Hi my name is Mike i am in adelaide Australia and very keen on any information i can be given about the procedures prior to the actual operation. How many appointments are needed is there any pure surgery diet needed. I am looking at going through Ashford clinic in adelaide i have heard good reports and after health insurance it's only $4000 total out of pocket. I just want to know more about how long exactly in months is the pie surgery stuff including doctors consultation etc and then how well people have actually lost weight prior to leaving hospital. I know after surgery you're meant to have liquid only diet for a month or so but i would like first hand experiences on how it is to live with as a day to day thing and is it just multivitamins needed to keep the body I check.

I am only in my early 30s but been obese half my life and currently topping 140kgs and i need to be around 85-90kgs to be fit again.

I know my bmi is i think 41 and i have high blood pressure and diabetes non insulin dependent thank God but i definitely need to change my life and lifestyle before i hit the big 40!!!!!

Thankyou all 

Hi and welcome! 

I had sips surgery which is sleeve with approx 3 metres of intestines being bypassed. This is my surgeon's choice of surgery for those with diabetes as you don't get wild fluctuations with sugar. I'm in Perth so I can't help with a surgeon recommendation unless you want to fly over here. 

My surgery was May 17th I did 3 weeks of Optifast prior to surgery and the 2 days before surgery was nourishing liquids only (no solid food however everyone's instructions vary). All up including the 3 weeks of Optifast I have lost 19.9kgs. My bmi was 45 and put me in the morbidly obese category. My bmi is now 37.4 and for the first time in years I'm under 100kgs. 

Absolutely no regrets here. Research all the surgical options and the differences. Lastly your surgeon will be able to make a recommendation on type of surgery based on your individual circumstances. Best of luck. 

• Like 1

Okay well I've done some research and bypass seems the best long term i just hope it does help lose weight as quick as ppl have said as its allot of money for me even with health insurance its over 4000

I'd call the clinic you're wanting to use and ask if they have any information seminars - often places will have these info nights to go through the process, expectations and often have people who have had the surgery for you to talk with. Pretty much every WLS comes with a pre-op diet with a few weeks of Optifast and the post op diet is liquids > puree > soft food > whole food but how long you stay at each stage is at the discretion of the clinic. 

I think its really important to understand that none of this is a quick fix... the goal should never be losing weight quickly, its using a tool to limit your bodies capabilities while you change your lifestyle habits and mindset towards food. The bypass is still the gold standard in WLS (particularly due to its longevity) but there are still people who fail with it like any other kind. 

• Like 1

Hi @Bigm666

pre-op appointments:

dietician x1

surgeon: initial appointment, then needed blood tests and and endoscopy (performed by surgeon) then a final consultation before we locked in surgery.  

Have a look at the May bypassians and sleevers in the sleeve sub forum, a few of us have given pretty much blow by blow accounts of our experiences. 

Im 2 months post surgery and have lost over 26kgs. There are lots of things that I simply can’t eat- they cause discomfort or make me feel ill.

It can be frustrating at times, but I’m so glad I have had the surgery. I feel so much better and my energy is virtually back to what it was pre surgery (which wasn’t awesome, to be honest)

happy to answer any specific questions you might have.  

On 7/6/2018 at 7:53 PM, zaruse said:

Hi @Bigm666

pre-op appointments:

dietician x1

surgeon: initial appointment, then needed blood tests and and endoscopy (performed by surgeon) then a final consultation before we locked in surgery.  

Have a look at the May bypassians and sleevers in the sleeve sub forum, a few of us have given pretty much blow by blow accounts of our experiences. 

Im 2 months post surgery and have lost over 26kgs. There are lots of things that I simply can’t eat- they cause discomfort or make me feel ill.

It can be frustrating at times, but I’m so glad I have had the surgery. I feel so much better and my energy is virtually back to what it was pre surgery (which wasn’t awesome, to be honest)

happy to answer any specific questions you might have.  

Wow 26kgs but what was your start weight.

I am serious about bypass that's my only option I don't mind taking vitamins and protein powder is needed but exercise is my main issue lack of motivators.

What about alcohol consumption and do you have to actually chew food smaller to fit your new stomach. Are you sensitive to chilly flavours I love jalapeño and peri peri.

Do you remember your put of pocket expense for surgery I mean with health cover 

You have to be very careful with alcohol afterwards, and they actually mostly recommend that you drink none. And yes, you have to chew your food very thoroughly. Not sure about chilli. My out pf pocket is more like $7k, with all the gaps for the appointments and the anaesthetist. and more to come after the surgery. That would be a little less if I had extras cover. My friends with the sleeve can drink alcohol, but slowly and not with food for at least 6 months afterwards. You can drink alcohol with the band, but it's good to remember it's largely empty calories.

Hi @Bigm666, my start weight was 134.9 (but actually i’d been higher than this, that was just the number for my first appt)

right now I’m 107.1, and I’m stoked to say I’ve just hit the halfway mark (if I’m aiming for 80kg), in 14 weeks including 2 weeks Opti.  They say the surgery can give you 60-80% of excess weight loss, so I’m a tiny bit nervous about how I’ll go for the rest. 

I’ve not had alcohol since surgery. I’ve never been a massive drinker, but my tum is far more sensitive now, and I just haven’t been brave enough/can’t be bothered. As @rumplebear says, they are empty cals. 

You need to take tiny bites and chew chew chew. Trust me, absent eating is not something you want to be doing post op!

i haven’t actually done the final sums, but i’d say all in I would be approx $6k out of pocket. Which is nothing when you spread it out over a happier, healthier life. 

3 minutes ago, zaruse said:

Hi @Bigm666, my start weight was 134.9 (but actually i’d been higher than this, that was just the number for my first appt)

right now I’m 107.1, and I’m stoked to say I’ve just hit the halfway mark (if I’m aiming for 80kg), in 14 weeks including 2 weeks Opti.  They say the surgery can give you 60-80% of excess weight loss, so I’m a tiny bit nervous about how I’ll go for the rest. 

I’ve not had alcohol since surgery. I’ve never been a massive drinker, but my tum is far more sensitive now, and I just haven’t been brave enough/can’t be bothered. As @rumplebear says, they are empty cals. 

You need to take tiny bites and chew chew chew. Trust me, absent eating is not something you want to be doing post op!

i haven’t actually done the final sums, but i’d say all in I would be approx $6k out of pocket. Which is nothing when you spread it out over a happier, healthier life. 

Thanks yeah well I'm 142kg last I checked and 185cm so I think about 90 be perfect for my built I still have to find out more from docs if any hidden fees and yet to find the right health care so I'm a while away yet but I'm only 34 next month 

That is tall! I’m only 175, so should be aiming for 75-78 but I’d be stoked to hit 80. 

And I’m 36, and plan on living a long and active life!

I reached a point where my weight was seriously impacting my life- I wasn’t doing the activities I love, I was constantly conscious about my weight - things like chair load limits, and taking up so much space in chairs and things. Enough was enough. 

Ps. I love food, and I still do. But now I have tiny bits and I’m done. 

And yes, I’ve eaten spicy foods already, probably shouldn’t have, they don’t always sit well! 

• Haha 1

I hear you. But I think its easier being male and fat but I still understand how people look at us like were not normal and yes as I'm getting older I'm getting more medical issues due to weight its just hard for me to save money like that on pension

Tag zaruse

The other thing they told me about alcohol and the bypass was that since alcohol is usually processed in your stomach, and you're now bypassing your stomach, you will blow higher on an RBT than before. So the old "1 standard drink per hour" rule goes out the window. They prefer and recommend no alcohol, but if you must - social occasions and the like - absolutely don't drive.

19 hours ago, Bigm666 said:

I hear you. But I think its easier being male and fat but I still understand how people look at us like were not normal and yes as I'm getting older I'm getting more medical issues due to weight its just hard for me to save money like that on pension

Tag zaruse

I hear you. It is a lot of money. But I would save at least $100 per week simply through not buying my lunch each day, and the sneaky ‘driving home’ snacks.

Not to mention less money spent on evening meals. 

if you go out for dinner or lunch, you order an entree only, and don’t need/can’t fit a drink, let alone dessert! 

just in food savings alone, your payback timeframe could be as little as 12 months. 

On 7/12/2018 at 5:05 PM, zaruse said:

I hear you. It is a lot of money. But I would save at least $100 per week simply through not buying my lunch each day, and the sneaky ‘driving home’ snacks.

Not to mention less money spent on evening meals. 

if you go out for dinner or lunch, you order an entree only, and don’t need/can’t fit a drink, let alone dessert! 

just in food savings alone, your payback timeframe could be as little as 12 months. 

how have you been going these past few weeks coming to the end of JULY now

my birthday 4 sleeps away :D big 34 so when I do the OP i will be 35 and when I am fit and healthy new man I will be 36 coz I give it a good 12months to lose the 50-60 KGS and tone up abit and maintain it :D then i can go hunting for a WIFEY :P 

Hi!

im doing ok. Still ticking the kgs off- I’m 3kgs off my bday goal... 

feeling better and more energetic all the time. Been doing stuff now that I wouldn’t have done a few months ago- so that is good. 

Still have a long way to go, but beginning to feel less like ‘that fat girl’ and more like myself.