Sign in to follow this  
kazbo

SADI revision from failed band then failed sleeve

It's been a couple of years since I've been on this forum.

After having my reconstructive plastic surgery in 2016 I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease and I took Lyrica which caused an 8kg weight gain in 6 weeks. I gained more weight during a really awful time in my life (DV, the death of my mother, breakdown in family relationships,   financial difficulties).

I then had terrible reflux caused by an incompetent lower oesophageal sphincter and hiatus hernia. I saw Assoc. Prof Michael Talbot in Sydney and this repaired in 2018. I weighed 101kgs, up from my lowest weight sleeved of 87kg.

I lost 5kgs after the repair surgery, he told me to consider a duodenal switch to help me lose weight once and for all. I dismissed the idea, instead trying to lose weight utilising my sleeve  diet and exercise. All attempts failed.

I saw Dr Ken Loi at St George Private Hospital (a colleague of Talbot), he explained that my pylorus valve has weakened and my sleeve empties faster which explains my ability to eat more and get hungry quicker. He recommended the SADI procedure, it's less complicated/risky than the traditional DS, it seems to have the same results and avoids malnutrition and chronic bowel issues typical of the DS. 

I'm booked in for the surgery on 24 March. I'm not looking forward to the optishit diet (again), the gas pain (I had a tummy tuck with muscle repair, there's no give in my abdomen) and I'm hopeful that I can finally lose weight.

Lap band 2010 (HW 125, LW 95-97kg,)

Lap band removal 2013

Sleeve 2014 (SW 111, LW 87kg)

Plastic surgery 2016

Hiatus hernia repair and fundoplication 2018