Sign in to follow this  
Lady B

Your pre- WLS life - and am I worthy?

What a delightfully supportive and informative forum. 

I'm waiting a year for PHI to kick in (Nov), and researching all I can in the meantime. I've lost around 15kg in the last few months, while I wait. This is very difficult with the knowledge in the back of my mind that I will not be able to scoff ever again from the end of the year ;)
My question for other users - what was your weightloss journey like pre-op? For context: I have, for years, yo-yo'd in extreme amounts. 60kg up, 40kg down, another 30 up, etc. I estimate I've gained and lost around 600kg over the past 25 years. 

I know I can lose the weight when I get in the groove. But the gaping hole - the deprivation and hunger - eventually drive me to give up. It becomes impossible to continue to distract, use mindfulness, self esteem, willpower, self evaluation, and all the other behavioural techniques when I am fighting hormones, physical fatigue, and that overstretched stomach.

On one hand, I'm afraid I'll be rejected for surgery based on this occasional ability to deprive myself below a 30bmi. One fellow in another forum said "if you can do it, then just do it". Missing the point much? 

On the other hand, I feel like this huge struggle over 25 years is quite enough nonsense. Remove at least part of the problem and I'll be far less likely to fall off the wagon. 

Am I justified in seeking WLS? What was your pre-op struggle like? Was your weight quite steady, or did you fluctuate like me? And why - though I know I've done the very hard yards - do I feel like I don't deserve this opportunity? 

Thanks for your time and input

Go for it.

I had my gastric sleeve done when I was 51.  My Mum put me on my first diet when I was about 13.

Like you, I fluctuated. I am guessing that I have gained and lost a  good couple of hundred kgs over the years.  My best was dropping from 82.5 kg to 57 kg - I think that I was only 57 kg for a day!  And I STARVED the whole freakin' time!!! :o   (*Hint* - if you go low carb, your MUST increase the healthy fats and oils, or you do starve).  I have spent the vast majority of my adult life overweight.  NO MORE! :D

When I had my surgery my BMI was 30.something, but I had obesity related health problems.

I have NO REGRETS.

All the best!

:) 

I put off weight loss surgery since 2014 as I couldn't afford phi. I was 103 - 104kgs then. I was 118.1kgs in April of this year. Slowly my weight kept creeping up. My phi had kicked in and the last straw was seeing myself in the photos at my daughter's birthday party in February. I had my appointment in the public system only to be told I still had a 2 year wait. 

I chose to access my super for the gap with my husband's blessing. At first he was against it as I didn't have much to begin with and being a stay at home mum (currently looking for work) I don't have money going into my super. I had my surgery on the 17th May this year and my current weight is 99.8kgs. I have 45kgs to go. 

My problem was I was hungry all the time. On Saturday I had a treat - brown rice sushi (I don't eat carbs apart from sweet potato as a rule). I managed 3 pieces whereas Pre surgery I would have eaten 3 x handrolls (I wish I was joking). I also would have carbs with every meal to fill me up because they're cheap and on one income we struggle sometimes. These days I have protein and if I can fit it in some veggies and sweet potato or green peas. I don't like pumpkin much. 

If you are paying (via phi) I can’t see any reason for the surgeon to deny you, although I understand the fear. I was terrified I wouldn’t be allowed to have the surgery too. 

Nobody would opt for surgery as a first resort, nor is it the ‘easy’ option. 

Thanks guys, your input means a lot. 

• Like 1

I don't think most surgeons give much of a crap if you can diet yourself to a reasonable BMI, if you have the money and the PHI, they'll do the op. Besides which, you absolutely do "qualify" - you're overweight, you have dieted and tried many things, and you gain the weight back. I've seen on this forum (years ago now) where people who only needed to lose 15 kgs got a sleeve. I thought that was strange, but to those people, that 15kgs was an insurmountable amount without the assistance of WLS.
It should be cheaper though, what we save health wise in future costs is a lot of money.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2018 at 2:13 PM, Boganlicious said:

I put off weight loss surgery since 2014 as I couldn't afford phi. I was 103 - 104kgs then. I was 118.1kgs in April of this year. Slowly my weight kept creeping up. My phi had kicked in and the last straw was seeing myself in the photos at my daughter's birthday party in February. I had my appointment in the public system only to be told I still had a 2 year wait. 

I chose to access my super for the gap with my husband's blessing. At first he was against it as I didn't have much to begin with and being a stay at home mum (currently looking for work) I don't have money going into my super. I had my surgery on the 17th May this year and my current weight is 99.8kgs. I have 45kgs to go. 

My problem was I was hungry all the time. On Saturday I had a treat - brown rice sushi (I don't eat carbs apart from sweet potato as a rule). I managed 3 pieces whereas Pre surgery I would have eaten 3 x handrolls (I wish I was joking). I also would have carbs with every meal to fill me up because they're cheap and on one income we struggle sometimes. These days I have protein and if I can fit it in some veggies and sweet potato or green peas. I don't like pumpkin much. 

Hey sorry didn’t mean to repost!

was wondering where your located and how much your gap was? 

My PHI waiting period isn’t up till end of Feb 2019 but I’d like to know what I’m up for in advance 

Was this at one of your PHI providers? Thats alot more than I was expecting!