Nic-Alayne81

Toowoomba and Darling Downs / Ipswich and Lockyer Valley Bandits

Hi All

Im in Ipswich and booked in for my band 05/08/2011 so just started Optifast today. Also very nervous as never had a big operation before.

Hi Nat, Welcome!

Good luck with the Optifast diet!

Nice to meet another local on here.

good luck jodi on your surgery , i got a phone call from the royal brisbane hospital today they wanted a few more detail as they have another patient with the same name date of birth but lives in brisbane , so i gave the the address so they can process my refferal as i told them i have never lived in brisbane .

Chook that is kind of funny. But not the first time I have heard of that. There was a girl I went to school with who had to get stat dec from her parents just to get her L plates becuase there was some one in the system with the same name and date of birth as her already.

I'm up for a meet and greet in the Ipswich area if we are up for one....

Hi all, What about a meet up at Queens Park in Ipswich (maybe the cafe there) is anyone interested in a get together?

I'm keen but am away for the next two weeks

That's fine let us know when you are available and then we will go from there hopefully some others from this area will pop in too.

Nic, I am 1 hour west of Toowoomba, but come in there regularly, we should have a Darling Downs meet up!

To all those bandits in Ipswich (or close by) I go to Zumba at the Ipswich Workers Club every Saturday morning, the reason I am telling you this is that there are only 3 of us most Saturdays and there are no mirrors (I hate seeing how unco I am) it's very private and if you are embarrassed about going to a gym to do exercise this might be for you also I would like our class to get bigger to keep it going. Rachelle is our teacher and she is fantastic it costs $14 a lesson but $7 (I think for your first) it goes for an hour and it's a great workout and you feel great for the rest of the day. If you want more details message me. biggrin.gif

Oh bugger I am working at the handmade expo this weekend! Please rain stop!!

hi all...i am in T'bar .... just looking around and gathering information .... i am only just starting my journey....

any advice on what to ask about at surgeon's appointment...which is coming up in about a month...

any suggestions and tips would be great... :D

Hi All,

I am in Ipswich and just starting out. Have appt next week. 

What is this opti fast thing ?

Have been going round in circles for the last 10 years, can't exercise properly cause I have knee & back problems (surgery) and they are made worse from excess weight.. groan.... Hoping this may help in both ways :D

Hi guys... I'm in the Ipswich area too.

Hi all. I am in Toowoomba and have been considering lap banding for some time now.. have finally plucked up the courage ..and have made an appt with Dr Copp -  next week (a little anxious!!).. i would be interested in hearing others who have had banding done with Dr Copp..what can i expect? 

Welcome Trisan!

Congrats on taking the first few steps :) I was banded in Brisbane by Dr Bowden so I can't give you any info on Dr Copp but try typing his name into the search bar because I know there have been a few people on here who have been.

:)

Thanks BeeBop :) I am feeling quite apprehensive about my appointment.. but deep down i know this is the right thing to do... Just trying to weigh up whether i go the band or the sleeve.. hard call really.. certainly looking at the comments from people on this forum is very helpful.. but i have to admit .. the whole thing scares me a little.. :)

It is a tough call and only one you can make. I personally went with the band because of my age and I was spooked at the idea of going something so permanent. In saying that, after I am done with having kids and all that and due for my band to be replaced, I will be opting for a permanent solution and who knows what will be available in 10-15ish years time :) There are pros and cons to both. Don't worry if you are undecided when you talk to your surgeon - ask his opinion! If you don't like him - ask someone else! Don't feel pressured into one. Take your time to choose what is right for you.

You are doing the right thing by researching as much as you can :) You will need to be committed to whatever you choose or it won't work properly.

Best of luck with your choice. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

Thanks BeeBop. I saw Dr Copp on Friday.. he was lovely.. my biggest fear (somewhat stupid really) was him talking me out of it!! But he didn't.. he explained the options and was very thorough.. i am feeling so much better about it all! I will talk to his nurse next week who will explain what the process is etc.. and hopefully it wont be too long before my surgery.. do you know what sort of timeframes i could expect ..ie how long from the first inital appointment to surgery??

How are you finding the band? I see you are 50% to your goal weight.. so it's definitely working!! Well done!!  :D

Not a stupid fear at all! Mine was being told no! Have you decided band or sleeve?

A lot of surgeons can operate in about 2 weeks! Mine had openings 12 days from my first appt but I had to wait a month because of uni. Don't be rushed into it though :) Make a plan when the operation would best suit you. Do you have children? Do you have someone to look after them while you are recovering? Can you get the time off work? Are you self funding or insured? Do you have to optifast? See any other doctors pre-op?

I am sure your surgeon has told you what to do before hand though :) If you are wanting a set idea of operating times, just call the clinic and ask - they will oblige because many people have to give their workplace notice for a week off.

Can't complain about my band :) it is working as it should - I am the one holding the weightloss back! I am probably more like 60-70% to goal now but haven't changed it. I am also coming up on my 3rd bandiverary in May :)

• Like 1

Hi BeeBop.. i have a date for the surgery..17th Feb.. i have seen the pyschologist and am trying to get an appointment with the dietician and i have full support from my doctor..which is good.... i think i will have to do the optifast thing.. (not sure how i will cope on that!! ) so it is all systems go -just waiting for my package of stuff in the mail.... but i am nervous!!  Got work sorted out.. just have to find out how much Bupa will give me back!! I have adult children..so no problems there thankfully! I am going with the sleeve as i feel thats the best option for me.. but i take my hat off to you having the band.. i  think that would be much harder.. and its great that you are doing so well.. :) !!

Yay! How exciting! You have everything well and truly in motion now!

Yeah... opti-crap is nasty I'm sorry to say but still worth doing if you have to :)

Good on you for making the best choice for you - sleevers are also welcome on this forum so don't feel like you have to leave.

:D

• Like 1