Sign in to follow this  
MissyO

Advice from peeps who were banded then got sleeved.

Hey All! 

Been banded 6 years now (as of last month).

My weightloss surgeon wasn’t happy at my last visit cuz I’m just plateauing at the same weight for sometime at the moment. 

I’ve had half a ml added to my band to help boost some weightloss. I gotta lose 4kg by my next visit in March next year. 

At times my band can cause me to have those stuck moments and reflux at times. 

I’m thinking maybe it’s time for a game change and go for the sleeve procedure as I fill maybe the band isn’t working as well now. 

I do feel that if you've been banded six years and are not at your goal weight yet, the band hasnt worked as well is it could have for you.  You really would expect to have lost all of the weight you're going to lose by now. What does your surgeon say about it?  

Other than that I'm in no position to say because I was only sleeved a week ago after being banded for 12 years and without anything for the last 12 months.  Sleeve surgery was not the easiest given the damage the band had caused and the effort required to clean that up - surgery was 4 hours long.

Now on the other side of my surgery - four weeks out tomorrow. I'm loving my sleeve, all the restriction I had from the band, without the traffic jams!  Weight loss - 8kg in 4 weeks which I am very happy with but its slower than I had initially with the band.  And I can feel that the sleeve is going to require a little more self control, the signal to stop eating is a fair bit softer than with the band which suddenly says NO MORE.  But with the experience of having a band for six years, like me for 13, you get very good at reading those more subtle signs.

For me personally, I'm thrilled with the lack of hunger I've experienced, but I know from my experience with the band, I was never hungry either but it did not stop me doing an awful lot of non hungry eating (chocolate!).  I can tell this will be the case here too, its not a magic fix for all our eating problems.  The best I can say with weight loss surgery for me is that it kept me from non hungry eating AND big meals which was enough to control my weight and keep it at a healthy level.  I've been perfect so far, but hey, I'm four weeks out, lets see how I'm doing in 12 months!

So.... you really need to examine your habits.  What and when are you eating. Is it truly hungry eating?  Were you a big meal 3 times a day person or like me, a grazer and comfort eater? Because the sleeve really probably wont work any better than the band for that. What is better, I'm finding is that its a more comfortable restriction to live with.