rumplebear

August 2018 surgeries

Anyone else having their surgery in August 2018? Band, sleeve, bypass, it doesn't matter.

Ooo me I am! 15th August and getting the sleeve. Everything is paid for, all tests have been done. Started opti today and haven't failed yay

Getting  sleeved on 31 August... started optifast yesterday... going okay so far

Good luck August gang! 

Bypass 15th August here, starting Optifast tomorrow. Looking forward to it, it's come quite quickly.

• Like 1

Me!

Surgery 6am Monday and I’m kinda freaking out about it.  Which probably explains why I’m posting on a forum at 1am on a school night!!

Anyone else nervous?

• Like 2

I'm not nervous because I've done it before, I'm not loving the Optifast phase, tho it's easier this time around as I can have 4 shakes a day plus veggies/salads, and only 2 weeks. Last time it was 3 shakes, no other food and was for 5 weeks. I wish I was on the morning list, easier to fast while you're asleep!

I agree, Optifast isn’t great.  I’m way more of a savoury person than sweet and I find that they’re sooooo sweet.  Didn’t mind the shakes at the beginning but now I’m at the end of my second week all I can think about is vegemite on toast!

I have a latex allergey so I always get to go first for any surgery, procedure, or basically anything in a medical setting.  Something about a build up of latex in the air throughout the day which clears overnight.  While the allergy part sucks it’s a definite plus to be first on the list for everything :)

I’m not nervous about the after surgery part, I’m excited about change and looking forward to getting my life back on track.  It’s just the surgery and anaesthetic that worries me.  They make such a big deal about the risks and obviously it’s not ideal to go through all that when you’re so overweight.  I know they just tell you so that you’re fully informed but I have anxiety issues so of course I’ve blown it completely out of proportion and have panic moments when I think I’m for sure going to die on the table.

• Like 1

I don't want vegemite on toast, but I'd love a hard boiled egg. Weird cravings! Day 3 today, I actually think it's the hardest and I feel the yukkiest.

10 hours ago, Bigm666 said:

I asked at a local Terry White if they would match that price, and they did. Winning!

I had a sleeve done on Friday 3rd August and got out of hospital today. Hated the optifast shakes but was OK knowing it was only for 2 weeks, lost 10kg during pre-op.

Am finding it hard to drink enough to be full cos it feels like every time I feel like I'm filling up I need to pee.

Apart from that all is good and recovery is going well. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, David23 said:

I had a sleeve done on Friday 3rd August and got out of hospital today. Hated the optifast shakes but was OK knowing it was only for 2 weeks, lost 10kg during pre-op.

Am finding it hard to drink enough to be full cos it feels like every time I feel like I'm filling up I need to pee.

1 minute ago, David23 said:
5 minutes ago, David23 said:

3 hours ago, David23 said:

Hey, 

the needing to pee thing for me is so normal after ANY surgery. Even when I was only sipping very small amounts I was still up and down heaps to pee. Keep sipping it's important to stay hydrated and your bladder will settle. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, David23 said:

How did you lose 10kgs in 2 weeks is that just with optifast shakes only?

how many did you drink a day and do you continue post op for a few weeks?

On 8/7/2018 at 12:21 AM, Bigm666 said:

How did you lose 10kgs in 2 weeks is that just with optifast shakes only?

I've set a goal of 10 kgs as well. 4 shakes a day, plus added vegies or salad. I don't like salad so I'm having soups made with only vegies and stock, or stirfry vegies.

how many did you drink a day and do you continue post op for a few weeks?

4 a day. I'm only drinking 3 though most days and just adding a cup of vegie soup and a bit of extra protein powder. Yes, fluids continue afterwards while your stomach heals. I assume 2 weeks for me, but it does vary, then onto puree. Fluids is anything that can go through a thin straw, like shakes, thin soups. Pureed is then a bit thicker. I like the taste of one of the optifast shakes so I'll probably keep going with that mostly.

Hi guys sorry for the delay. I was told 3 shakes a day and vegies but I struggled with the shakes so got some optislim bars. My diet for the 2 weeks was

Breakfast and lunch - shake

Morning snack - diet jelly

Afternoon snack - carrot

Tea - veggie soup

Desert - optislim bar

I had 1 coffee in the morning, 1 iced herbal tea that I made and only water apart from that to drink, and I was still working as a baker which is pretty physical.

Hope that can help

• Like 1

Hey August gang!

So I had my sleeve done on Monday morning and now I’m home and feeling way better than I expected to at this stage. I’m getting by just fine on Panadol for pain relief and managing to keep up with my required fluid intake. No issues at all except for a very loud gurgling tummy which I’m hoping will ease in time.  When I say loud I mean it is really LOUD.  Does anyone know if this is normal and if it’s forever? 

As of this morning I’ve lost 7kgs so far (3.5 on the pre-op diet and 3.5 since Monday morning) which I’m pretty darn happy about :))

• Like 2

hi i had surgery 8/8/2018 , i had removal of failed lapband , gastric sleeve , abdominal hernia repair which doc said was huge . and last hiatus hernia repair .... 

so im day 5 postop

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, shells18 said:

, i had removal of failed lapband , gastric sleeve , abdominal hernia repair which doc said was huge . and last hiatus hernia repair ....

Wow, so they took the band out and sleeved in the one op? 

hi yes they did , im 6 days postop . could you answer is most people on this site lapbanders or sleeve ?