Hi everyone,

I'm getting sleeved on 10/10/18, any other sleevers about to go under?? if so where are you hailing from, Im excited and nervous at the same time. putting on weight in the lead up as I keep thinking "OMG what if I can never have this nice food again, or the enjoyment that I get from eating it " I am not alone :-(

• Like 1

Hi Fandangle, WOW! we are both having our surgeries on the same day! I’m having mine at Berwick- where are you having yours? I’m excited but a little anxious about starting the Opti next week. Please keep in touch and let me know how your doing :)

Hi Fandangle and Mouse-mum. I'm also an October sleever, although a week after both of you- 16th October. Also feeling nervous and excited!

I have had a few too many "last" tim-tams, but am trying to think of the surgery not as future deprivation but a fabulous tool to reduce hunger and stomach capacity and help me on the way to healthy, sensible eating and a healthier relationship with food. I am just about to start the pre-op Optifast.

Best wishes to you both :-)

• Like 3

Hi Mum2three, it won’t be long now!  I had a home sleep study last night so am feeling a bit tired today; it was hard to get a good nights sleep being hooked up to wires! I’m sure I’ll sleep well tonight :). I’m starting opti on Tuesday- 2 weeks. How are you feeling? Best wishes- please keep in touch.

I can relate to all of the above!  I am hoping that having this surgery, I may only have to have one more sleep study to tell me i don't need my cpap anymore.  Just another plus for me.

Although I said to dietitian that I was freaking out that I would feel hungry but she assures me this is not going to happen.   Am currently trying to break some bad habits and wean myself off the sugar before I start shake regime so I  won't get bad withdrawals  but also am tempted to have things ' one last time'  giphy.gif 

I’m booked in for 3rd October. 4th day of optifast and going well. 

I had a lap band that worked well exept for severe night reflux when the band had the right day time restriction.

It was fine in the beginning then I yoyo-ed for a couple of years before the doctor and I decided enough was enough.

I would have fluid removed, reflux stopped, weight went on, have fluid reinserted weight would come off, reflux would restart, over and over.

The band also restricted several food choices, peas, brocolli, mushrooms, most red meats, but was fine with corn chicken, rice and pasta. Breakfast was a no-no.

I am so looking forward to the small meals being enough but this time with a greater range of food. I really missed broccoli.

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to check how everybody is doing. How are you all feeling and how is everyone going with Opti? I’m on day 3 of Opti and am feeling better today - I have had really bad mood swings the past 2 days (might also be linked to the realisation that it’s all really happening).  I’ve lost 1.5kg already so I’m happy. I have my pre-op appointment with my surgeon next Wednesday- it won’t be long now. Good luck to everyone, keep in touch:)

• Like 1

Greetings to all having surgery in October.

It is October tomorrow. 

I hope all is going well with everyone’s pre surgery optifast.

Muzz, one more sleep. How you feeling.

I'm on day two of shakes. Surprised at no headache yet. Getting bit scary. Almost put it off again. Just keep telling myself by end of year, I'll be well on my way to better health.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 1

Thinking of you Muzz, I hope everything went well and you have a speedy recovery. I’m just starting my second week of shakes - have now settled in to it. I’ve been surprised how my tastes have changed, my boys had hot chips yesterday and I would normally have had a stack with them(they are my weakness!), instead I had no interest. I’ve been disappointed as I’ve only lost 3.3kg and this has put a few negative thoughts into my head about what if I can’t lose weight with the surgery. I see my surgeon tomorrow for our final meeting before the surgery. I hope everyone is ok.:)

Thanks Longhaul, I feeling good about going in tomorrow.

I am fortunate I was away from temptation for the last couple of weeks, so the optifast/vlcd went well. I had no headaches or other issues. Apart from my 2 downfalls, chocolate and icecream, I don’t eat or drink anything that contains sugar. I much prefer savoury things. I used the bars and soup for the optifast componant. Being away from temptation/chocolare and icecream, my fridge, my kitchen, made following the vlcd so much easier. Now I am home, I am facing temptation and as I know it is only for 1 more night I am remaining firm.

I had regained around 4kg since I had the band removed but lost it over the past fortnight.

Mouse-mum, I wouldn’t worry about not losing weight afterwards. 3.3 kg loss when you’re just into the 2 nd week of a vlcd is not failure. It is a 3.3 kg success.  I hope the surgeon reassured you.

I look forward to hearing how you get on, pre and post surgery.

On 9/17/2018 at 5:49 AM, Fandangle said:

Hi everyone,

I'm getting sleeved on 10/10/18, any other sleevers about to go under?? if so where are you hailing from, Im excited and nervous at the same time. putting on weight in the lead up as I keep thinking "OMG what if I can never have this nice food again, or the enjoyment that I get from eating it " I am not alone :-(

I'm only at the first stage of pre gastric sleeve surgery. Had bloods done today. Going to the UK for 3 weeks.  Seeing  bariatric assessors and dietitian on 31st October, then having endoscopy 1st November. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How are all the October sleevers going? I had my sleeve on the 22nd of October and am going ok food wise, not really hungry. But I'm a bit disappointed on how much weight I have actually lost. The past 2 weeks I've only lost 2 kilos which is a bit disheartening. Given I'm probably only eating around 500-600 calories a day and still coming in a bit over 105 kilos I'm a bit sad the loss is so small. I'm concerned that if I eat more I'd be putting on weight even though I'd still not be eating much. I've always struggled losing weight and one of the reasons I've always got disheartened is the effort for the results never really weighed up. Anyone else have this problem?

On 9/19/2018 at 3:54 PM, Mum2three said:

Hi Fandangle and Mouse-mum. I'm also an October sleever, although a week after both of you- 16th October. Also feeling nervous and excited!

I have had a few too many "last" tim-tams, but am trying to think of the surgery not as future deprivation but a fabulous tool to reduce hunger and stomach capacity and help me on the way to healthy, sensible eating and a healthier relationship with food. I am just about to start the pre-op Optifast.

Best wishes to you both :-)

HEYA MUM2THREE! 

So you got sleeved in the end. Well done, mumma. I just had my bypass on Tuesday: scary scary bypass. (Ugh- anaesthetic- they used Desflurane: I HATE that sh*t...).

Looking forward to our next meet up in real life when we will be as gorgeous as we both were in, what was it, 1994??

XXXXXX-"Sir"J

On 11/28/2018 at 2:59 PM, HeidiF said:

How are all the October sleevers going? I had my sleeve on the 22nd of October and am going ok food wise, not really hungry. But I'm a bit disappointed on how much weight I have actually lost. The past 2 weeks I've only lost 2 kilos which is a bit disheartening. Given I'm probably only eating around 500-600 calories a day and still coming in a bit over 105 kilos I'm a bit sad the loss is so small. I'm concerned that if I eat more I'd be putting on weight even though I'd still not be eating much. I've always struggled losing weight and one of the reasons I've always got disheartened is the effort for the results never really weighed up. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi HeidiF, I wouldn’t be too concerned about how slow you are losing weight, my surgeon said we should aim for 1kg a week (which you are doing). I was always expecting that when I had the surgery I would lose weight really quickly considering how little we can eat. It has been about 6.5 weeks since my surgery and I have lost 9 kg since my hospital admission weight - which I’m quite pleased about. How are you feeling? I was really angry and tearful last weekend and after some research I found that mood swings can be common due to hormones being released in the fat stores that we are losing - who would have thought that our excess fat contains hormones.  Please keep in touch. Good luck with your loss and keep positive- any loss is a good loss :)

13 minutes ago, Mouse-mum said:

Hi HeidiF, I wouldn’t be too concerned about how slow you are losing weight, my surgeon said we should aim for 1kg a week (which you are doing). I was always expecting that when I had the surgery I would lose weight really quickly considering how little we can eat. It has been about 6.5 weeks since my surgery and I have lost 9 kg since my hospital admission weight - which I’m quite pleased about. How are you feeling? I was really angry and tearful last weekend and after some research I found that mood swings can be common due to hormones being released in the fat stores that we are losing - who would have thought that our excess fat contains hormones.  Please keep in touch. Good luck with your loss and keep positive- any loss is a good loss :)

I am trying to remind myself that any loss is a good loss just concerned it's going to start creeping up as soon as the calories go up a bit.

I know what you mean about mood swings though. I don't think it helps that there are lots of other things going on in my life. 

I think I'm also a bit blah as it's my birthday and I can't even have cake haha

6 minutes ago, HeidiF said:

I am trying to remind myself that any loss is a good loss just concerned it's going to start creeping up as soon as the calories go up a bit.

I know what you mean about mood swings though. I don't think it helps that there are lots of other things going on in my life. 

I think I'm also a bit blah as it's my birthday and I can't even have cake haha

Happy Birthday! As for cake a small bit won’t be a problem- you will probably find that your tastes have changed anyway. I fully understand you worries about putting weight on once you start eating a bit more - I also have had these concerns. I spoke to my dietician about it and she said that providing you eat healthy and do some walking the weight will not gain so long as you listen to your body telling you when you’re full. But expect some plateau usually around weeks 7-8. Hope all goes well.