Fay12

Depressed.....

Hello everyone 

I’ve had a gastric sleeve done about 6 years ago and I’ve the first couple of years was great. My start weight was 105kg and I reached my goal weight of 67kg with the first year. But after  having two babies I’ve managed to gain weight. My current weight is 81kg.

I feel like a failure!! I am able to eat so much it’s crazy. It’s like I haven’t even had a sleeve done 

I’ve been trying to loose the weight for so long. I’ve been going to the gym 4-5 days a week for the past 3 months. As well as eating super healthy. But the scales aren’t moving!!

can someone tell me why it’s so hard to loose weight. Is it because I’ve had a failed sleeve?

its not normal to not loose weight with Everything that I’m doing  

I’m thinking to get a resleeve  

I’ll really appreciate it if some one in my situation can share their experience with me. What did you do to loos the weight again?

I’m sorry to hear you are having a tough time if it, big hugs.

im no expert but I’ve heard that weight can be harder to lose after a surgery regain, because your body/metabolism resets to the vastly smaller portions.

have you or could you try reverting to portion control- and only eat what you would have been able to eat immediately after the sleeve? 

I’m only 8 months in and I’m able to eat more. It is easy to slip back into old habits- like eating until I’m uncomfortable, or not being fully present when munching. 

All the best! 

Weight gain is depressing :(

But congratulations on having two babies!

It might be worthwhile a visit back to your surgeon, maybe they used larger bougies 6 years ago? And s a resleeve would be tenable.

I'm 4 years post op next month, and I still use portion controlled crockery and tiny cutlery.  I also mainly do a low carb way of eating (except for the past week!).

All the best!

Thank you for your support. 

I have made an appointment with the surgeon on the 17 th. Hopefully it goes well. 

I feel so ashamed to go back in!!

• Like 1

Please try not to be too ashamed and hard on yourself.

Your body does indeed adapt to your lower weight and restricted portions, and the math may not work for you as it does for others.  I cannot fathom how I gained over 20kg in six months whilst sticking to 1800 or so a day but I did!  

On top of that, having babies does make some of us fat.  I was normal weight until I started having babies. Firstly I gained weight fast and dramatically whilst breastfeeding and then those insidious lifestyle factors that creep in finished me off. I started seven years of 3 pregnances at about 75kg (healthy for my height) and finished at 113kg.  And not in any of them did I ever gain more than 9kg (which I lost in giving birth).  All the weight gain came afterwards.

Any surgeon in this business ought to be compassionate and understand the difficulty some of us have in maintaining normal weights. They've seen it all before and although they may have to state some home truths to some people, they will not judge you for your issues.

• Like 2

Interesting what Jachut said about having babies making some women fat. 

My surgeon said obesity was in my genetics and people are predisposed to it and then something happens to trigger it eg pregnancy. That's exactly where my issue with obesity started. Yes I've been overweight as a child, lost it as a teen, yoyoed a bit in my 20s but nothing over 65ish kgs, managed to get quite thin 57 - 59kgs. Got to 55kgs with Duromine but suffered psychosis and was hospitalised. Went up to 60kgs. Still slim looking back but was so unhappy at the time. Met my husband. Gained 15kgs and felt disgusted and ashamed. Got to 68 point something msg with Jenny Craig. Fell pregnant with my daughter.  Ballooned to 103.5kgs. Got down to 85kgs within a few months after her birth. Started to put on weight even though I was still eating the same, weighing portions but not exercising as much as I was constantly tired/exhausted. Blood tests. All normal apparently. Lies. Thyroid was borderline. Gained back and was 104kgs and ashamed. Started looking into the lapband. Full bloods. Surprise surprise under active thyroid. More blood tests. Hashimotos Disease. Started Thyroxine and had several blood tests over the years which always showed tsh in normal range but weight wouldn't budge. Special occasions would gain 1 - 2kgs. Weight slowly creeps up slowly but surely over the years.

Highest weight (not pregnant) 118.1kgs. Fall pregnant. Suffer miscarriage. Get down to 112kgs from being so sick with an infection in my womb. Go back to 117 - 118kgs. Get married. Disgusted by wedding photos. Take out private health insurance just for me so I can have weight loss surgery and am on public wait list. Fall pregnant with rainbow miracle baby. Give birth. Get down to pre pregnancy weight (only gained 9.6kgs this time around). Can't lose more. See photos of myself at my daughter's birthday party and feel awful. Have appointment in public system and am told I will be waiting at least 2 more years before I'm operated on. Eff that. Convince hubby to let me access my super (didn't have much, long story and not worked since having my daughter in 2013). Go on consult and he is the surgeon for me (had 2 referrals). Sips surgery May 17th 2017. Baby boy is 6 months on surgery day. Currently down to 60.3kgs. Goal weight is 55kgs. Journey not over yet.

2 x consults booked for February and March for plastics. Likely 2 x lots of surgery so will be a long time til my body is almost normal (will have lots of extensive scarring) but I am happy with my body now and have been for a long time on my weight loss journey. Sorry my post was so long but have never shared how I became the way I was and the comments on pregnancy compelled me to share. 

Definitely go see your surgeon. He or she will hopefully not be harsh and judge you. They are there to help. Likely you will be referred for a barium swallow or other tests which will show if something is wrong with your sleeve and the best course of action. My surgeon does not believe a resleeve works and bypass or sips a better option in the case of a failed sleeve. Lastly please do not judge yourself too harshly. Also keep in mind some weight regain is normal so I would speak to a dietician who is knowledgeable in bariatric surgery patients and their needs. I hope everything works out and hoping for the best possible outcome for you. 

• Like 1