colinmc400

How long til the surgeons cut you loose?

I have a follow up with Dr Dolan tomorrow and am 11 months post sleeve. Everything has gone as expected and i have no ongoing health issues. My goal weight was set at 90kgs, or a loss of 46kgs.I am at 90.4 today.

At what point do the surgeons cut you loose, with no further follow up required?

Depends on the surgeon.  I think that I saw mine only once post-sleeve for sleeve things, but I did email updates (which they never responded to).

Righto. I really don't think i need go past tomorrows appointment to be honest. At goal weight, no issues from surgery, head in the right space. Time to get on with it myself, unless things go wrong, or problems develop me thinks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, colinmc400 said:

Righto. I really don't think i need go past tomorrows appointment to be honest. At goal weight, no issues from surgery, head in the right space. Time to get on with it myself, unless things go wrong, or problems develop me thinks.

At goal weight, no issues from surgery, head in the right space.

Well done!!!  :) 

On 9/10/2018 at 1:52 PM, colinmc400 said:

I have a follow up with Dr Dolan tomorrow and am 11 months post sleeve. Everything has gone as expected and i have no ongoing health issues. My goal weight was set at 90kgs, or a loss of 46kgs.I am at 90.4 today.

At what point do the surgeons cut you loose, with no further follow up required?

Does your surgeon include a team to support you? 

I’m only a few months post op, had one session with surgeon so far with another one scheduled soon. 

But the team includes nutritionist and excercise physiologist- that I understand are on tap pretty much for ever? 

12 hours ago, zaruse said:

Does your surgeon include a team to support you? 

I’m only a few months post op, had one session with surgeon so far with another one scheduled soon. 

But the team includes nutritionist and excercise physiologist- that I understand are on tap pretty much for ever? 

Umm not sure and have never really thought to ask, as i have been pretty good at managing my own progress. In my 11 months since the sleeve, i have seen the surgeon 3 x times and the dietician once and all has been well. i have no doubt that if there were issues, or i was struggling with the new diet i could have gone back more, but haven't needed to.

• Like 1

Ok slightly surprised, as Dr Dolan wants me to come back in another 6 months. He could not have been more happy (and those that know him, know he is not always a happy character). More than happy with my progress, blood work was very good (especially cholesterol and fasting insulin) and he even commented how i looked in good shape (well 300km a week on your bike will help with that). He thought i might loose another 3-4kgs, but said he would be happy where i am now.

So just surprised he wanted me to go back. Spose it helps to keep me focused and on track, in case i were to slip back.

• Like 2

Well done on reaching goal weight :)

Research shows those who engage with their surgeons or support teams keep off more weight over the course of their life. I think it's because we can become complacent that at between 1-3 years post op we're maintaining our weights with relative ease. Life goes back to normal, which can include letting exercise slip and old habits to reappear. Then BANG, before you know it you're on the regain train. This is what I'm currently facing. It's freaking hard to deal with, let me tell you.

I am still going to my surgeon at almost 3 years post op, and will likely have yearly catch ups from now on (went from 3 --> 6 --> 12 month check ups over my post op course). I've got to find a new dietitian because the one he recommended was a knob and we didn't click. Anyhoo, my rambling reply is aimed at one message that you should take on board - this surgery is for LIFE, maintenance is HARD and you need to remain ever vigilant for old habits returning. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 1:22 PM, colinmc400 said:

Hello did it take 11 months to lose 46kgs or did you have moments of fluctuations or plateaus. Most people I know lose at a rate of about 1.5kg a week? Just curious

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, Bigm666 said:

Hello did it take 11 months to lose 46kgs or did you have moments of fluctuations or plateaus. Most people I know lose at a rate of about 1.5kg a week? Just curious

There were a few weeks were I lost nothing, especially early on. Its pretty disheartening when you make such a big change and are eating so little and the scales seem to thing differently. I did swap scales after about 10 weeks, to a good digital set, to get a more accurate idea of what was happening, instead of trying to line the needle up with a number on my old scale and even loosing a few gms was worth having.

I did go a period of many weeks, were it was more or less 1kg per week. I am now at 88.6kg, so the change has slowed right down, but I am stoked at the progress and would happily sit where I am right now. 

5 yrs post sleeve.  I dont remember the 1st yr, might have been 3 monthly after initial post op stuff. My surgeon does yearly, bloods & follow ups and at times, gastrophys to check everything is ok. They have a dietitian in the rooms too. I feel like I could phone for info or make an appt any time if I had concerns, and have when I needed advice on meds that may have had issues with the sleeve.  No 'cutting loose"

• Like 1