joanne026

throwing up

Hi Todd and Joanne

I have been away a while and just read this thread - how is it all going for you? I hope things have improved. its a long road and a big decision so any support you need is always here ... as these wonderful people have shown you since your first post

Hi Todd and Joanne

I have been away a while and just read this thread - how is it all going for you? I hope things have improved. its a long road and a big decision so any support you need is always here ... as these wonderful people have shown you since your first post

Izzy

Hi this is Joannes husband Todd thanks for all the support you have given since i first got on this site , and good news we are moving back to Perth on the 18th of feb so hopefully Jo can catch up with people in Perth

THANK-YOU again Todd

• Like 1

Thats great news Todd how did Joanne go at the Doctors did she have ant fill taken out??? silly Doc giving her more fill??? WTF?? hope she betrer now Stay HAppy MArie B)

Hi Joanne and good on you for jumping on here.

My port can still be really uncomfortable for me but there is now real days or reasons for it. Just one of those things. In fact, I freaked out recently because I've discovered (now that I've lost weight) that I can actually feel my band through my skin as well. Really freaky.

Where about in the NT are you? I grew up in Alice Springs and my Mum is still there. More recently my sister has moved to Darwin and we do have a couple of Territory bandits around the place. I know it can be tough to get good care up there and you can sometimes feel very isolated.

Please do what you can to see a doctor soon. If all of your problems are caused by having too much fluid in your band (which from the sounds of things is the most likely suspect at this stage) then it will take a matter of minutes to have .5ml of fluid removed and before you know it your whole world will change.

As for food:

- As far as red meat goes I can eat lamb and kangaroo without difficulty. I can also eat gravy beef cooked for about 2 hours in curry/casserole and fillet steak cooked no more than medium rare. No dry roast meat.

- Chicken, I can pretty much only eat the darker meat of chicken these days. So even if I was going to have roast chicken it would be thigh or drumstick territory (provided the drum isn't too dry. If it's dry it gets stuck) chicken breast just doesn't work for me at all anymore.

- The only kind of fish I've really had trouble with is battered fish.

- Fast food is pretty much a no fly zone for me anymore. Hungry Jacks and Maccas have nothing I can eat except the ice-cream and sometimes chicken nuggets. I can eat the popcorn chicken and mashed potato and gravy from KFC and that's about it. I can eat noodles from my local noodle bar. Pizza, I have to work really hard to get one slice down. Fish and chip shop I pretty much just eat a crab stick and a potato cake if the family are having fish and chips.

- Fruit and veg isn't too bad. I can't eat oranges, mandarines, grapefruit or lettuce. Roast potatoes can be a bit of a cow and I need to watch out for celery. Anything that is stringy like celery or beans etc need to be cut small so that you make sure the strings are short because they don't get chewed up.

- Breads and cereals is a big area that I can't eat from. The ONLY kind of rice I can eat is basmati. I go ok with pasta but it has to be well cooked. Can't eat muffins but can sometimes eat crumpets. Can sometimes eat toast and on really lucky days fresh bread but I still have to be careful. Yesterday for example, I decided I was going to be naughty and make a chicken nugget and ranch dressing sandwich. I didn't even get halfway through, even though I was eating slowly, before the mayonnaise and fresh bread all stuck together and stopped me eating anymore of it.

I think the only other thing I can really think of at this stage is that alcohol tightens my band. I generally don't drink very much but on some rare social occasions I drink far too much. When this happens I have to be very careful with what I eat for the next couple of days because my band shrinks right up and I pretty much have to do a couple of days of mushies.

I don't know if any of this is helpful to you at all but I thought I'd try to answer some of your questions.

One of the main things I wanted to say to you Joanne is that what is going on is because of the hardware and not you. See a doctor and I'm sure things will all get better very quickly.

Keep us in the loop.

H2

hey Lisa/Joanne

Thanks for telling me what you can and cannot eat - I'm seeing my surgeon this Thursday so still some weeks away from my op - but its great to hear what life is like on the other side and what some of the issues might be. Really hope it comes right for you soon Joanne! Thanks for sharing what you've been through.

Cheers

Shelli

Hi Joanne and Todd

Glad to hear everything i ok I to vomit alot and Ive had the band in 9 months now I have learnt to like soup and pureed food as I was fed up with vomiting all the time I spoke to the doctor and was told I eat to fast but it was taking me 30 mins to eat a cup full of food so have just stuck to soups maybe I just have to learn living with the band If I eat normal food it feels like something is always stuck in the hole and nothing will go down I did have alot of swelling around my band from vomiting all the time. But it feels good now will be seeing Kevin Dolan on 8 march I just dont know how people eat bread and pasta I cant :( bought a blender to eat what the family have

Do most of you still have a severely changed diet? I have been banded for almost 12 months. I have lost 41 kilos and have 16 to go to perfect BMI. I still often vomit but though I have dramatically reduced portions sizes and obviously removed bread, rice, pasta, fast food, from my diet I pretty much am eating small amounts of ordinary things but am getting really bad reflux at night, it can be quite scary as I can wake up thinking Im about to vomit. Does anyone else have this problem. I have a CPAP machine and at times this is the only thing that makes me feel okay to go to sleep.

• Like 1

Hi puffin

Get to the dr ASAP, could be a bit tight. I woke up choking on saliva & the worst relux - all day & night - so bad... In my case, I had a slippage. I had to get a barium swallow done to find this out.

Note: if you need to do the Barium test, ask for the chalky paste, rather than the liquid if possible, the liquid gave me the worst, most urgent diahrea. Its ok if you go straight home, and have the comfort of your house, don't go shopping straight after.

All I know is that i cannot eat how I use to. Im am taking minute mouthfuls and chewing until its like puree - i have actually sneaked in some bacon to my mushie diet, just by ensuring its minuscule when i eat it and mushed up by the time i swallow it. The chewing and waiting between mouthfuls is hard.

Im a huge lentils fan - and it is highly nutritious - High protein, iron, folate, etc and has a nice texture for eating. 1/2 a cup of lentils makes heaps, so I have about 1/4 cup and add 1/4 other protein like tuna, salmon, or cheese. I would recommend them to anyone on a lap band.

Hope you guys get through this with a positive outcome :)

Had. Stuck moment at dinner last nite hubby and I went to Thai resturant and a bit of food got stuck I was hot flushed and sweaty, had to use bathroom to throw up ..then was careful to chew chew chew..