Hustler

Band to Sleeve! What’s the process?

Hi All, 

Can anyone please tell me about revision surgery from band to sleeve? Is it just one operation? Recovery time? Going with Dr Ben Teague if anyone has gone with him?

Cheers x

Hi There!!

I had a band to sleeve conversion in Feb 2017 - I had severe post surgical complications that almost resulted in me dying.

It is high risk for complications so please be completely informed before proceeding. 

I had a year between taking my band out and getting sleeved.

My band came out in fairly urgent circumstances and my surgeon was away so someone else had to do it. When I saw my surgeon, I was shocked when he said he would not perform any more surgery on me.  But when I went back to him desparate 8 months later he did refer me on to somebody else and I was sleeved in December.  I also had a hernia repair. It was quite a long and complicated surgery - there was a LOT of scarring and adhesions and it took me a while to recover.

That was 8 weeks ago and I have lost weight but meh - 12kg in 8 weeks which is about 40% of my goal.. Its hardly what I experienced when I first had my lapband, and my surgeon commented that he thought I'd get o my goal in 6 months but not at this rate!

Nobody that doesnt know has even noticed I've lost any weight and I have not even gone down a size in clothes.  I really suspect I had my honeymoon weight loss 13 years ago when I got my band and my metabolism is so stuffed from years of eating so little that weight loss is going to be very slow. But hey! It is a loss and I'll take it, particularly as I can really feel it gone physically even if I cant see it yet. 

• Thanks 1

8 weeks and 12 kg is a huge effort! well done! I don’t have any hernias? Why wouldn’t your original surgeon operate? Can I ask what your starting weight was? I was 107 when I had my band in 2013, got down to 80 but have. Gone back up to 90 after 5 miscarriages and having my son three years ago.

I was 114 when I had my band surgery - which I think was a BMI of about 35 for me.  I got down to 72 kg which was great at 5ft 10 . My surgeon was so pleased with this and I was asked to speak at a couple of lapband information nights.  I never had any problems etc.  Then I had a cancer diagnosis and through chemo and radiation and surgery, got down as low as 59kg which was scary skinny.  My band was unfilled for a major surgery and it was never the same after that. But although my weight did start to go up as I could never get good restriction again I never got outside of a healthy weight range for many years. Even so, after that I only became *just* overweight, although to me, I was fat fat fat, lol. But my point of view is cosmetic AND health, my surgeon's is health only.  So after all the sh*t hit the fan, and my band came out, I think he thought I would not have a big regain - afterall I'd done so well, and had not been overweight in 13 years!  I thought so too. I was shocked by the fact that he didnt want to offer me a revision, as I'd been told all along that EVERYBODY that loses their band or removes their fill gains weight, by him and by every clinic doctor.  But I didnt particularly want one, I thought I could do it alone.  

It took me a year but I went from about 78kg (I lost a bit with being so sick) to 97 and I felt like an overstuffed couch when I was finally sleeved in December. I am 85 now which is a BMI well under 30, but its way too fat for me - I still have cellulite on my calves, I'm a fairly skinny build and I get flabby with ANY extra weight.  More muscular people can carry more weight.

Like I said, nobody has even noticed 12kg gone and I still havent been able to get out my size 14's.  It pisses me off, lol.  I dont know where I hide all that weight, but I'm kind of glad because this time, I"ve told nobody I was sleeved.  I want to keep it to myself this time around.