Sign in to follow this  
MrsFatty

Hubby to become a bandit.

Hi all!

I have introduced myself in the Introductions thread, and thought i would pop in here too!

Just wondering if there is anyone else's partner that has been banded or waiting to be banded?

Looking for people to swap notes/stories etc!

Cheers Bree.

Hi Bree,

I shall encourage my Hubby to join the forum and he can share his side of things.

I wish he'd get banded so maybe I will be eligible to post here at some stage!

Steph

Hi Bree,

I shall encourage my Hubby to join the forum and he can share his side of things.

I wish he'd get banded so maybe I will be eligible to post here at some stage!

Steph

Thanks Steph! I don't get to post as often as i would like. Which reminds me i really need to do an update on hubbys progress.......

Thanks for the prod! lol

Bree

Hi, I've just joined too. My hubby is having his surgery in a fortnight. I want to be as supportive as I can be so I'm here for all the advice I can get :-)

Kate

Hi, I've just joined too. My hubby is having his surgery in a fortnight. I want to be as supportive as I can be so I'm here for all the advice I can get :-)

Kate

Hi Kate!

Good on your hubby for making a great decision! How are you going with the thought of it all? How is he feeling? I think it was all a little overwhelming in the beginning, i was feeling guilty eating when he couldn't, especially when he went back into hospital after the op due to complication (in another post). He is going great guns now and is really happy with his progress!

Looking forward to chatting with you! Best wished for your hubby's op!

Cheers Bree

Hi Bree,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm going well, just so relieved he's actually going to have it done. I first mentioned lap banding to him about 4 years ago and he wouldn't have a bar of it but now he's very positive. He's 181kg and I think he's finally got to the stage where enough is enough. I didn't realise that carrot was on the no no list his dietician gave him and so he picked all the julienne carrot out of the stir fry I made for tea the other night. He's taking it so seriously, I'm very proud.

The biggest thing I've had to change is my cooking. I'm a pastry chef and I love cooking so I'm probably to blame for some of Luke's weight (which kills me). I work from home so now I do all the baking while he's at the office and hide it all and air the house out before he gets home. I've also started eating my main meal at lunch time on my own and I just eat the same thing as luke for dinner because I'm very concious of eating in front of him. I'm also trying my best to stop talking about food and recipes, it's hard because it's my job and my passion rolled in one but I know it's just cruel if I don't shut up.

I also have a bit of weight to shift (funny, a tubby pastry chef, go figure) so I'll be focusing on getting healthier too, we've made a pact that this year is the year!

• Like 2

Hi Bree,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm going well, just so relieved he's actually going to have it done. I first mentioned lap banding to him about 4 years ago and he wouldn't have a bar of it but now he's very positive. He's 181kg and I think he's finally got to the stage where enough is enough. I didn't realise that carrot was on the no no list his dietician gave him and so he picked all the julienne carrot out of the stir fry I made for tea the other night. He's taking it so seriously, I'm very proud.

The biggest thing I've had to change is my cooking. I'm a pastry chef and I love cooking so I'm probably to blame for some of Luke's weight (which kills me). I work from home so now I do all the baking while he's at the office and hide it all and air the house out before he gets home. I've also started eating my main meal at lunch time on my own and I just eat the same thing as luke for dinner because I'm very concious of eating in front of him. I'm also trying my best to stop talking about food and recipes, it's hard because it's my job and my passion rolled in one but I know it's just cruel if I don't shut up.

I also have a bit of weight to shift (funny, a tubby pastry chef, go figure) so I'll be focusing on getting healthier too, we've made a pact that this year is the year!

So great to hear that you have so much respect for your husband's band and are being so supportive. I've seen stories of other people's partner eating maccas in front of them or friends sabotaging with hurtful words. My hubby is also being very supportive of my decision to band up and I know how much I appreciate it and love him even more for it. So I know that you're husband is very greatful to have your support and understanding. Well done :)

Hi Kate!

Good on your hubby for making a great decision! How are you going with the thought of it all? How is he feeling? I think it was all a little overwhelming in the beginning, i was feeling guilty eating when he couldn't, especially when he went back into hospital after the op due to complication (in another post). He is going great guns now and is really happy with his progress!

Looking forward to chatting with you! Best wished for your hubby's op!

Cheers Bree

Hi All

My hubby was banded a week ago, am feeling slightly guilty when eating but he is having his soup with me at dinner time. He has made me breakfast every day this week and claims he isn't hungry. So we have just embarked on this mission and looking forward to some support for both him and me. Well done to all you lapbanders.

My husband was done April 16 this year.  He is now day 20 and 12kgs down.  I am so proud of him.  He is sticking to the diet so well.

Once we have saved up some more I will get done later this year.

I am learning (with difficulty) that portion size is really important.  Imagine that in an Italian family.

Seeing as I am the cook I have had to learn some new ways of cooking.  Soups etc.

At least I know what I am to look forward to.

I have cut down my meal sizes because I feel guilty eating normal food in front of his - thin fluids, - thicker fluids, - mushy, and soon soft.

and have lost some weight.  Not enough though.

This site is excellent for support, recipes and somewhere to vent if necessary.

Good banding everyone.

• Like 1

My husband was done April 16 this year.  He is now day 20 and 12kgs down.  I am so proud of him.  He is sticking to the diet so well.

Once we have saved up some more I will get done later this year.

I am learning (with difficulty) that portion size is really important.  Imagine that in an Italian family.

Seeing as I am the cook I have had to learn some new ways of cooking.  Soups etc.

At least I know what I am to look forward to.

I have cut down my meal sizes because I feel guilty eating normal food in front of his - thin fluids, - thicker fluids, - mushy, and soon soft.

and have lost some weight.  Not enough though.

This site is excellent for support, recipes and somewhere to vent if necessary.

Good banding everyone.

It's been nearly 3 weeks BlueGirl.. it seems so long ago doesn't it? We are struggling a bit with portion sizes too so you aren't alone with that one.

Hi Bree and everyone else. I was banded on March 24 and hubby is being done on June 13. He doesn't come on here yet but is always interested to hear from me when I tell him snippets (he also likes to read some of my posts). Given some of his food issues he has been losing weight pre-surgery for the last three weeks and still has three weeks to lose some more. He has struggled with the optifast phase (and even though I call it this he is not using opti and neither did I) but given that he has had so long to reduce his liver fat is still allowed to eat food (though in much smaller portions than he is used to) provided he limits the intake of certain foods (limited high carb foods).

I am quite proud of how well he is doing but think it might take him a while to adjust to post surgery portions (I think he will over serve for some time) and he has noticed this himself when he makes me something to eat and I just can't eat it. He made lunch the other day and went to serve something on my plate and i questioned him, he replied with something like 'I guess I should've asked before'.

We made the decision last year to be banded during 2014, after we decided to move to Tassie (mostly based on lifestyle choices). We were always going to be done separately but the plan was for him to go first. As it turned out I was referred to the surgeon first so I went first. I think he has been quite reassured being able to see the process and clear up any doubts he was having.

I am really enjoying the process so far and look forward to hubby joining me in the banded journey.

• Like 2

Portion control is an issue... Some days I can eat something really small and then convince myself I am full other days I dish more and still manage to finish it all.... So not sure if I am doing it right. Hopefully my 2nd fill will restrict me some more

• Like 2

Well we are at home following hubby's surgery. He is feeling a little sore and sorry but that will pass. We are both now on the way (I'm 12 weeks on Monday) to a healthier, and hopefully slimmer, versions of ourselves.

• Like 6

Someone to share (half) your meals.

Should make eating out so much easier

• Like 5

Well we are at home following hubby's surgery. He is feeling a little sore and sorry but that will pass. We are both now on the way (I'm 12 weeks on Monday) to a healthier, and hopefully slimmer, versions of ourselves.

Congrats to hubby on his first step to a healthier life. Wishing him well with his journey. No doubt his success will be great with you as his "Coach" ;) and yours too being the role model. Hand in hand achievement...lucky ducks!

• Like 1

A quick update, after coming home hubby was unable to get much sleep and the next morning was in pain. He decided that he needed to go back to hospital he was in that much pain, so off to emergency it was for us. He was thoroughly checked and after nothing was found, given a prescription for panadeine forte and a few other things and sent home (6 hours later). He is still taking the pain killers for time to time but things have really settled down for him.

• Like 1