I think I will take before photos and will probably track my progress regularly. I think I will do underwear shots - just for my eyes only. I think I will need the visual reminder to keep me honest and motivated. My husband will take them for me and I’ll lock them away in a top secret file on my phone somewhere that needs a password, a challenge question and a sacrifice to the gods to open :D 

Boganlicious - are you planning on skin removal after weight loss? It’s so hard to know what my body will look like after all the weight is gone. I’m secretly hoping that it’ll be “deal-able” because I’m terrified of surgery! I’m scared enough of the key hole procedure for the sleeve! 

I have thought about joining the Facebook groups but I’m not sure which is good? Are they closed groups? Australian groups? I don’t know yet how public I want to be about weight loss surgery. 

Are any of you losing the weight for fertility? I have one son who is almost 9 and we’ve been trying to give him a sibling for 5.5 years so, this is one of the main reasons I’m doing this. That, and just wanting to be healthy and active and not have to be like my mum who struggles with pain and health problems related to obesity. The long term gains are going to be completely life changing in so many ways and I’m so excited for that. 

Other than that, DHS have escalated my claim so that it can be processed quicker, I’m starting to get quite worried I won’t be able to get the money from my super in time as I only have 10 more days to pay my surgeon fees! Pushing my surgery date back would be devastating. Fingers crossed! 

Hope you all are having a great day! 

Hey Shelley22. Yes I'm planning a tummy tuck with pubic lift/lipo and if needed full body lift, replacement of my breast implants as I'm pretty sure I want to go bigger depending how much they shrink (I've gotten bigger because of the weight gain) and if I need it to get the perky look I want a breast lift too. 

I'm more scared of how we are going to pay for it than the surgery. I've had countless surgeries now I am scared of the sips bypass a bit mainly anaesthesia at my size. I have a bad overhang on my stomach and a collapsed pubic mound (again sorry for the visual but we're all grown ups). 

Boganlicious, you’re going to have such a transformation to look forward to! Albeit an expensive venture to get the body you want, the end result is bound to help you feel motivated!!! I was talking to a friend who has lost the weight and needs a full body lift and she says that would cost about $30,000 :o I was shocked! I know I’m going to have lots of excess skin and saggy boobs (I’m 140kgs and 170cm tall) but I don’t think there is any way I can afford that much money. Spanx and push up bras will have to do! Plus I was reading somewhere that it takes about 7 years for your skin to shrink as much as it’s going to, so hopefully with time and exercise it’ll be manageable. 

Try not to worry too much about the anaesthesia....I’ve had to have a few surgeries in recent years and it’s all been super smooth despite my weight. I get really sick from the anaesthetic and I request all the anti nausea meds they’ve got, and that helps recovery a whole lot. I’ll be requesting the same with my sleeve. 

Day 1 of Optifast and diet....feeling ILL :( Not hungry, but feel nauseous and could barely get my lunch down....although glad I did coz I’ve perked up a bit since eating my veggies. I know that it’s just an adjustment and I should be right in a few days....it’s going to be all worth it!! 

• Like 1

Hi guys!

day one of opti was ok... except for the bit around 11.30am when I had a cracking headache so took two ibuprofen- then soon after felt sick, so I ate a couple of crimpy chicken shapes (was too early for lunch shake).  Need to have some veggie sticks on hand for emergencies I think!

i also bought out half of chemist warehouse opti selection...

day 2 is going ok. I actually didn’t get to eat until lunch time- then have been outside all afternoon. I just ate a berry bar which is... odd. But my tummy isn’t growling any more! 

Im worried about excess skin as well, my tummy is already saggy so that is going to be gross. I think I’ll have saggy arms too. 

Is anyone applying bio oil or something? Would anything work to promote skin elasticity?

some stuff my surgeon was that I didn’t know:

post surgery I’ll have to inject anti DVT drugs into myself. Hmm

no pregnancy for at least a year (not any issue, but still) 

there is no ‘magic timeframe’ that resets your bodies ‘goal weight’. Once you have been bigger, your body always strives to get back there. 

Re: support groups. My dietician will add me to a secret FB group... but I don’t know about any others- because I’m not telling people about the op, I don’t want it on FB!

Hope you are feeling better STAT Shelly. Feeling nauseous is the pits. Can you have some more fresh veg to help fill you up?

I started Opti yesterday. I'm surviving but I'm so hungry! I'm living off carrot sticks, tomato with spring onion, miso soup and caffeine free cinnamon tea in between meals. 

Im going shopping Thursday night or Friday and will buy veggies for a soup. I'm really not a fan of veggie soup but I'm desperate for something more filling. 3 weeks and 1 more day til my op! 

• Like 1

It gets better! Well, I’m only on day 5 but I’m actually not hating the Opti as much as I did...

so far I’ve done a couple veggie stirfrys- garlic and ginger yum! 

Last night I cooked the vegan malai kofta from Opti Cook. Man, it was much, much better than I expected- so good even the hubby liked it and it will definitely go into the ‘make again’ pile.  

This will sound dumb but having to work around Opti has made me a thousand times more aware of what and how much I eat (and scarily what I used to eat)

Feeling good right now- happy that I’ve already lost 2.7kgs (as of this morning on my dodgy scales) even with my Sunday meal pass.

• Like 2

Oh oh oh- and a chocolate dessert set in the freezer for a half an hour or more is pretty yummy too! 

• Like 1

I started Opti Monday and am pleased to report I'm down 1kg already. It's only been 2 days. Can't wait to weight in at my dietician appointment Tuesday, I'm actually heavier on my home scales. 

• Like 1

That is awesome @Boganlicious!

Im still on 3.8kgs lost... I’m worried it isn’t enough. 

Dietician also said to add small portion of skinless chicken or lean meat (no bigger than palm of hand) if I’m about to die of starvation. So far I’m ok, but this is good to know- esp with a week to go.

speaking of which: 8 sleeps! This time next week I’ll be beside myself with anticipation 

• Like 1

I’m double messaging- but too excited not to share: ONE WEEK TO GO! 

Ive only lost 4.3kgs so far, which is a little less than I was hoping, but still ok. 

How are you guys going with pre-op Opti?

Jules- 5 sleeps for you! Can’t wait to hear how you go

Shelly is next on the 12th, then Boganlicious on the 17th

Go team!  

• Like 1

I hate my scales! I was up 100 grams but then moved the scales and tried again and was up 600 grams. How can I go up when I'm following this 100%? Feeling frustrated. 

Clothing?

Water or fluid?

Umm... bowels? 

i wouldn’t stress, you are doing great. 

• Like 1