Sign in to follow this  
zaruse

Roux en y bypass

Have you had or are thinking about a roux en y gastric bypass? 

What made you decide on this over any other WLS procedure?

Would love to hear the stories of others in the same boat!

And I’ll go first!! Hehe

When I first met the surgeon, I’d done quite a bit of research on the sleeve- I thought it seemed like the best option for me. 

After meeting the surgeon, I read through all the literature and decided on the RNY, mostly because:

- RNY can help reduce (and eliminate for some people) reflux

- RNY skips the duodenum- which reduces the amount of nutrients absorbed - which means you aren’t getting as many calls from the good you eat.

- the stomach isn’t actually taken out.

Risk of complications down the track can be slightly higher with the RNY over a sleeve... My surgeon aid if I were planning to move to a desert island and will never see a doctor again, she would do a sleeve! 

Im only two weeks into my post RNY journey, but so far so good! 

• Like 1

I'm considering a bypass, which one will be up to the surgeon because I'm an ex-bander. I do perceive the bypass as fairly drastic, but they're finding high rates of stomach stretching with the sleeve and of course reflux. I guess I have a bit more reading to do.

• Like 1

Hi. I had a sleeve done in 2014 and lost about 50kg but have put 20 of them back on and have a large appetite again. Went to see my surgeon over some ongoing abdominal pain and while there asked him about being re-sleeved. He'd done some tests that we're waiting on the results of, but he's thinking I might be better off with the Roux En Y because I'm one of the people for whom sleeving is considered a failure. Bit nervous about the idea but also keen on going back to being a regular sized person with all the health and psychological benefits that entails.Hi. I had a sleeve done in 2013 and lost about 50kg but have put 20 of them back on and have a large appetite again. Went to see my surgeon over some ongoing abdominal pain and while there asked him about being re-sleeved. He'd done some tests that we're waiting on the results of, but he's thinking I might be better off with the Roux En Y because I'm one of the people for whom sleeving is considered a failure. Bit nervous about the idea but also keen on going back to being a regular sized person with all the health and psychological benefits that entails.

WOW, congratulations on you loss @R.J. 

I’m going to look only at the positives- 30kg down is still awesome!

Would the surgeon reduce your stomach capacity again when he does the bypass? 

Not being able to absorb as many calories forever might help you reach your goals too, even if it means a lifetime of supplements. 

Let us know how you go with the testing!

Thanks Zaruse. 30kg down is definitely better, but I don't think it has plateaued yet. I'm still gaining slowly and really battling with a big appetite again. He would reduce stomach capacity again, plus the reduced absorption might get me where I need to go. Seeing him again on 20 June so will have a better idea then about what's going on. 

• Like 1

Does your weight loss team include a phsychologist as well?  They might be able to help identify any triggers that aren’t purely physiological? 

I had a Psych Assessment prior to the original surgery, but not an ongoing one as part of my team. However, I do see another regularly for other issues.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 3:38 PM, R.J. said:

I'm still gaining slowly and really battling with a big appetite again. He would reduce stomach capacity again

I have had to go back to basics - cut food up into morsels  and (20, 20, 20) chew for 20 seconds on each side of the mouth, swallow and wait 20 seconds to reload tiny utensil.   This slows down my eating, and I feel full sooner.  I have also gone to see a LCHF dietitian to help me with meal planning. 

• Like 1