Sign in to follow this  
pinkscrapbooker

is there a Tassie group?

Hi Tammy :)

Im Leeanne

right at this moment im still living in sydney but due to relocate back home in just under 4 weeks

i know some of the girls up North do meet for coffee

so if your a Northern girl then you might be able to meet up with them too

as for down south...one of the other hobart girls and myself are going to organise a get together

as soon as i return and get settled there are quite a few bandits in the Hobart area and its about

time we got a group under way rofl

so if your a southern girl then i will let you know as soon as we make a date for a coffee and then

we can take it from there

Leeanne

banded Sept 2007

prebanding weight 130kgs

todays weight 55.5kgs

Hi,

I'm from Lonnie, banded 31/01/09, i have lost 20kg, so early days for me. Overall this has been a fairly positive experience with no problem.

Cheers

Shaz :)

Hi hun

yes its getting very close now

Im 80% packed but have been very unwell the past 6 days

have come down with bronchitus and a head cold grrrrrrr

the last thing i needed rofl

so have had a couple of days in bed which is something i kind of never do

so Im not really functioning too well rofl

made myself get up today but havent achieved much

my furniture etc goes on wednesday and i fly out on thursday morning

so i hope it all goes to plan

hope your doing ok

I may be offline for a week or so but I will be back hehehe

hugs Leeanne :(

L

Hi girls

I was banded on the 29th of May. This post is not so much about banding (although it probably should be lol) but more about where you guys live. My husband and I (and four sprogletts) are thinking about moving to Tassie and I guess my question is: I'm curious as to where guys reside.. are you near Hobart or Launceston? Or more inland. We are planning on heading over there for a good look around in the next few months so I suppose I'm just looking at some feedback from people who live there. I don't actually know anyone as yet :) who can help with this.

I have heard a lot about the cold... who hasn't huh.. they are all knockers.. but I would love an opinion from someone who actually lives there. Are the small town fully functional? Are (if you know) the schools fairly good too. Just anything you can think of would be much appreciated. I realise we DO need to get over ASAP to look for ourselves but anything you can give .. well its another step in the right direction in getting us there.

Cara

Hi girls

I was banded on the 29th of May. This post is not so much about banding (although it probably should be lol) but more about where you guys live. My husband and I (and four sprogletts) are thinking about moving to Tassie and I guess my question is: I'm curious as to where guys reside.. are you near Hobart or Launceston? Or more inland. We are planning on heading over there for a good look around in the next few months so I suppose I'm just looking at some feedback from people who live there. I don't actually know anyone as yet :) who can help with this.

I have heard a lot about the cold... who hasn't huh.. they are all knockers.. but I would love an opinion from someone who actually lives there. Are the small town fully functional? Are (if you know) the schools fairly good too. Just anything you can think of would be much appreciated. I realise we DO need to get over ASAP to look for ourselves but anything you can give .. well its another step in the right direction in getting us there.

Cara

hi to everyone,

im just out of hobart and im only a month and a bit out, so support and gossip especially involving coffee would be wonderful!

im 28, so in 40-60kg time, boys watch out!!

im really interested in catching up.

its not that cold as long as you wear a couple of jumpers and it doesnt rain if you have an umbrella, the summer, well if have one, is great, dry heat, you can catch a tan in 15 mins its great, just wait until we all get down to the beach and show off instead of all those stick thin peoples!

take care

hi to everyone,

im just out of hobart and im only a month and a bit out, so support and gossip especially involving coffee would be wonderful!

im 28, so in 40-60kg time, boys watch out!!

im really interested in catching up.

its not that cold as long as you wear a couple of jumpers and it doesnt rain if you have an umbrella, the summer, well if have one, is great, dry heat, you can catch a tan in 15 mins its great, just wait until we all get down to the beach and show off instead of all those stick thin peoples!

take care

Hey Cara, I moved to Tas from Qld. I have found Hobart to be the easier city to move to from the mainland as it has more commercial & government hubs - Launnie is great but was too small for me, not as many employment opportunities etc. There are a few good schools down here, public & private. I know this sounds harsh and my apologies, but avoid the suburbs around Bridgewater and Gagebrook, they are quite problematic in a socio-economic sense. Some people do knock Glenorchy, but I have found it to be quite nice in most areas. As I work in the city, I prefer living on the city side of the river, if there is an issue on the tasman bridge, traffic can back up and make for a delay.

Speaking of traffic, i LOVE the traffic here! Nothing like Brisbane / Syd / Melb peak hour! :D The cold in winter is hard, esp your first - you will use heating. Electricity is phenomenally expensive down here compared to the mainland, and unlike the mainland the power company Aurora has a monopoly and can charge as they please. Gas is much cheaper and if you do get a gas hot water system you will save a bundle in comparison to electric. Petrol is a little more dear too. Having said that, other costs of living are much less than the mainland, esp housing so it does balance out.

All in all i am quite happy with my move to tassie. it is a lovely place, the northern parts make for great mini escape holidays. I thoroughly recommend Dr Tony Patiniotis @ The hobart private hospital for your lap band needs, excellent manner & very up to date.

I am hoping us bandits in the hobart area have a meet soon too.

I know it's late but hope it helps :)

Jason

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum but have enjoyed what I have read.

I am a tassie girl and was banded on September 1, 2009.

I find it great that real people with real experience are talking about their issues, I have some questions myself but am going to go through the forum more as my answers are most likely already there.

Am looking forward to chatting to you all.

RubyDoo

Hi Everybody,

I am also new to this forum and have been banded since the 10th of June 2010.

I am lookin forward to meeting more people in my situation as its nice to know there are people to talk to who are doing this too.

Cheers for now.

Hi Minipony,

YAY another tassie person, I am from Launceston! how are you going with things?

Bec

Hi every one,

Im new to this site and yes I am another Tasmanian Northerner :D

I havent yet had the Lap Band Op, but am on the waiting list and in roughly 6 months will have had the op.

I was after a site and group closer to home so that I could get a better understanding of how to prepare my self and what to expect and go through after.

Cheers Kylez

Thank you Min,

It will be good to do some reading on here of experience good or bad with Lap Banding. I will be honest and say I have no other option now due to issue with my back which stopped all and any further weight loss I was acheiving. Unfortunately as they say all the weight I had lost through hard work some how found me again and the back issues have seriously limited me to how I can lose it again.

So this now is my only option.

Fortunately I dont have to pay the huge costs associated with the op, as they have just started doing it in my area on the public system. Although there is a strict criteria they have set out that patients have to fit into to be placed on the waiting list.

Kylez

• Like 1

Hello Tassie people,

My names Carly, I live in Hobart and hoping to have a lapband this or next month!!! I have my fist appointment with Dr Patinotis (?) next week! I have been meaning to have this doen for the past 2 yrs, but I got pregnant just before I was due to go in late 2008, but unfortnuanlty I lost my little boy at 26 weeks gestation. The past year I have been trying like made to get pregant again, with no success so have now decide to go the lap band so I will be much more healthier and hopefully so will the bubs!! Look foward to posting and reading everyones progress!

Good Luck, Carly

Hi carly, I too have lost my littleboy at 22 weeks gestation which started my spiraling weight gain. I got banded on the 18th february by dr wilkinson. Good luck

Hi Everyone, I'm also new to this site and a Launceston girl and about to be banded on 2 April 2011. I would love to join in any get togethers up in the north if there is a support group. Cheers Karen

Hi ....Im trying to get a support group started up on the North west if you are in this area. I am nearly two years banded and there is a huge need for support. I suggest people start putting themself out there and telling which district they live so they can connect. I know also that there are many banders in the North west but aren't online.....Im about to post a community notice in the Advocate for a meeting. good idea hey? Meg

Hi ....Im trying to get a support group started up on the North west if you are in this area. I am nearly two years banded and there is a huge need for support. I suggest people start putting themself out there and telling which district they live so they can connect. I know also that there are many banders in the North west but aren't online.....Im about to post a community notice in the Advocate for a meeting. good idea hey? Meg

yay :)

im in sheffield

Hi everyone

New to this site and finally found a Tassie group YAYYYYYY :D excuse my enthusiasm and delight lol. I am from Hobart and was banded by Dr Tony Pat in July 2009 and so far have lost 50kg but still a long way to go. Am finding I am losing enthusiasm after quite a few health issues and just need to get my motivation back for the long journey ahead. Keep up the excellent work everyone.

Elle