How is everyone. I realise this is a band Forum but it appears that other areas of this site are rather neglected I was hoping to meet more Adelaide ppl who have had surgeries recently...

If anyone in this past few months have had any gastric surgery I'd like to know what surgery and surgeon and total out of pocket expense with PHI. It's been a few months since I looked into it so hoping for more recent costs and experiences.

I'm still months away from my 12 month cut off before I qualify for surgery but getting keener every day.

I think I've decided on the full RNY BYPASS as my best option for long term success but still unsure of who to go with I'm looking closely at Ashford but have recently heard of a new clinic of Dr DONOFRIO North Adelaide and I'm curious of anybody has any personal experience with Dr DONOFRIO??

But mostly costs of surgery and gaps and of course the surgeon in general are they open and inviting easy to deal with and do they offer free after care included in the surgery.

Otherwise some one point me in the direction of the best FB pages for gastric bypass surgery in SA.

Thanks again so looking forward to getting surgery this year!!!

17 hours ago, Bigm666 said:

How is everyone. I realise this is a band Forum but it appears that other areas of this site are rather neglected I was hoping to meet more Adelaide ppl who have had surgeries recently...

If anyone in this past few months have had any gastric surgery I'd like to know what surgery and surgeon and total out of pocket expense with PHI. It's been a few months since I looked into it so hoping for more recent costs and experiences.

I'm still months away from my 12 month cut off before I qualify for surgery but getting keener every day.

I think I've decided on the full RNY BYPASS as my best option for long term success but still unsure of who to go with I'm looking closely at Ashford but have recently heard of a new clinic of Dr DONOFRIO North Adelaide and I'm curious of anybody has any personal experience with Dr DONOFRIO??

But mostly costs of surgery and gaps and of course the surgeon in general are they open and inviting easy to deal with and do they offer free after care included in the surgery.

Otherwise some one point me in the direction of the best FB pages for gastric bypass surgery in SA.

Thanks again so looking forward to getting surgery this year!!!

Hi

I'm from adelaide and has a gastric sleeve done with Dr Teague at Ashford hospital though most of my appointments have been with Dr Sabine who is lovely.

There gap for a sleeve was $3500 plus if you have a gap on your health fund. I think I also paid for 1 consult with Dr Teague but can't remember the cost - maybe $170. The gap is higher for bypass though - I think $4k.

They also want you to book in for the dietician which depending on hour cover will also be out of pocket. I have had 2 check ups so far post up and they are all bulk billed. I have another check up in March. I think they are around quarterly with them for the first year but they tell you to ring them if you have any issues.

I was really happy with them. They were very upfront about the risks involved and that I could pull out at any time if I wanted to. Equally he also said if he didn't think I was making the right steps before surgery he would also delay the surgery as he won't do anything with unnecessary risk. I did find Dr Teague a bit confronting but equally it is a big decision and it did make me really think about things.

Hope that helps :-)

Thanks for your response. Did they advise the sleeve or did they explain both options to you?

I've seen their website so I know about the 4k was just curious on any hidden costs?

Is the dietician before or after op? How many months was it from first appointment to the final surgery? 

My PHI is full cover no extras.

I've done tons of research and been planning this for a long time so I know all the pros and cons that's for sure. I'm ready mentally.

I'm still amazed how affordable it is compared to what I had thought.

I'm so looking forward to it I feel the bypass is my best option but I'll obviously discuss with the dr and surgeon.

Is it true I should start the ball rolling at least 6 months prior to my 12 month time frame?

Tnx

Mike

14 hours ago, HeidiF said:

Hi

I'm from adelaide and has a gastric sleeve done with Dr Teague at Ashford hospital though most of my appointments have been with Dr Sabine who is lovely.

There gap for a sleeve was $3500 plus if you have a gap on your health fund. I think I also paid for 1 consult with Dr Teague but can't remember the cost - maybe $170. The gap is higher for bypass though - I think $4k.

They also want you to book in for the dietician which depending on hour cover will also be out of pocket. I have had 2 check ups so far post up and they are all bulk billed. I have another check up in March. I think they are around quarterly with them for the first year but they tell you to ring them if you have any issues.

I was really happy with them. They were very upfront about the risks involved and that I could pull out at any time if I wanted to. Equally he also said if he didn't think I was making the right steps before surgery he would also delay the surgery as he won't do anything with unnecessary risk. I did find Dr Teague a bit confronting but equally it is a big decision and it did make me really think about things.

Hope that helps :-)

I replied above before I could quote you my bad but would love to hear more..

8 hours ago, Bigm666 said:

I replied above before I could quote you my bad but would love to hear more..

I think earlier the better. I went in around 5 months before surgery. I waited for it to be a good time for me to have the surgery.

I had 1 pre op dietician appointment where they ran through opti fast and options. I have had 1 post op dietician appointment.

As for the surgery they weren't pushy. They asked my history and circumstances. Talked about age and long term risks. I has been leaning between a sleeve and a bypass but from talking it through a bit more I opted for a sleeve. My body can react badly to things and I was concerned that a bypass and I may not mix as well. I do think he has done a higher proportion of sleeves. 

The advantage of the ball rolling early is I went on a diet earlier. I tried to lose as much as I could even before optifast to help minimize surgery risks. It helped me get healthier before surgery. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

I'm quite the opposite my immune system is great I can't remember the last time I took Panadol.

my weight is really my only issue and the co morbidities that go with that.

So the bypass to me seems much more efficient and better method but everyone has their preferences.

I don't mind taking vitamins everyday.

I've still gotta wait for my phi to get to the 12 months before in able to have the surgery which is fine because it gives me time to save up and prepare myself mentally.

I don't react well to anesthetics or pain relief. Mostly I wanted to improve my fitness and lose weight to make the surgery easier. If you're over certain bmis the risks are higher. I was lucky that even before surgery my only issue was my weight though and I didn't have any other health issues.

• Like 1

Yeah good idea I guess.

I'll have to see what the doctor says before I commit but I know I'd like the RNY BYPASS and of course I want to be fitter and healthier and live longer 

• Like 1

With dietician appointments if you get a chronic disease management plan from your gp you are entitled to 5 free visits with a dietician. No advice on Adelaide surgeons as I'm in Perth but maybe join fb groups. My surgeon has his own support fb group which is only for his patients. Even just weight loss support groups you can get surgeon recommendations. Also I know you have your heart set on roux en y but listen to your surgeons recommendation and why they are recommending that. I was adamant I only wanted the sleeve, my surgeon recommended either sleeve or sips. After doing research and hearing him tell me pros and cons of both procedures I ended up choosing sips. It was right for me. Not saying roux en y isn't the right choice but to listen to your surgeon. If necessary have more than one consult. Yes it gets expensive if you consult with more than one surgeon when consults are on average $200 with a small Medicare rebate. I just got lucky. I had 2 referral letters, saw my surgeon first and knew he was the one so cancelled the other consult. Best of luck with everything. The wait time will be over before you know it. 

• Like 2

I've never asked what exactly is SIPS I've never heard about it in SA.

How does it differ to the sleeve or BYPASS

You've done really well losing what 60kgs is it?

2 hours ago, Bigm666 said:

I've never asked what exactly is SIPS I've never heard about it in SA.

How does it differ to the sleeve or BYPASS

You've done really well losing what 60kgs is it?

Almost 60kgs now. 59.7kgs to be exact which is a whole person! Sips is a sleeve slightly larger than a stand alone sleeve but then approximately 3 metres of intestines gets bypassed causing a malabsorption effect from the calories you do eat. I'm not sure if you have heard of something called a duodenal switch which is very common in America, sips is a modified version of that surgery. Not all surgeons offer sips. My surgeon was one of 3 surgeons in Australia to first offer sips. 

• Like 1

Sounds like bypass.

Causes the same malabsorption problem and requires vitamin supplements due to the calorie deficit.

Yeah I don't think it's even in SA it's not mentioned on any local Dr websites.

I think bypass is just as effective.

I need to lose 60kgs so you are my inspiration. 

For you to be able to do that in just 8 months is amazing for a lady as usually it is harder for females I've been told...

• Like 1

Thanks @Bigm666 

I remember seeing all the transformation photos before I had my surgery. I had a crazy thought/hope of what if I got to my goal weight in time for Christmas. Then I thought no that's crazy as with sips you lose slower than sleeve but lose more in the long run. Well Christmas came and I was 61 - 62kgs. Now it's February and I'm just about at goal. You can do this! Just keep in mind that everyone loses weight at different rates. I also have Hashimotos Disease of the thyroid which also made weight loss hard for me before I had the surgery. 

On 2/2/2019 at 2:51 PM, Boganlicious said:

Thanks @Bigm666 

I remember seeing all the transformation photos before I had my surgery. I had a crazy thought/hope of what if I got to my goal weight in time for Christmas. Then I thought no that's crazy as with sips you lose slower than sleeve but lose more in the long run. Well Christmas came and I was 61 - 62kgs. Now it's February and I'm just about at goal. You can do this! Just keep in mind that everyone loses weight at different rates. I also have Hashimotos Disease of the thyroid which also made weight loss hard for me before I had the surgery. 

I've finally found the MGB or SIPS you talk about its also called mini BYPASS but I've read any complications with reflux or something and there's really no difference between the 2 bypasses in regards to weight loss you still have to be strict with your intake

• Like 1