Lins

Gall bladder issues after banding

I had my gall bladder out last year after suffering quite badly for about 18 months. The first attack I felt as though I might be having a heart attack. Pain radiates through you to your back as well and I had monstrous headaches. It is easily diagnosed by having an ultrasound.

Good luck!

I had my gall bladder out about 8 years ago - it was full of little stones so had to go. Since then, I have been in hospital a few times with obstructive cholangitis. When they take out the gall bladder, they leave the common bile duct behind as it drains the liver and pancreas. When it obstructs, the liver and pancreas dont drian and 'self metabolise'. This is the most excruciating pain I have ever had. I would rather give birth to a 10kg baby with a big boofy head and shoulders, than go through this again. Get the gall bladder out, but ask for the common bile duct to be stented at the same time - to avoid cholangitis.

gee this is really surprising (and a tad frightening) so many of you with bands have had gall bladder problems later on. I'll be hoping I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't get to experience that level of pain and I have gone through childbirth and know what that is like OUCH!

Very low calorie diets often cause gall bladder issues, regardless if you had them pre existing. I will have to get mine out as i developed a problem during pregnancy and now i have had it once i will probably get it again.

Mine came out - all fine - yes gall bladder covered by new health fund as had that covered under my old fund and it transferred. In my peculiar case some weeks later maybe about 10 weeks later I got a problem with the port - thought it had moved - back in - for third op since band went in - port related - and the port area (or something, not 100% sure) was full of fluid and that was causing the port not to be accessed - so in the op they just removed the fluid. All ok now - except for the fact that due to these 3 ops in several months (and recovery time and lack of gym etc and too damn scared to do much and do any more damage to that port!) I have put weight back on. So wanted to be under 100 kilos by Christmas (2011) and nearly got there - but now back up to 120kilos. At last all recovery time is over, I have 3 mls (less than usual but that's OK - dont want over-tight) in and back at gym - am hopeful that THIS christmas (2012, 7 months away) I will get under the 100 kilos! It's almost 2 years since the band - last 6 months have been hassles - re port and gall bladder but prior to that a dream run and still down on start weight of 152...

PS I didnt have any symptoms or pain re gallbladder but when gettting a scan for somethign else it showed the gall bladder full of many many stones of various sizes and I agreed to get it out as a precaution rather than waiting til it was an emergency!