Sign in to follow this  
back2normal

Any Protein Powders recommended for Sleeve Post-OP?

I am going to have Sleeve surgery on 09/May/2018. 

Can anyone recommend some good protein powders or other good foods for post-op recovery?  I've never had any proteins before, don't know what to choose.   It will be good if I can buy them before surgery.

Thank you so much!

I am guessing that you are talking protein powder?

Even your supermarket is fine, but do check the nutrition panel.  Aim for less than 10 gm carbs/100 dry powder.

Health food shops, supplement warehouses, on-line - all good.  Shop around for best bang for your buck.

Don't go overboard - I bought heaps of Quest bars on-line, now I can't stand them!!  Too sweet, and too synthetic for me now.  

2 hours ago, denzel said:

I am guessing that you are talking protein powder?

Even your supermarket is fine, but do check the nutrition panel.  Aim for less than 10 gm carbs/100 dry powder.

Health food shops, supplement warehouses, on-line - all good.  Shop around for best bang for your buck.

Don't go overboard - I bought heaps of Quest bars on-line, now I can't stand them!!  Too sweet, and too synthetic for me now.  

Thanks Denzel.  Yes, I am talking about protein powders. 

Do you have some good powders to recommend?   Still have no idea which powder I shall buy.

3 hours ago, back2normal said:

Thanks Denzel.  Yes, I am talking about protein powders. 

Do you have some good powders to recommend?   Still have no idea which powder I shall buy.

Nope, I just buy what ever is on special, with  less than 10 gm carbs/100 dry powder  :) . 

• Like 1

My dietician specified per serve 10 grams or less of carbs and 20 grams or more of protein. 

My husband orders from bulk nutrients and I've tried their protein powders. Per serve is 23 grams protein and 1.6 of carbs. 

• Like 1

I was recommended by the doctor and dietitian Sustagen powder for first 4 weeks.Its one that bodybuilders and the old people have. Have it with light milk to keep the fat content down. Be careful not to drink too much as it fills your new (no stomach ) very quickly.

• Like 1

Hi back2normal

There are 2 that I use and they have no taste and no flavour

I put it in my smoothies, baking, cups of tea/coffee basically everything.

1.  Boomers whey protein isolate

2. O.M.A Pure protein whey protein isolate

They are very high in protein low in Carbs and low in sugar.As I said these are my 2 go to's

there is also a website where you can buy cheaply so message me as I'm not sure if we are aloud to mention other web sites here

I am coming up to 4 years post op from gastic sleeve and maintaining a 67-69 kg loss.

all the best on your journey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I also use Bulk Nutrients Thermo Whey products and can recommend them. I have tried all the flavour options and the Cookies/Cream and the Chocolate seem to be good for me. I use 1/4 skimmed milk and 3/4 water and they mix just fine and taste ok as well. The online service from them is outstanding as well.

I got Isowhey Ivory Coast choc- probably not the best out there- but it is readily avail from chemist warehouse... and has a rich choc flavour without being too sweet. 

Hi there! Try ‘Happy Way’ protein powder, seems to be the only one that doesn’t upset my stomach and tastes not too bad either. I came across them on Instagram and noticed a lot of dietitians and fitness peeps recommended them so gave it a try... I got the choc whey protein powder :)