Startingover14

Band to bypass

Hi,

Seeking advice from anyone who has undergone gastric bypass. I'm approaching seven years with a gastric band, and I'm 7kgs away from a healthy BMI. 

I visited my gastric band surgeon yesterday and was discussing the ongoing issues I have with my band such as stuck moments and anxiety with it comes to eating food out in public. 

He suggested seeing the dietitian first to refresh my knowledge etc. But did mention if I'm still not happy to convert to a bypass. 

I have few questions:

1. Side effects of the bypass?

2. Long-term effects? I'm currently 36

3. Is it worth undergoing such an operation for 7kgs? 

All feedback welcome. 

I'm a band to bypass, booked in for a month or so's time.
But my band was monstrous, then it slipped.

I don't agree with you that it's "for 7 kgs", it's for the ability to eat normal, healthy food in small amounts without the fear of stuck moments, being able to eat normally in public, being able to eat in the morning etc.

But it's another general anaesthetic, another major surgery, another $6 or $7 k in out of pocket costs, another recovery period. The bypass means a lifetime of supplements - iron tablets, vitamins, balancing small amounts of sugar and fat so you don't get diarrhoea, the risk of malnutrition etc. It's not a simple fix. Can you remove some fluid and regain the ability to eat a wider range of food, and just go slowly from now on? If you can maintain what you've already achieved, I personally don't think it's worth it. But you're the only one who can make the decision.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rumplebear said:

I'm a band to bypass, booked in for a month or so's time.
But my band was monstrous, then it slipped.

I don't agree with you that it's "for 7 kgs", it's for the ability to eat normal, healthy food in small amounts without the fear of stuck moments, being able to eat normally in public, being able to eat in the morning etc.

But it's another general anaesthetic, another major surgery, another $6 or $7 k in out of pocket costs, another recovery period. The bypass means a lifetime of supplements - iron tablets, vitamins, balancing small amounts of sugar and fat so you don't get diarrhoea, the risk of malnutrition etc. It's not a simple fix. Can you remove some fluid and regain the ability to eat a wider range of food, and just go slowly from now on? If you can maintain what you've already achieved, I personally don't think it's worth it. But you're the only one who can make the decision.

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't have any fill in my band. I haven't had any for the past three years. However, my band works super well.

So I am still unable to eat red meats and breads etc. However, I don't know any different as it's been like that since day 1. 

It's something I need to think about seriously. It's such a big operation. 

On 7/4/2018 at 10:12 AM, Startingover14 said:

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't have any fill in my band. I haven't had any for the past three years. However, my band works super well.

So I am still unable to eat red meats and breads etc. However, I don't know any different as it's been like that since day 1. 

It's something I need to think about seriously. It's such a big operation. 

ANY UPDATES