Sign in to follow this  
Worried84

Band removed pre sleeve

Hi! New to this forum. I’ve had my band removed 3 weeks ago after 10years due to really bad reflux and bad eating habits. My band was too tight and I was throwing up a lot but maintaining my ideal weight. I knew this wasn’t right and want to be healthy.

So i got it removed and waiting another 5 weeks till the sleeve. I’m that 3 weeks I have put on 10KGs!!! And that’s with following optifast diet keeping to under 1200 calories a day with 40min exercise. I keep putting on weight with no slowing down. I’m really worried how big I’m going to get in the next month!

i guess my body is getting used to different food intake but seriously when will it get back to normal!!! Hoping someone else has had a similar experience and can give me an insight?

thank you :)

I put on 8kg - most in the first month after band removal.  Then healthy eating took over - and when you start Optifast prior to sleeve it will come off I lost 6 kg in 2 weeks, then had surgery cancelled and moved to November.  I have not put on any further weight in these 6 weeks, despite a trip to Bali.  Start Optifast again next week.

Good luck - and don't stress too much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this is fairly normal. I had my band for 17 ears and had it removed in August and I have put on 10kg.  Thankfully my surgery is next week.

I had my band removed after 12 years last December.  My own surgeon was away and it was done in somewhat of an emergency by another surgeon from the practise, and I wasnt given the option of revision as it was just days before Christmas and I was lucky to be on a list at all. I had major chest pain, five ambulance calls etc etc.  There was no time to think about where to go next.

I was extremely successful wth the band but it had been failing for the past three years.  I did gain weight over that time, but was still within a healthy BMI. After removal, I worked extremely hard to maintain my weight as I was the lightest I'd been for quite .a few years due to being so sick.  I managed four months with no weight gain, but it took a super human effort of sticking to 1000 calories a day. But of course, nobody could do that forever and in the past five months I have gained 25kg, so so quickly!  

I feel so much pressure and shame because of all the comments I had along the lines of "oh, you've learned good habits now, you'll never regain" etc etc.  People just dont understand that by having WLS and living on 12 to 1500 calories a day for twelve years, you permanently change your metabolism.  You will never again be able to eat like a normal person. I have not made a beeline for Maccas, or scarfed down whole pizzas - no desire.  I eat 3 times a day and I have still gained all that weight.

I'm having a sleeve on 19th december even though my BMI has barely reached 30. I am in so much trouble because of the fast gain - terrible foot and leg pain, I'm exhaused, my back is killing met etc - putting on that much weight that fast is really hard on your body.  I retain a lot of my fitness cut cant possibly run or even power-walk daily becuase I just pull up so damn sore, so of course, that's causing me to gain as well. Now I've started getting reflux again too.

I feel like I am counting the seconds to 19th December!

I know logically 100% of banded patients who lose their bands regain weight and I know I have not overeaten ridiculously but I cant help beating myself up about it and feeling too ashamed to tell people I'm having another WLS.