Scarlett

Pre-op Optifast

Just wondering if anyone has done the Optifast and had the surgeons not operated as they hadn't lost enough from their liver

Okay confession time.......I am up for my third band with the same surgeon and have not had to do Optifast in the past, but apparently its just a standard request now. Well through ups and downs & 4 different surgery dates, I haven't been really strict and worried that they will open me up and be able to tell I haven't been a good girl :(.

Wanted to hear if there are others out there like me.

Hi Scarlett,

This is my 5th week on Optifast and have eaten some things I know I should'nt have. I have my last appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday.

From other Bandits that have have blogged or replied to questions that not all Doctors expect Optifast before hand. :unsure:

I admit I am anxious about hopping on the scales and confessing my evil eating habits have afftected my weight.

I am having the same fear. I wrote yesterday how I failed miserably and how hard optifast is to stick too. So I am with you, don't know the answers but like you need the encouragement. I've been good today except for sucking on some lozenge's for my sore throat. Hope all goes well for you do you know your surgery date??

I am having the same fear. I wrote yesterday how I failed miserably and how hard optifast is to stick too. So I am with you, don't know the answers but like you need the encouragement. I've been good today except for sucking on some lozenge's for my sore throat. Hope all goes well for you do you know your surgery date??

Hi Toymum, its this Wednesday, it was supposed to orginally to be today, then moved to early May, then moved to last Wednesday - and I spent the day on a trolley before they said they had run out of time.

I am way smaller than my first operation and have a BMI of around 33, so not really huge. I just feel guilty that I haven't done the requisite 2 weeks really well. And like you, was hoping for some encouragement that everything will be okay.

oh my how come they had you on a trolley for all that time, that's awful. Can I ask is that public or is this private Health???

Just for clarification you wrote that you've had this surgery before can I ask why you have had it done again, did you have the band removed or was something wrong with it??

Don't feel guilty you aren't that big so your liver is probably alright, the liver needing shrinking is the main reason for the optifast. My liver is fatty so that is why I have to do it. The bigger you are the longer you have to go on optifast for some people it's 4 weeks.

The way they have stuffed you around it's a bit hard really. I would have binged after being stuck on a hospital trolley all day and then not having surgery. That's definitely a chocolate fix situation LOL.

Well I hope your surgery actually happens on Wednesday and it all goes well. Take care. :)

Hey Scarlett,

Firstly all the very best for your surgery on Wednesday.

Im sure you will be fine and if your BMI is only 33 then even a week on the optifast will have made a difference.

I fully understand how frustrated you must have felt with all the mix ups I had the same problems!!!

I ended up being on opti for 16 weeks before i finally got banded on the 1st March 2011.

Its the best thing I have ever done and being on opti for such a long time gave me the chance to get my head in the right space to lose the 100kg's that i want. I lost 46 from being on the opti and since banding have lost another 12 so only 42 to go lol

Please let us know how everything goes for you and i look forward in following your journey.

Take care

Suzie

Wow that is so fantastic susie 58Kgs man that is awesome.

Well done, also well done for sticking to optifast for 16 weeks your a wonder woman. :)

Hey toymum,

Thanks so much

Im pretty proud of myself i have to admit as i have always had a weight problem and tried so many ways to lose weight and over 26 years ago even had stapling which i got reversed.

So to me banding was my last option and im so happy and wish now id done it earlier.

Im sure everything with your surgery will go fine and remember its great this community for advice and support but what one persons experience is doesnt mean it will be the same for yourself!!

I learnt so much after joining here and can offer as much support that anybody needs and share my experiences but some things that others experienced didnt happen to me so dont sit waiting for something to he=appen to you cause you may have read that i found out the hard way lol

You certainly have got your hands full with your children so im so pleased that your going to take the time out for yourself and therefore once you have lost your weight be around for your children a lot longer.

Keep in touch and let me know how your going and if you need an ear message me anytime

Best wishes

Suzie xx

I skipped the Optifast, that stuff is poison! I was 156 kilograms when I had my band.

I too was 'on the trolley' for over 12 hours.

And yup, big fat private Melbourne hospital!

Thats great Advice Susie yeah I'll try to remember that, I can imagine that waiting for something to happen or not that has for someone else.

Thanks also for your support I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll take you up on it like most pre-op bandit's I'm excited yet nervous.

You are so right about wanting to be around longer for my kids not only that I want to keep up with them. I also fell that they have carried quite a large burden because my husband had a stroke 5 yrs ago and had brain surgery (he's fine now) Not long after that I developed migraines and other health problems and have really be quite sick for a while. This yr is the first yr that I haven't spent a large portion of it in bed due to some debilitating problem or another. My kids have become quite independent and resourceful and I am really proud of them but I feel a bit guilty as well. So I am doing this for them to give them a healthier mum. I lost 40kgs with weight watchers 5 yrs ago, then all the health stuff happened so it's been a hard. With all the pills I'm on and health stuff I haven't been able to loose more than 10kg since.

I turn 40 this yr so this is going to be my year :) Don't they say life beings at 40. LOL

My Surgeon hasnt asked me to go on Optifast (altho I AM taking it -my own decision- this 7 days before surgery to get a kick start). -he just told me to "eat like a 3 year old child" this week to "get used to how it will be afterwards"...

I'm 120kg, so no 'lightweight' for the surgery. I guess all doctors are different.. I'm sure you will be fine! Good Luck!!

I skipped the Optifast, that stuff is poison! I was 156 kilograms when I had my band.

I too was 'on the trolley' for over 12 hours.

And yup, big fat private Melbourne hospital!

Thanks Catharine, I think that a lot of people who don't do the "right thing" (ie 2 weeks of optifast) don't want to publicly acknowledge it. But this is my third time, its a little like having your third baby - you know what its like, you know whats its like afterwards, so do you really need to do the birthing classes and the baby bathing stuff?

Although I have never been asked to do the Optifast before.

I really appreciate the honest feedback

Thanks Catharine, I think that a lot of people who don't do the "right thing" (ie 2 weeks of optifast) don't want to publicly acknowledge it.

Well as has been said, not all doctors make you do it - I'm with Professor Paul O'Brien and I don't have to do Optifast.

That said I am trying to cut right back and if I could get my hand on a darn shaker (what's with that, they're not available anywhere?!) I'd have cut back to Biggest Loser shakes this week.

Just saying that Optifast isn't the "right thing" for everyone or every doctor.

Well I'm really struggling with this optifast stuff, I must admit I'm not as hungry as I was the first few days but it could be because I've got a cold.

Can i ask why you have had the surgery 3 times??

katrina

And I guess if we were people that 'did the right thing' when it came to food and exercise we wouldn't be choosing the lap-band!

laugh.gif