Helen

Toowoomba Op

Does anyone know if you can have lapband surgery in Toowoomba or do I have to travel to Brisbane?

Any lapband doctor's that you would highly recommend in Toowoomba or Brisbane?

hi i am from toowoomba i think they do it at st vincent hospital toowoomba , i have a refferal to brisbane as i am going to try to get it done publicly as they don,t do it at toowoomba base . i have had a refferal to the royal brisbane.

I am in Ipswich, and had it done here so you may find you don't have to travel all the way to Brisbane to have this surgery.

Hi Helen, I am from Toowoomba. Dr Evan Willingham does lap-bands out of St. Vincents Hospital. He is pretty alright with his pricing. I chose to go with Dr Greenslade in Brisbane though.

Hi Helen,

I was originally referred to Dr Willingham at St Vincents in Toowoomba last year and my GP spoke highly of him. I am opting to go down to Brisbane to see Dr Blair Bowden because it was easier to find out more about him and because I want to keep it a secret I have had it done and you know how people can talk in Toowoomba!

There is also a Dr John Copp who does people from Toowoomba, Ipswich and surrounding areas but I don't know a great deal about him.

You have to meet with his nurse, a dietitian and a psychologist before he will operate. The good thing about Dr Bowden is his team come up to a clinic in Toowoomba every 6-8 weeks to do adjustments and check ups and he also has a list of dietitians and psychologists in the Toowoomba and surrounding areas you can visit. I was able to book my dietitian, psychologist and surgical consult all on the same day at the Wesley hospital, they are very accommodating if you are from out of town :) I hope this helps! Good luck with it all :D

BeeBop

I was in Dr Copp's office today. I know his staff will be in Toowoomba this Friday. I have found him very good so far.

I have a referral to see Dr Copp in Toowoomba and managed to get an appointment this Friday. The receptionist said if I go ahead with the lapbanding I could be done in about a month. Very excited about that, thought there would be a long wait for some reason. I am worried they will say no to me though. Probably just feeling nervous. Do I have to see a psychologist?

I was in Dr Copp's office today. I know his staff will be in Toowoomba this Friday. I have found him very good so far.

I am from Toowoomba too and going with Dr. Copp, you do have to see a physcologist but I work full time so he said it was fine for me to Do a phone appt which I have done..booked for surgery on 16th May! Eeeek!

Going to see Dr. Copp today. I am paranoid they are going to say No, you can't have it done for some reason. lol. Hope I can and hope it can be done soon. May 16 is not far away for you. Very exciting.

I am from Toowoomba too and going with Dr. Copp, you do have to see a physcologist but I work full time so he said it was fine for me to Do a phone appt which I have done..booked for surgery on 16th May! Eeeek!

I've got my appointment with Dr Willingham on October 22. What is his waiting list like? How long from first appt to surgery? I'm worried he'll say no!

Hi Pink74, I have not used Dr Willingham but was originally refered to him and my GP thought he was a very nice person :) With the waiting list and wait for surgery, just call his offices and they will tell you. I went down to Bris to have mine done becasue I am a secret bandit and the wait time was only 2 weeks (although I waited longer to get things sorted for my recovery).

What makes you worried he will say no? It is hard to comment without knowing more about your weight and so on...

Good luck!! :)

Hi I travelled from Mackay to Ipswich to be banded by Dr Copp. Dr Copp and his team travel to Mackay every 3 months. I found everyone really lovely and Dr Copp came highly recommended by a Doctor friend of mine. Seeing a Psych and Dietician wasn't a drama at all. Good luck with your decision.

Hi beebop! Ive made my decision, just waiting for my appt. I'm even seeing dietician & pshyc before surgeon to speed it all up! I'm 163cm, 108kg, BMI 40 & now am on blood pressure medication so I really hope I'll b ok to get it done. Eeeekkk!! :)

Woo! Exciting :D I was 169cm, 103kgs with a long family history of co-mobs plus asthma and I was accepted when I was 18 years old so I can't imagine you would have a problem BMI wise :) Let us know how your appt goes and good on you for being pro-active and getting a jump on the process :)

• Like 1