zaruse

May 2018 sleevers and bypassians

3 hours ago, trillions said:

I hope you nausea is completely gone soon. Most people seem to feel heaps better after day three post op, so hopefully tomorrow you'll be all good.

I wonder why I'm on nourishing liquids so much quicker? I'm not gonna lie, the Sustagen and the soup are pretty good! I also had a cup of decaf coffee to sip on, which was nice. 

I've been given the all clear to go home. They're just getting my meds ready and and then I have to wait about 2 hours for my hubby to come get me. I can stay in my room til then, though, they're pretty cruisey here. 

Every surgeon is different it seems with progressing through each stage. I made chicken and corn soup (made with kernels instead of creamed corn as creamed corn doesn't strain properly) and drank the liquid for lunch. It was delicious and just what I needed. 

I went outside and walked laps of the driveway. The fresh air did me some good. 

• Like 1

@trillions and @Boganlicious I am glad you are both on the road to recovery.  I hope mine goes well on Monday.

I have Polycystic Kidney Disease so I am a bit worried about that with this surgery as I only have 37% kidney function so if anything goes wrong it could really damage me further.  I guess I am getting nervous.  Only 1 day to go really and tomorrow is my sons 8th birthday so that should take my mind of everything for most of the day.

I am first up on Monday morning.  I have to be checked in by 6.30am.  Feeling tired and just ready for it to be done I think :)

• Like 3

Hey @LosingKAL I was extremely nervous. Before my op everyone was asking me if I was excited but really I was Nervous. The first day or 2 I felt regret but I'm doing much better now and excited for the future. Good luck for Monday. Not long to go now!

Thanks @Boganlicious.  I have heard that many people get the "What the #$*& did I do?" feeling in the first few days.

So glad everything is going well for you :)

• Like 3

23 hours ago, LosingKAL said:

Thanks @Boganlicious.  I have heard that many people get the "What the #$*& did I do?" feeling in the first few days.

So glad everything is going well for you :)

Good luck for tomorrow @LosingKAL!! Will be thinking of you bright and early in the morning. 

3 hours ago, zaruse said:

Good luck for tomorrow @LosingKAL!! Will be thinking of you bright and early in the morning. 

Thanks @zaruse  I am packed and ready for the early morning wake up :)

See you on the other side!!  xxx

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, LosingKAL said:

Thanks @zaruse  I am packed and ready for the early morning wake up :)

See you on the other side!!  xxx

Best of luck. 

How are you going @LosingKAL??

I had my first day back in the office today (worked from home last week).  I need to make sure I’ve got small healthy snacks on hand. I got about 1/4 way through an Opti shake when I had to go off for a meeting, then ended up being gone for 2 hours. By the time I got back to my office i was light headed and a bit out of it! 

Really need to prioritise eating, as I can’t just slam a coffee down now, or shove a sammich into my mouth anymore.  Lesson learned. 

Was nice to hear a few people (who don’t know about WLS) say how well I looked :) 

How is everyone else going? 

• Like 1

@LosingKAL I hope you are starting to feel a bit better after this morning's op. I did post a message for you last night but it's not here :( I did notice straight after I posted that the site was down, so I'm assuming that has something to do with it. Didn't want you to think I'd forgotten about your big day! Sending lots of happy healing vibes your way xx

Hi @zaruse! Wow, back to work already, that seems fast! I can't imagine it at this point. I am now 4 days post op, am still massively full and bloated in the tummy but getting through 1.5 to 2 litres of fluid okay. Mind you I'm doing literally nothing but sitting on the couch sipping fluids and watching TV. I'm still tired and groggy, and as of this afternoon I've developed a really annoying ache/pain in my back approx level with my stomach. I phoned my surgeon's office this arvy and his assistant said if I dont have a temp or nausea/vomiting then it's likely just gas pain. I hope so! I'm too scared to take painkillers because I want to know if something's going wrong, not mask the pain. I am feeling a bit nauseated tonight, but not too bad. No temp. Just an increasingly sharp pain in my back with a steady ache. 

I'm about to brush my teeth and go to bed and hope it's gone tomorrow when I wake up. I've been really lucky up til now - no nausea, no issues with drinking the fluids, pain has been bearable. Can't wait til my bloated stomach goes down, though! 

How did you feel after your first day back at work? I feel exhausted just thinking about it!!

@Boganlicious how are you feeling? Has the nausea settled?

Night all xx

• Like 2

Hi all

Its 3am on Tuesday morning. I got sleeved at 8am yesterday. First cab off the rank. All went well but I had to stay in recovery for three hours due to high blood pressure and high heart rate. Got to the ward at 12.30. Have had bad gas pains in the chest and shoulder all afternoon and night and medication only just takes the edge off. No nausea though. 

Up walking laps every hour or so. Feeling better than I expected. 

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. xxxx

• Like 4

Fantastic news @LosingKAL not about the gas pain but that it went well. 

I'm doing really well. I'm getting bored with clear fluids but apart from that ok. Nausea has gone. My incisions are so itchy it's driving me mad! No redness or oozing though. My dad would always say as a kid that when a cut or scab starts itching it means it's healing. 

I walked to the school yesterday and 2 days in a row I smashed 8000 steps. I've changed my goal to 10 000 steps per day. Only thing is I'm waking up at weird times with insomnia. My nose feels blocked so my throat hurts. I'm also still coughing up phlegm eww. I'm down 5.9kgs including Opti stage so far although I'm going to weigh in yet again in a few hours. I think that's a great effort considering I started my period a couple of days post surgery which can cause fluid retention. 

• Like 2

Happy to see @Trillions, @Boganlicious, @Losingkal had a successful surgery!  

Tomorrow will be the 14 days post op, I only lost 4.7kg so far, even less than 2 weeks pre-op optifast.  Most things are fine with me, no pain, no heartburn, now i can drink faster than beginning, but I got eczema on the back and feel very itchy... maybe it is the side effect of me.

Anyway, feel a bit low at moment, the first month is supposed to be quickest :(, maybe something wrong with me...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, back2normal said:

Happy to see @Trillions, @Boganlicious, @Losingkal had a successful surgery!  

Tomorrow will be the 14 days post op, I only lost 4.7kg so far, even less than 2 weeks pre-op optifast.  Most things are fine with me, no pain, no heartburn, now i can drink faster than beginning, but I got eczema on the back and feel very itchy... maybe it is the side effect of me.

Anyway, feel a bit low at moment, the first month is supposed to be quickest :(, maybe something wrong with me...

Hi @back2normal, you are doing so well, don't feel bad, feel proud of what you've done for your health and your future. The weight comes off quickly for some and more slowly for others.

I think there must be some benefits to losing more slowly, e.g. gives skin a chance to shrink a little. I think at 14 days a loss of 4.7kg is amazing! I weighed myself for the first time this morning and at 5 days post surgery I've only lost 1.5 kgs. 

Be gentle with yourself, feeling a bit low is probably also a natural response to the surgery. Surgery and general anesthetic can affect more than just your physical health. It can take a toll on us mentally as well, no matter how well the surgery goes. 

It sucks when you dont lose as quickly as you'd hoped - but - I dont know about you, but I wouldn't have lost a damn thing if I hadn't had the op so I'm loving every teeny tiny kilo loss :D

You're awesome, you're losing weight, your future is bright... happy days! xxx

7 hours ago, Boganlicious said:

Fantastic news @LosingKAL not about the gas pain but that it went well. 

I'm doing really well. I'm getting bored with clear fluids but apart from that ok. Nausea has gone. My incisions are so itchy it's driving me mad! No redness or oozing though. My dad would always say as a kid that when a cut or scab starts itching it means it's healing. 

I walked to the school yesterday and 2 days in a row I smashed 8000 steps. I've changed my goal to 10 000 steps per day. Only thing is I'm waking up at weird times with insomnia. My nose feels blocked so my throat hurts. I'm also still coughing up phlegm eww. I'm down 5.9kgs including Opti stage so far although I'm going to weigh in yet again in a few hours. I think that's a great effort considering I started my period a couple of days post surgery which can cause fluid retention. 

Wow @Boganlicious, sounds like you are doing incredibly well. Good on you! I'm still tired and woozy, just walking around the house.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LosingKAL said:

Hi all

Its 3am on Tuesday morning. I got sleeved at 8am yesterday. First cab off the rank. All went well but I had to stay in recovery for three hours due to high blood pressure and high heart rate. Got to the ward at 12.30. Have had bad gas pains in the chest and shoulder all afternoon and night and medication only just takes the edge off. No nausea though. 

Up walking laps every hour or so. Feeling better than I expected. 

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. xxxx

@LosingKAL congratulations on making it through!! Very well done, I hope you breeze through the next few days and continue to feel better and better xx

Thank you so much @trillions,  you are always so helpful and comforting.  I feel much much better after reading your reply.  :D

I know everyone is different, slow loss might be helpful for excess skin and other unknown problems.  OK, take a deep breath and keep going. 

Will have an appointment with Dr Moore this afternoon, will see.

• Like 1

Aww @back2normal I'm sorry you're having a tough time. I didn't lose much on Opti and I did it for 3 weeks. 4.5kgs I lost. Don't stress any loss is good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boganlicious said:

Aww @back2normal I'm sorry you're having a tough time. I didn't lose much on Opti and I did it for 3 weeks. 4.5kgs I lost. Don't stress any loss is good. 

Thanks @Boganlicious, I feel better now.  I had appointment with Dr Moore this afternoon.  He said I did a good job, no need to worry about weight, it is on the right track!   The average weight loss is 4kg per month, can last 9 months.   He asked me not to weight myself everyday :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Two weeks post surgery @trillions and I promise just a couple of days after I got home from hospital I was sure I’d never work again! 

It is amazing how quickly our bodies recover. :D

glad to hear you are out and everything went well @LosingKAL

Dont stress about the weight loss- it WILL happen! Slow and steady wins the race. 

I’m still struggling with energy by the end of the day. I aim to tackle it with lots of protein including a powder supp and protein water. I’ve also bought some hydralyte sachets as I don’t think I’m drinking enough. (I get so full and sloshy). Any other suggestions?! 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 10:21 AM, zaruse said:

Oh my gosh you guys - I’m so excited I have to share: I’m in a new ‘ten’!!! 

Start weight: 134.9 

Four weeks later (including 2 weeks pre-op Opti): 119.7

my next goal is to lose 20kgs in 12 weeks, so that I’ll be in double figures for my birthday... B)

Hey @zaruse - sorry for the delayed response, congratulations on the new 10!!! We are nearly the same, you started 1 kg exactly ahead of me, and I can't wait to get into the teens. I'm currently 125.6 kg and desperately want to be in double figures for my birthday in July, but I know there's no way I'm going to lose 26 kgs in 7.5 weeks, lol. 

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me how long after surgery can I start exercising? I know I can walk now, but I'm talking more swimming, aqua aerobics, gym cardio, and weights.

I'm not up to any of it just yet, I'm just curious. I had my first outing today (met friends for coffee) and I really don't think I was ready for it. It took it out of me and I felt quite ill and soooooo cranky!! (I didn't eat or drink, just water). I'm currently day 6, might need a couple more days. It's taking a while to clear the cotton wool from my brain!

3 hours ago, trillions said:

Can anyone tell me how long after surgery can I start exercising? I know I can walk now, but I'm talking more swimming, aqua aerobics, gym cardio, and weights.

I'm not up to any of it just yet, I'm just curious. I had my first outing today (met friends for coffee) and I really don't think I was ready for it. It took it out of me and I felt quite ill and soooooo cranky!! (I didn't eat or drink, just water). I'm currently day 6, might need a couple more days. It's taking a while to clear the cotton wool from my brain!

I don’t know about exercise- but i’d definately avoid any pools until your wounds are 100% sealed!  

Ive not spoken to the surgeon, but I’m avoiding stretching and lifting heavy things as well... not taking any risks. Plus I still don’t have enough energy to do any sustained activity.

have been thinking I need to start doing some stuff with my arms though- they are going to be floppy before I know it!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trillions said:

Hi @trillions my surgeon says 2-4 weeks for pool walking and only once incisions are healed. 

Its 3.50am. I’m awake. The gas pains keep me up and this is my first night at home so first night without strong pain meds. Panadol just doesn’t cut it!

I weighed myself for fun and am 5kgs heavier than when I went into surgery  everything is swollen  I’m sure it will go away in time  I mainly feel tired and windy. Did everyone feel that way first day home?

I got in 600ml fluid yesterday which was the goal my dietician set for me when I was in the hospital. I’m allowed free fluids now and thought that Opti with milk would be great because I love milkshakes and anything creamy but I couldn’t stomach it. Too sweet!  Never thought those words would come from me!

For now I’m sticking to diluted V8 juice, chicken broth and diet cordial. Water does not go down well at all. I’ll try the opti on water again soon. 

Hoping to feel back to myself very soon.  

• Like 2

Agree on things not tasting the same @LosingKAL apple juice tastes rubbish, I tried the higher protein up n go today and while a change from clear fluids was great it tasted like cardboard to me. I managed maybe 1/4. I did buy 2 x breakfast smoothies which I might try tomorrow. I wonder if I will still like custard.

Right now I've been told don't worry too much about sugar content while on liquids only but as I progress to purée, soft foods, solids this will be important. I did love my unsweetened lycée and grape juice blend. 

Yes @LosingKAL I think you can expect to feel rubbish for a little while :o( 

you might feel a bit down at the week 1/2 mark- seems like most people get a bit emotional at that stage. I guess it is just our bodies adjusting?

i thought Opti might be my go-to in a food emergency, but it just goes straight through. 

Dont forget that in the ‘clear liquid’ phase you can have anything without bits that will fit through a straw. So strained cup of soups offers lots of variety!