Jacqui in Adelaide SA

What did the surgeon say?

Had my last appointment before surgery on Monday. I told him I was getting quiet anxious about but certainly not changing my decision to go ahead.

I was prepared this time and had a number of questions I had. That's when he answered my query about my Goal Weight.

GOSH!! He told me 70kg which is half my weight now. I didn't say much about that cause I was in shock.:o I can't ever remember being that weight before the kilos slowly increased. :unsure:

I think I will just take small steps and wonder about the big picture later. I have no idea if I can achieve it and I don't want this to seem unachievable.

Is this even a realistic goal?

Hi Jacqui

Don't focus on the goal, this is a journey that will take us a while!! Like you my ideal weight is half my starting weight. I think I was about 15 the last time I was there and that was after an incredibly strict dietitian prescribed diet took off about 25 kilos. The first of many over the last 25 years!

There is a post in here about Mini goals - It's a great post, worth finding!! Everyone is different but this journey I have set up rewards that are both kilos and clothes sizes to help keep me focused and motivated along the way. In the past I've tried hard to loose weight but the ideal weight has been so far from where I was that it never seemed achieveable.

If your doctor thinks the goal he has suggested is doable then it will be. If it looks daunting, try breaking it up into smaller chunks and see how you go!!

Good luck!

• Like 1

I was shoicked at my dr suggesting a goal weight of 80 kgs for me...I actually laughed at him and said NO WAY....but he is confident I can do it.

I break my weight loss into 5 kg chunks. Its more digestable!

Once you get started losing weight you will surprise yourself. But I think you are right to concentrate on one step at a time. Just do the best you can do every day. If you have a slip up, get back to it harder the next day. Perhaps make your goal in steps... Like, make a goal to lose 10 kilos in 2 months. Then 10 kilos in the following 2 months or something... whatever you feel you can achieve.. and when you do, you will feel so great to move to the next goal.

• Like 1

Had my last appointment before surgery on Monday. I told him I was getting quiet anxious about but certainly not changing my decision to go ahead.

I was prepared this time and had a number of questions I had. That's when he answered my query about my Goal Weight.

GOSH!! He told me 70kg which is half my weight now. I didn't say much about that cause I was in shock.:o I can't ever remember being that weight before the kilos slowly increased. :unsure:

I think I will just take small steps and wonder about the big picture later. I have no idea if I can achieve it and I don't want this to seem unachievable.

Is this even a realistic goal?

It can be really hard to look at a number when you are just starting, like many others I have broken my down into 10kg lots and try to loose 10kgs in 3 month blocks.

I was so overwhelmed at the begining thinking I would never get to the end - but as you go on and you tick off the goals everything seems more achieveable.

It takes time and hard work but boy do you feel good as you tick off milestones and soon the goal looks in reach - I am hoping to loose an extra 5-10kg then what's on my ticker but really if I get to the weight on my ticker then I have exceeded my expections beyond belief.

Good Luck and remember it's not a race - it's a lifestyle :)

Yes I agree with everyones opinions here too :) looking at the end result is too daunting, break it up into a multiple goals - 10kg at a time is a realistic and acheivable goal...

Once the weight comes off each mini goal seems that more reachable!

Goodluck, You can do it! Take that first step... you wont regret it :)

I've been breaking mine down into 10kg blocks. I have been taking pics of myself (front on full body, side on full body and close up front on) every 10kgs lost to compare my body shape etc.

My doc hasn't set a goal for me, he just wants me to get down to a weight where I will be happy and healthy. I have chosen however to set myself a long term goal of 80kgs, and I am slowly chipping away at the 70kgs I have to lose to get there.

Check out the link above and set yourself some short term goals and some non-scale victory goals (NSV thread link ), to help keep you motivated along the way.

My surgeon said 70kg which means losing 45.2 kg over the 2 year period that he recommended to me (although personally I would like to lose another 5 - 8 kg on top of that). Breaking down to mini goals - and realistic ones at that are what I am focusing on to get there. I am breaking it down to 10kg blocks as well over a 3 month period at a time.