Sign in to follow this  
Margy

Gastric Sleeve February 2019

Hi everyone.  So glad I found this forum whilst searching for everything and anything about the Gastric Sleeve procedure I am going to have on the 6th February.  Looking forward to reading all the advice and tips everyone can give me as I start this journey, my LAST weightloss journey.  I have tried just about everything else as I have been dieting since I was 18 years old and now am in my 50's.  I am 5ft 8in, and weighed in at 122.8kg when I started the Optifast sachets last Tuesday.  I plan to lose around 45 kilos and keep it off !!  The  4 x Optifast Sachets and 2 cups of vegetables per day haven't been too difficult (of course there are times I would love a sandwich or two) but I think because it is only for two weeks and it will decrease the amount of fat in my liver prior to the surgery, I am committed to giving it my best. 

Would love to receive advice and tips from everyone as I go forth, and would also like to invite other people who might be just starting out as well to come on board this thread so we can motivate and help each other.

Look forward to sharing my weightloss journey.

Cheers...Margy

• Like 2

Wishing you the best of luck.  I was sleeved 19th of  December, so I've only got six weeks experience to share!

I did previously have a lapband, for 12 years, and it slipped at the end of 2017, I went commando all of 2018, which didnt end that well, lol, hence my decision to go for the sleeve.

I wasnt quite prepared for the fact that it is "real" surgery.  I've had some big surgeries and breezed through them all, the lapband one was very easy, so I was a little overconfident that this would be a few days of recovery and I'd be fine.  In reality its taken six weeks to recover (I also had hernia repair) with a lot of nausea and dizziness and general blahs but I feel like I'm out the other side now.  But of course, that may just be me, my point being just be prepared for taking it easy and going easy on yourself.

One thing I do know about weight loss surgery - there's a definite honeymoon period.  For the first six months, you'll lose a lot of weight no matter what you do but my advice would be make the most of this first year. Really work it, as most of your weight loss is going to occur in this time.  It will be much much slower after that.  Set up good habits and follow your post op plan while you're fresh and your motivation is high.  

I guess there's also a few sticking points early on, after you finish the liquid phase, you can even gain a little bit as you start on solid food. Dont be concerned, just keep going!

• Like 1

I had sips surgery May 17th last year. I'm Down to 58.4kgs from 118.1kgs. I thought about weight loss surgery since 2013. To be honest I just jumped in and it all happened quite quickly. I saw photos of myself at my daughter's birthday party and cracked it, started the process again and booked the consult.

Tips. Try not to let old habits creep back in. I have let some creep back eg if I let myself get way too hungry on a work day where I don't eat a snack before I come home (I'm part time so on short days I don't get a lunch break) I sometimes get that hungry and that's when I'm likely to make a bad choice such as going through a drive through on my way home. 

I don't really have any other tips just to embrace your journey. Also as cliche as it sounds try to love yourself at every step of the way and not when you're at goal weight or some magical number on the scales. Enjoy the positive changes that are coming your way and best of luck with the op. 

Jachut - thanks for the tips. Yes I have watched the procedure on you tube and it is a big surgery.  I have been thinking of nothing else since my first visit with the surgeon 4 months ago and although it is daunting I am trying to focus on the positives sure to come. I have read many people's experiences and feel I am ready to face the pain and nausea but I suppose until I actually go through I won't fully understand.  If you don't mind me asking  - how much weight have you lost so far?

Boganlicious - thanks for your advice.  I really need to change my relationship with food this time so I know what you are referring to.  I have lost weight before but never got even close to my goal weight before falling into the old traps.  I'm really hoping that I embark on this journey with a different mindset.  Can I ask what is SIPS. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere but not sure what it is.  Congratulations on your amazing weightloss in such a short time! You must be so happy with the results.  Well Done. 

I have not told " all" my family yet as I am a bit ashamed of myself to have let it get this far.  But those I'm closest to have been very supportive.  It's definitely not "the easy way out" though.  A life long change.  

I will keep you posted.

I agree with Jachut - make the most of the first 6 months post op, this surgery is not a panacea for all your lifelong weight problems, its effects are only temporary and it is up to you to keep it off long term. Also, you won't fully realise the meaning of "long term" until you're at least 2 years out. Maintaining your weight loss for the rest of your life is not easy, it's not as exciting as when you're losing and is mainly just a hard slog of day in, day out hard work. But oh my, it is SO worth it and can be done.

I'm 3 years post op, have had plastics - a brachioplasty and lower body lift, and plan to have a thigh lift later this year. I lost 80kg all up (I lost/gained prior to surgery) and bless the day I walked into my surgeon's office in 2015.

• Like 1

Wow Froody, your post op photo looks great.  I think I will be left with a sagging stomach also.  Could I ask in what region price wise it was for you to have this operation.  I do have top Hospital cover but there would be out of pocket expenses I expect.

• Like 1

Unfortunately after fasting all day yesterday and being admitted to hospital for the operation, my surgeon was held up with a difficult operation so mine was cancelled at 10.30 pm and I was sent home.  I have to go to a different hospital for the operation today and had to start the fasting again this morning, obviously, and it will be done later this evening, so another long day ahead of me.  Hopefully no set backs today, fingers crossed,.

• Like 1

All the best Margy!

How are you going with post op recovery?

On 2/7/2019 at 9:55 AM, Margy said:

Wow Froody, your post op photo looks great.  I think I will be left with a sagging stomach also.  Could I ask in what region price wise it was for you to have this operation.  I do have top Hospital cover but there would be out of pocket expenses I expect.

Hiya,

Many thousands is the answer to that, but considering how extensive my surgery was it was not that bad (arms, lower body lift and side boob skin, 8 hour surgery time). I used my super so it wasn't such a shock to our hip pockets. Surgeon's range in price, you really need to research - Facebook groups are a good place to start, although most are secret so it can be difficult to get onto them.