Sign in to follow this  
zaruse

Disaster: complications are real

Complications are for other people, right? It won’t happen to me, right? 

Wrong. 

It happened. 13 months post bypass surgery. Everything had been perfect: I had achieved my weight loss goals. I felt great, healthy, active, happy. 

And then. I woke up in the wee hours in excruciating pain. My tummy was on fire, the pain radiating out and down my abdomen. Weirdly, my left shoulder felt like it had been broken.

i tried to ride it out but ended up calling an ambulance. Fast forward 12 hours, after an X-ray, ultrasound and CT, I was being prepped for surgery.

There were two options: 

1. Twisted perforated bowel, they would have had to slice me all the way open to find the damaged section

2. Perforated ulcer, keyhole surgery

luckily for me it was number 2.

but how?! Why? 

I knew the risks of bypass surgery, but somehow, the bit about NEVER taking anti inflammatory drugs, including ibuprofen, didn’t sink in. I had been taking anti-reflux meds, but my prescription ran out, and I knew that I had an appointment with my bypass surgeon in a couple of weeks- and we were going to wean me off them anyway, so not taking them didn’t worry me. Unfortunately I’d also taken a bunch of anti inflammatory drugs for a neck injury. And apparently I internalise my stress. 

Anyway, 3 weeks on, im fine. But it was scary- I put the people I love the most through a really terrifying ordeal for something that could have been prevented. 

So. The moral of the story, is if you have had WLS, you absolutely cannot take pain drugs other than paracetamol.

(the only ‘silver lining’ is that I’ve just dropped another 7kgs. I didn’t really need to, but I’ll take it!)

• Like 1

Oh Zaruse, thats so scary - what an ordeal. I'm glad they were able to go with option number two for you and hope that you're on the road to recovery 

• Thanks 1

Omg! I haven’t been on here much and just saw this. I’m so sorry and glad you’re on the mend now.