fridgey

is 4 days post op too soon to fly?

I am booked in for april 21st, and i am hoping to fly over and see my son in NSW (from Perth) on ANZAC day (25th), i was wondering if anyone else has tried flying so soon after their operation.

I will then need to drive for quite a while after that, but may well do that the next day.

Anyone got some good advice????:blink:

For me, I didnt start to feel any where near myself until day 8 after the op, but we are all so different.

Good luck

Kelz

:unsure: I'm day 7 post op and couldn't have imagined doing all that so soon. But as Kelz said, we are all different. The biggest part will be the long driving!

You need to check with your surgeon too about whether it's safe for you to do this so soon.

After the anaesthetic you don't feel "normal" for at least a few days. It really knocks the life out of you. Your concentration levels won't be the same as previously in that first week with the band. You also may find sitting for a long period hurts and is uncomfortable.

You should definately consult your surgeon. If possible have a buddy with you to do the driving.

Im not banded, but I couldnt imagine having a seat belt around my tummy, taking off and landing all the stuff that goes with travel, jet lag. Think you should check with the doctor so you dont run yourself down and dont heal properly and have to go to hospital.

I am booked in for april 21st, and i am hoping to fly over and see my son in NSW (from Perth) on ANZAC day (25th), i was wondering if anyone else has tried flying so soon after their operation.

I will then need to drive for quite a while after that, but may well do that the next day.

I flew home after surgery on day 4 and it was fine. Wouldn't' recommend travelling with too much luggage though as I made the mistake of carrying too many bags and was a bit sore. I felt great and was driving by day 5, but as has been said everybody is different. I think we do what we have to do though.

I sure wouldn't. See what your doc says, as you've already booked your ticket.

I had a rough recovery including an infection etc and I fly day 5 post op. It was only melbourne to sydney and I booked 2 seats as I was already big and the extra room REALLY helped. I flew with my husband so didnt carry anything and it was ok nothing to bad at all to be honest. Really the drive to the airport was worse. I would have been driving though as I was definitely still foggy from the anaesthetic.

I asked my surgeon and he didnt see a problem with it at all but wanted me to wear circulation stockings to make sure and told me to move my ankles heaps to prevent DVT which I was at higher risk of due to recent surgery. Otherwise no problems at all!

I was back in hospital in four days with a staph infection. And I don't (really) say that for shock value.

This operation is a big, important, dangerous, complicated and complicating procedure.

My (late night) (grumpy) advice is to respect it, and your decision.

Thanks for the input, i might have to put it off for a few more days, although i'll check with the surgeon tomorrow.

Thanks for all your advice, (albeit grumpy or not). It is a big decision, after a big life changing operation, and not to be taken lightly. With some advice from people who have experienced flying post op, then i can make a more informed decision.

Cheers B)

I reckon it would be a big call physically to do all that so soon but the biggest issue would be eating, you'll be on small vols of liquid then, for me personally at the beginning I needed a good routine to get the hang on the eating stuff. Personally i wouldnt do a trip like that till I was well settled on solids

Fridgey, I flew back to Kalgoorlie 4 days after open abdomin surgery for my lap band in Perth and it was alrite only 1 hour flight but as far as driving around i wouldnt recomend it, just have a week off and get some rest, liquids only means no energy.

Looks like i have convinced me old girl (love ya mom) to come to Sydney and chauffer me around. This takes a load off me for sure, and i reckon if i have any pain prior to the flight i could take a couple of pills to numb the pain. It's 4 hours, and if i get up and walk around a lot i should be OK (i`ll have my smokin' hot surgical stockings on of course)...

I'll probably just stay on Optifast shakes until i am back at the oldies house, then time to practice making homemade soups. My old man has heaps of recipe books, i'm bound to find some nice ones.

Cheers for the info Nathan, and trust me, once that plane lands and my mum is involved, there is not gonna be any problem with being spoilt rotten. Any time her son, (and grandson), are in town, out comes the pampering...:D

I flew home from my surgery (3 hour flight) on day 4. It felt okay, I was a bit tired after.

My surgeon told me it was okay, as long as I didn't have any complications from the surgery,( which I didn't) and advised me not to eat or drink anything in flight, as gasses expand at altitude.

My main focus post op was avoidance of nausea and vomiting.

I had some nausea medications on hand in case I had any problems, which I didn't.

As mentioned by someone earlier, I found dealing with my luggage hard - couldn't comfortably deal with my suitcase on wheels!

Good luck!

LL

Thanks for the input, i might have to put it off for a few more days, although i'll check with the surgeon tomorrow.

Thanks for all your advice, (albeit grumpy or not). It is a big decision, after a big life changing operation, and not to be taken lightly. With some advice from people who have experienced flying post op, then i can make a more informed decision.

Cheers B)

Um, Ouch re: With some advice from people who have experienced flying post

I experience 'life' post op and it was hard enough...

I guess I would just say be as kind and gentle to yourself as you can be.

With me I found eating around people, even those very close to me, really really difficult. If I go to a resturant I need to see the menu beforehand and sometimes I even call the chef ahead of time to explain my challenges.

Your family worry when you go to the bathroom and throw up. And we all say 'oh, that wont happen to me'.

Good luck, I was just trying to give you the benefit of my 4+ years post band.

WELL THE SURGEON HAS GIVEN ME THE OK TO FLY, SO THAT PUTS ME A BIT MORE AT EASE...

I had my band done in Bangkok and I flew back to Australia after 2 full days of recovery. Was a bit tender when I got home but was fine, drink plenty of water before the flight (stops you from retaining fluids during the flight) take your own liquids on the plane and if you feel tightness this is normal. The band sometimes has air trapped in it and expands in flight. The movement straight after the op was a blessing, I was so sore in hospital but after moving around and getting to the airport all the gas was gone and I felt normal :)

Best of luck xo

Good luck with your Sydney/NSW adventure! ANZAC Day is pretty busy in the centre of Sydney Although the ANZAC March is over by about 1pm there are loads of people all through the city for most of the day and a few road closures around and about. If you are heading North from the Airport, can I suggest you take Sydney Harbour Tunnel or the Cross City Tunnel.

Good luck with your op and I hope you have an easy recovery and a great trip.

Enjoy your time with your son and your parents!!

S

Cheers guys, really looking forward to getting over there and seeing my little fella. I have three weeks to spend with him, so plenty of time to heal and play. We will be heading to nan and pops house for most of the time, but a trip to canberra is in the pipeline as well. <BR>Less than a week to go till the op, getting pretty excited, and less anxious as i go, although that will probably change once the big day is due. I just hope i am a good healer... <BR>As for travelling in Sydney, i used to live there 15 years ago and know how hectic it gets. So, i am gonna catch the train to the city, then onto Gosford to pick up the rugrat, then i am thinking of getting on the XPT and heading to Wagga that night...

I flew home (about a 3 hour flight) 3 days after surgery, and it was fine.

However, it was a drama at the airport. I dont know about other airlines, but you cannot fly Qantas within 4 days of laparoscopic surgery without medical clearance from your surgeon. Even after 4 days I would advise having a clearance certificate, as the lady checking me in thought it was 7 days...

Make sure you have dressings with you. They will ask if you do.

DO YOU NEED TO TELL THEM? I WAS JUST GOING TO GET ON THE PLANE LIKE NORMAL....