Sign in to follow this  
callthenurse24

Banded in 2011

Hello all! 

Its been a very long time since I’ve been on BT. I had a gastric band in 2011, Went from 116kg to 75kg, loving life. As seems to be the case with bands, my journey was not straightforward. I agreed to be part of a clinical trial and had to have the band revised once, and completely removed in 2017. At the time it didn’t bother me to have it out- I thought, my lifestyle has completely changed and I can do this on my own. The weight steadily went back up. I crept up to 90kg. It was frustrating because I do eat healthy now and love exercising. Then I got pregnant. Well, here I am today at 115kg. I am four months post partum, back to exercising and eating well, the scales have not moved and I feel horrible, so uncomfortable in my skin.  I am considering a sleeve. I would love to hear from any of you ladies who have been through a similar journey?

Sorry to hear about your regain. Just goes to show that our weight set-points are hard wired and our bodies will try everything they can to get us back to our previous (to our body, anyway) "healthy weight".

I had a sleeve 3 years ago, never had a band. All the reading I've done and from observing quite a few people who've gone band-to-sleeve though, has shown that results are not as good with a sleeve. The scarring from the band means it's a trickier operation and the surgeon may not be able to get as tight around the boujie as with a virgin stomach (which means a bigger sleeve and potentially less weight loss). Also, the risk of a leak - the most feared complications from a sleeve - is far higher with revision from band to sleeve. I'd urge you to think about a bypass, or mini bypass even, instead.

Only you can decide which surgery you prefer, though, in consultation with your surgeon. Good luck with whichever one you decide on xx