Sign in to follow this  
kathh74

Howdy

Hi all,

I'm being sleeved (which sound like I should be getting a tatt!) by Dr. Paul Burton on the 13/06. I have to do 4 weeks of Optifast prior, 2 weeks with veggies, 2 just opti but I actually started early as I had some work deadlines that I really didn't want to be hangry for. So far I'm coping well most days, I think might struggle once I give up the veggies though!

I've been a life long yo yo dieter and for about the last 7 years I've had type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea. I've just become a grandma at the ripe old age of 44 and decided I don't want to croak so with a BMI of 43 I decided it was time to get my crap together.

I chose Paul Burton as he was recommended by another surgeon. I choose the sleeve as I would struggle with making follow up appointments for the band and the pop quiz I did of people in my circle who'd had the band done had negative experiences.

I also accessed my super for the gap. We have top PHI so it was only $4600 and I figured the way I was going I wouldn't live to use my super, plus I spend about $150 a month on diabetes medication that, hopefully, I'll be able to cease. So it should pay for itself.

Glad to be here and have found some great info on these boards - thank you to all you who have contributed :)

Kathryn.

• Like 3

Welcome @kathh74 and well done on what you have achieved!

:) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kathh74 said:

Hi all,

I'm being sleeved (which sound like I should be getting a tatt!) by Dr. Paul Burton on the 13/06. I have to do 4 weeks of Optifast prior, 2 weeks with veggies, 2 just opti but I actually started early as I had some work deadlines that I really didn't want to be hangry for. So far I'm coping well most days, I think might struggle once I give up the veggies though!

I've been a life long yo yo dieter and for about the last 7 years I've had type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea. I've just become a grandma at the ripe old age of 44 and decided I don't want to croak so with a BMI of 43 I decided it was time to get my crap together.

I chose Paul Burton as he was recommended by another surgeon. I choose the sleeve as I would struggle with making follow up appointments for the band and the pop quiz I did of people in my circle who'd had the band done had negative experiences.

I also accessed my super for the gap. We have top PHI so it was only $4600 and I figured the way I was going I wouldn't live to use my super, plus I spend about $150 a month on diabetes medication that, hopefully, I'll be able to cease. So it should pay for itself.

Glad to be here and have found some great info on these boards - thank you to all you who have contributed :)

Kathryn.

Welcome Kathryn :) congratulations on the big change!

Wow, just opti with nothing else for 2 weeks? That's a huge challenge, I've never seen anyone have to give up everything but opti - do you at least get 4 a day? All the best with it! 

• Like 1

Nope 3 opti a day. :( I think I'll be spending a lot of time sleeping so I'm not awake to be hungry. I'm not sure why he's being so tough. Maybe with the type 2 diabetes and I also have hemochromatosis that he's looking to get the liver in the best condition he can.

• Like 1

Welcome Kath. You will find lots of very good information on this forum and some fabulous, supportive people to help you through the hard days and celebrate with you along the way. Don't ever hesitate to ask questions about the process or life post surgery - we've all been there. Good luck with the 2 weeks of just Opti that your surgeon has advised. Surgeons and dieticians have your health as their main concern and advise us all differently based on our individual needs.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Molly 

I've given up the veggies and I'm just not coping. I can't get through a work day :( I've just sent hubby to the supermarket for some mushrooms and onions to cook me. I'm thinking I might just have to have veggies every second day to keep functioning.

• Like 1

I'm sorry its not going well Kathh74, its definitely a huge adjustment.

Have you called your surgeon and explained you're having trouble? The thing is, the optifast is so important to shrink the liver down so they can safely move it during surgery. There would be nothing worse then them deciding while you're open on the table they can't proceed. Your surgeon may be able to suggest an alternative that will give the same results, or a compromise on what he's expecting but still within his protocol

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with Jellybelly89. Give your surgeon or dietitian a call and be frank about your issues with dropping the veggies. You won’t be the first or the last person to have this issue. Better to be upfront about it and have the support of your team.

Thanks everyone. I don't have a dietician but I do have the surgeon that trained my surgeon on a board with me so I asked him last night at the board meeting and he said that was too tough and have some veggies but not to tell my surgeon he said I could ;). He said it will make absolutely no difference and he never makes his patients do more than 3 weeks opti with veggies. I think even every second day will help.

I never thought I'd look forward to having veggies so much :) I am feeling much better - less than 2 weeks to go.