zaruse

May 2018 sleevers and bypassians

3 hours ago, LosingKAL said:

Hi @zaruse

Is that 10.7 kgs since surgery?  Well done in any case!  I cannot wait to start shifting this weight!!!

Whoa, imagine if it was in the 5 days since surgery!! Nah, it is since I started on optifast. But I’m still pleased! 

Re: nails- I’d double check, but I suspect they will want naked fingers at least. My instructions were ‘no nail polish at all’ to which I complied, but I think toes are ok.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zaruse said:

Re: nails- I’d double check, but I suspect they will want naked fingers at least. My instructions were ‘no nail polish at all’ to which I complied, but I think toes are ok.

Includes toes :) .

Depends on your anaesthetist. I've always been able to wear my acrylics if the nail beds were clear. Toe nails painted also fine. 

I had my ecg and pre admission today. Not happy. 115.6kgs. So basically I've only down 2.4kgs. I don't get it. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, zaruse said:

Good luck today @back2normal big gentle hugs xoxo

hi @LosingKAL my faves are the coffee and chocolate- esp the chocolate dessert (mixed then frozen for an hour or so- it’s like frozen mousse!). The choc coated berry bars are good too, once you are hungry enough!  The chai is kinda spicy, but still sweet.  

I absolutely HATE the soups, and refuse to eat them. 

guess what everyone?! As of this morning I’ve lost 10.7kg!!! Huzzah! 

Well done @zaruse, 10.7 kg is awesome! I have a dog that weighs pretty much exactly that. I just picked him up to see how much you've lost and it is heaps - he's a heavy little bugger, lol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just thought of a couple of other things to note, post op:

sleeping- I’m a side sleeper, and I’ve found hugging a pillow close to my chest keeps my top arm from flopping over and compressing tum- also stops me from rolling over and squashing tum.

im not sure if it same for everyone, and sorry about TMI, but:

ive been ‘spotting’ to varying degrees since surgery. Might be worth packing some liners, just in case.

and: the gastrografin swallow they gave me for the X-ray went STRAIGHT through. Seriously. It happened fast. 

I’m also not loving the Clexane injections, especially having to DIY. they don’t actualy hurt, it’s just the thought of it that makes me yuk. 

• Thanks 1

@zaruse What are the Clexane injections?  Why do you have to inject it yourself?

I had my first day of Opti yesterday, end up buying the Strawberry and Chocolate ones - not too bad actually!  Only 10 days of Opti to go!  I picked a really bad time (socially) to do this.  Just in the next 10 days (pre-op) I have Mothers Day, My 10 year wedding anniversary and my son's 8th Birthday party.  I also have visitors arriving on Tuesday next week for a week.  Hahahaha.  BUT this is for life so I need to be able to handle these things moving forward so it is a very good test of my will power!

@back2normal how are you feeling?  I hope everything went well for you x

@LosingKAL Clexane is for prevention of blood clots. I don’t know why it can’t be taken orally, I was given injections so I inject! It doesn’t hurt, just the thought of it is offputting. IFYKWIM?

Nice work on the timing by the way!! But honestly there is never the ‘perfect’ time!  This time next year you will be a whole new you and you can party twice as hard to make up for it! 

And yes- how are you going @back2normal?  We are all anxious to hear that you are well!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zaruse said:

Just thought of a couple of other things to note, post op:

sleeping- I’m a side sleeper, and I’ve found hugging a pillow close to my chest keeps my top arm from flopping over and compressing tum- also stops me from rolling over and squashing tum.

im not sure if it same for everyone, and sorry about TMI, but:

ive been ‘spotting’ to varying degrees since surgery. Might be worth packing some liners, just in case.

and: the gastrografin swallow they gave me for the X-ray went STRAIGHT through. Seriously. It happened fast. 

I’m also not loving the Clexane injections, especially having to DIY. they don’t actualy hurt, it’s just the thought of it that makes me yuk. 

Hi Zaruse, thanks for the tips! I am a side sleeper and I always sleep with a body pillow, but I hadn't thought to take it with me to hospital... maybe I should.

I had my pre-surgery appointment with my surgeon yesterday, and I asked him about the leak test following surgery and the injections and he doesn't do either. I'm not sure if I should be happy or worried. It seems most other people have them... or a leak test of some kind at the very least. 

How are you feeling now? Is the food going down okay?

6 hours ago, zaruse said:

And yes- how are you going @back2normal?  We are all anxious to hear that you are well!  

Still thinking of you @back2normal, thought I'd drop by and send you some more healing vibes. Hope all is well! xx

22 hours ago, Boganlicious said:

Depends on your anaesthetist. I've always been able to wear my acrylics if the nail beds were clear. Toe nails painted also fine. 

I had my ecg and pre admission today. Not happy. 115.6kgs. So basically I've only down 2.4kgs. I don't get it. 

Hi @Boganlicious - only one week to go :o How are you feeling? I stopped worrying about weight after being told it's really all about your liver. I actually put weight on this morning! I walked lots and didn't eat much yesterday, busy day, didn't get time. I also didn't drink enough water, and that seems to be the biggest issue for me. If I don't drink and pee, I don't lose weight. As long as you are sticking to the diet, avoiding carbs, and drinking lots of water, you will be fine. 

I had my last visit with the surgeon yesterday, according to their scales I've lost 4.8 kg - according to mine I've lost 5.7 kg. I think their scales are broken, lol.

I have to arrive at the hospital at lunchtime, 12 o'clock on the dot, and I am the last to have surgery at 2:45pm. I am hoping my surgeon isn't a bit tired and over it by then. I asked his lovely assistant and she laughed and said no, he has a good lunch break to regain his energy and focus. I should've told him no carbs for lunch that day!!

I bought $7 KMart PJs yesterday, and new undies, and a new toothbrush and toothbrush holder. I am still ridiculously excited, and getting a wee bit more nervous. I really need to stop watching YouTube videos :)

@trillions lol I bought new jim jams too! Yay Kmart!  I was so hot most of the time in hospital- glad I got a pair of shorties. (And boy didn’t they look smashing with the knee high TED tights!)

i also had blood tests every day- might have been overkill but I’d rather be safe than sorry. I wonder why your surgeon doesn’t do a leak test? 

Food is kindof going down better. I really need a protein supplement, as I don’t think I’m getting enough. I should just stick with optifast, but I wouldn’t get through 3 a day- I’m barely managing one! 

• Like 1

Oh god @zaruse I hadn't even thought about those stocking things! :D I tend to be hot rather than cold, too, and I can't stand having anything on my feet while I'm in bed or I cook. 

My surgeon said they (his team) don't do leak tests because they happen very very rarely and he's confident that they would pick up on it in the 3 days I'm there if it leaked because I'd be very unwell. The more I think about it the worse I feel, but there's not much I can do about it now :( I can't ask him to do one because I don't have the money to cover any further testing if he didn't quote for it. Unless they can bulk bill it... I might ask when I'm there. 

What are you eating at the moment Zaruse? How many days past surgery are you? I can't remember... I have opti brain :( :D

Fair enough @trillions I’m 100% sure your guy knows what is what. Don’t stress!!  And the, erm, pleasure? Of drinking the dye was hella expensive. I’m hoping I can claim at least some back!

you’ll be fine with the stockings- so hopped-up on meds you won’t even care! 

:D

im 7 days post surgery today, well, tonight anyway.  Whoop! 

At the moment I feel like I spend the whole day trying to consume things- I start with some water (will switch to a fruit/veg juice this am) then I have 150/200ml water with benefibre and flattened berocca. Half an Opti, more water, some soup, keep sipping away at the rest of the Opti... then soup for dinner, maybe followed by some thin yoghurt. This takes me ALL day, all the while trying to sip my way through at least two of my 600ml water bottles. 

The good news is I’m very cheap to feed these days!

how is everyone going on Opti? 

• Haha 1

@zaruseI am day 3 on Opti today and not doing too badly.  9 days to go for me but I agree with Trillions,  "Opti brain" is a thing!!  Glad to see you are doing well, I image that for a little while, life becomes totally focused on consumption!

@trillions I am also highly addicted to You Tube videos.  My search history looks like this:

• VSG Australia
  • What to eat after VSG
  • Meals for Puree stage VSG
  • What to take to hospital for VSG
  • Excess skin after VSG

I have contemplated making a You Tube Journey blog myself but still unsure.  Still have 9 days to decide :)

Does anyone else here have a You Tube Vlog?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, trillions said:

Oh god @zaruse I hadn't even thought about those stocking things! :D I tend to be hot rather than cold, too, and I can't stand having anything on my feet while I'm in bed or I cook. 

Make sure that your legs and feet are well moisturised with a pH neutral/balanced product - this helps with the dry skin = hot legs/restless legs.  Also ensure that you body wash products are  pH neutral/balanced product, and moisturise after.

Quick question for you all: what is your post op food timetable like? Mine seems sort of short, in comparison to others I’ve read in older forum posts.

week 1 (7-10 days post op) liquid diet. Everything runny enough to drink through a straw, no ‘bits’

week 2 purée foods. Everything should be consistency of smooth mashed potato.  Eg. ’normal’ veggies without skin or pith cooked soft and blended, meat or skinless chicken puréed with gravy

week 3&4 soft foods. Everything should be easily broken with side of fork. Eg. soft omelettes, casseroles, flaked fish

week 5 solid foods. 

I'm ready. I've been to Kmart today for pjs, knickers, suitcase, jumpers and food containers. 

I'm excited. 

• Like 2

Hi all! I'm just at work but will come back to reply to your comments later tonight. Every time I see there's a new comment I have a quick look hoping for an update from @back2normal

Have a great Friday lovelies! xx

• Like 1

Hi all,

I am back!  I was discharged from hospital yesterday morning and feel much better now.

Here is my surgery experience:

Op Day -09/May:

I registered at surgical reception at 7:00am on 09/May and scaled of 98kg in hospital.  I was the third patient of Dr Patrick Moore and pulled for anesthesia at around 10:55am.  The anesthetist tried 5 times on my hands and finally found my blood vessels on left wrist for at least 10 min, he said he would find one on my arm during my surgery.  Anyway, I was sent to theater and got injection, and then got black out.   The handsome nurse waked me up at around 2:20pm, I was super tired and nauseated 4 or 5 times, very disgusting and embarrassed.  I might have stronger anesthetic response than other people, handsome nurse comforted me it was still normal, no need to worry,.   The surgery went well and lasted around 1:31-1:35, per Medicare claim history(I only got total $400 out of $1,700 from Medicare (300) and BUPA(100):().   Dr Moore also repaired my hernia in the surgery.

I was sent to ward when nausea was settled down, very dizzy during the transaction and nauseated 2 more times when I was in ward.   The time was around 3:30pm when everything was finally settled down in ward.  I was put with dripping on my arm, oxygen in my nose, pump on my legs.  I also passed wind on the bed,  that is quick. 

I did not feel any pain or reflux, just very sleepy.  I slept for around 3 hours and served with all liquid dinner.  I called nurse to release me from bed, and then sit on the sofa to sip a little bit water.  The first 2 or 3 sips made me nausea again, I vomited a little (because there's nothing left in my stomach) and walked to toilet to urinate.  It was amazing, I could walk around without any problems, just a bit slowly to avoid falling down.  For my poor dinner, I just sipped some water, apple juice and broth.  Sustagen and milk were too heavy for me.

After talking with my visiting friends and family, I was sleepy again and called to equip with the pump and oxygen.  At 10:00pm, he gave me a small tummy injection to prevent blood clots, which is bit pain.  I was falling into sleep again.  During night, I felt freezing and got temperature of 37.5C.   Nurse added one more bottle dripping to lower my temperature.

This is my experience of surgery day, feel ok and bearable.

• Like 3

Hi @back2normal!!

Hooray, you did it!!! It's so good to hear from you. Wow, that was quite an experience, thanks so much for the update. Lucky you getting a handsome nurse!! :)

How are you feeling now? Are you managing to drink some protein? 

Congratulations, and welcome back :) xx

Day 2 -10/May

I felt much much better and got a little energy back, could walk around the wards without any help.  Still pain & reflux free.   Dr Moore came to see me in the morning, he was happy to see I can recoverd so quickly.  He asked me to sip more sustagen, however the vanilla flavor was so sweet and hardly sip for me.  If everything went well, he could discharge me on the next day.

I could sip more water and orange juice, nauseated 2 or 3 times in the whole day.   I took a shower and felt refreshed.

In the evening, I felt freezing again and got temperature 38.5C, nurse gave me dripping to bring down my temperature.  Not feel hungry and thirsty with dripping. 

Day 3 -11/May

Dr Moore revisited me again and decided to keep me 1 more day in hospital due to temperature.  I got sore neck, might be my old problem of office work.  He said it was still ok, nothing to worry. 

I was very very good during the day 3, could sip around 200ml vanilla sustagen, 110ml orange juice and 200ml water.

I was got bored, didn't want to watch TV,  just played with my phone, read news and kindle books.  walked around wards for 3085 steps! 

During night, nurse gave me 2 panado with 8 broken pieces to help with my sore neck, I could swallow them with sipping water!

Day 4 -12/May

I sipped whole a cup of chocolate sustagen and a cup of water.  After Dr Moore's visiting,  finally I was discharged from hospital and back to home, yeah! :D

I was 96.5kg when I was discharged.

------------------------------

Well, this surgery went well for me, it was successful and pain free so far.  I know I still have a long way to go to achieve my 64kg target, just keep fighting! :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trillions said:

Hi @back2normal!!

Hooray, you did it!!! It's so good to hear from you. Wow, that was quite an experience, thanks so much for the update. Lucky you getting a handsome nurse!! :)

How are you feeling now? Are you managing to drink some protein? 

Congratulations, and welcome back :) xx

Thanks @trillions!!

I am all good!  I managed to drink 850ml water, broth, rice soup with protein so far, took me around 3 hours!   Did some housework, a little bit tired.   Can't complain any more! :D

• Like 2

Yay! Well done @back2normal! Glad everything went so well. Thank you for the detailed run through. Sorry to hear you were nauseated- it happens to the best of us and the nurses are well used to it! 

Lucky duck for having a handsome nurse!

On 5/11/2018 at 10:53 AM, LosingKAL said:

@zaruseI am day 3 on Opti today and not doing too badly.  9 days to go for me but I agree with Trillions,  "Opti brain" is a thing!!  Glad to see you are doing well, I image that for a little while, life becomes totally focused on consumption!

@trillions I am also highly addicted to You Tube videos.  My search history looks like this:

• VSG Australia
  • What to eat after VSG
  • Meals for Puree stage VSG
  • What to take to hospital for VSG
  • Excess skin after VSG

I have contemplated making a You Tube Journey blog myself but still unsure.  Still have 9 days to decide :)

Does anyone else here have a You Tube Vlog?

@LosingKAL I'm glad to hear you agree that Opti brain is defs a thing :D 

I'm just... I don't even know. It's like most of the time the lights are on but nobody's home. I have to write a 2000 word essay on the physiology of Alzheimer's disease over the next 3 weeks. I can't make my brain function enough to even start, but I need to have at least done the research in the next 3 days before surgery as I doubt I'll be much good afterwards!

I am now at the end of day 17, surgery in *gulp* four days, and I suck at opti. I don't hate it, I just have zero appetite left. 

Your YouTube history is a lot like mine, lol! I even watched the videos of two actual surgeries so I know exactly what happens inside. I told my surgeon I watched them and said it looks like a fun procedure to do, he said it's lots of fun, so at least I know one of us will be enjoying ourselves on the day :D

Three sleeps left @trillions and @Boganlicious!!! So exciting! 

Opti brain is definitely a thing. I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed at the best of times, but I was finding myself starting half a dozen tasks then being unable to prioritise or make decisions- kinda scary really! 

I’m back working this week- luckily I don’t have to go to the office, so I’m comfy in my trackies and a loose shirt.  Glad I’m here though, as I think commuting and the bustle would have done me in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1