Sign in to follow this  
snas77

has anyone ever looked at the member list?

I was playing around on here today and clicked on the top right hand corner where it says members. The list says there are 726 of us but on further inspection lots of those members are those who send the spam ads we get on here. As well as that some of the ISP addresses are disgusting and mention things like incest sex, Lindsay Lohan naked and others just to name a few. I guess I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of those?

Cass

Cass,

I have indeed however banning the "member" doesn't delete them from out member list. It does block them from posting however which is the desired outcome.

Nonny

thanks Nonny,

a piece of useless info I counted the spam members and there are almost 300, Scary the lengths these people go to to get their ads seen huh?

Cass

No I haven`t looked but will do ...maybe someone can clean up the members list and actually just have actual active members ......

Sorry for not mentioning it at the time, but I did go through and do a cleanup after seeing your posts earlier in the year ... damn spammers :P

Dave

There are lots of ways to stop the spam and to prune the user list, the easiest is probably a mod to check the amount of time taken to fill out the registration form, or a question that requires human thought, a code word displayed on the homepage or even on the registration page. As for the user list, I'm pretty sure there is a pruning option in ACP. If you want to get more specific you could use some SQL queries to set specific parameters and delete users matching them ,etc. Also could limit access to AU/NZ residents only but that's a last resort. Just a few things off the top of my head, there are many others.

cheers

HI Ompster, I noticed you were online and an older (length of membership) member than I am ... come in and let us meet you, and hey ... we have a chat room now, come meet us real time

Izzy

Hi Ompster,

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually set up a new capcha system back when this issue was raised which has fixed the problem. The old one was easy to scan and decipher for spam bots, the new one is much better. Still have the odd bit of spam, but it's actual human posting, which isn't easy to fix without massive administrative overhead

Thanks

Dave