Sign in to follow this  
Jacqui in Adelaide SA

Anaesthesiologist

I don't really have a question just wanted others to know incase they get a phone call regarding cost for anaesthesiologist one to two working days before surgery. :unsure:

I thought the co-payment was final money to hand out. I know some have mentioned they have hospital excesses to pay but this call today was a surprise. I had to pay a gap payment of $300 which is not covered by private health. Luckily I had some credit available. :huh:

Yes for my surgery I had to pay:

$2500 for the surgery

$500 access fee for the hospital

$400 for the anethetist (this price varied from $300-900 depending on which one you picked/got

and after surgery i got a bill in the mail for the barium swallow for $500. However i took the bill into medicare, filled out paperwork and they and my private health insurance (through medicare) will send me out cheques, not sure how much the gap will be yet.

yep mine was $250 from memory and $250 hospital excess as well, but I was given a list of costs when I booked in for the operation.

Like you said - lucky you had credit!

In the information folder my Dr asks you to ring the Anaethetists to get a price and for their prepayment. Mine surprised me at being $950.

My Surgery was $3300 (got $600 back)

Anaesthetist Gap was $400 (they submitted the account to medicare for me)

No excess on my policy for hospital and no exclusions, so I didn't have to pay out of pocket for the hospital.

Lap-Band prosthesis included in my level of private health cover, so no extra pay outs for that.

Still waiting on the barium swollow bill 3 1/2 weeks later.

I only had to pay the gap to the surgeon $2000! wow i really was lucky!

I self funded , my surgeon & aneith was $6500 and the hosp $11000