I am 145kg and going in to have my op in August....

Besides being really scared ..

I am also wondering what will happen to my skin?

Has anyone lost a huge amount of weight and experienced this.?

:blink: Sindy

Hey

I would predict that ill be in the same situation, so once im at my goal i will have surgery to cut and tuck lol

I dont intend on children so i dont think there will be issues in the future.

But with slow weight loss you may be able to lessen the effects, talk to your clinic about it - ill be referred at goal to a plastic surgeon to get that fixed.

Good luck!

there'll be plenty of saggy stuff, the skin comes back a little bit but not much really,only real fix is surgery unfortuneately

Start doing weights and squats (if possible). These really help tone the skin. Also start moisturising lots and lots.

It will not cure the skin problems but will help.

excersise, situps weights to tone my wife did/does it 4 times a week at the Gym, and she has lost 35kg, and has tightened up well

if you just lose the weight and dont work out yes u will have flaps of skin

ive also been told men tighten up better than women, not sure of this i'll let u know in about 12 months lol

excersise, situps weights to tone my wife did/does it 4 times a week at the Gym, and she has lost 35kg, and has tightened up well

if you just lose the weight and dont work out yes u will have flaps of skin

ive also been told men tighten up better than women, not sure of this i'll let u know in about 12 months lol

No way hose, ive been working out & moisturinsing till the cows come home, helps with the arms & chest a bit but nothing has helped the tummy & thighs, got plenty of muscles now but they are mostly hidden under the loose skin. bear in mind I have lost 72kg and 64cm of my waist

Wow that is amazing...truly inspirational. Interestingly however the grand finale contestants on The Biggest Loser did not seem to have too much loose skin even though they had presumably lost so much weight..one would presume this was due to exercise!!

From what I've been reading it depends on a variety of factors. Some of us will have more luck than others with our skin shrinking back. It does also seem that it continues to shrink for a couple of years post weight loss.

I know the last time I lost 15 kilos the exercise I was doing certainly helped the skin shrink back a little. Planning on getting rid of much more this time so fingers crossed it shrinks a bit at least!!

S

You're right shorty, the skin does continue to shrink over a period of time which is why the recommendation is to wait 12 - 24 months after you reach your goal before deciding on any surgery.

Age is also a factor, some of the young girlies on biggest loser like Emma and Lara still have heaps of elasticity in their skin and haven't been over weight for more than 5 years or so. So their skin has coped better.

Unfortunately, for most of us, we have missed our opportunity to look after that skin. There are things you can do to support it now but realistically we should have been moisturising and everything while we were gaining weight to support our skin as it grew and that would have preserved the elasticity.

We are all different though so it's mostly a matter of wait and see. For me, I plan to have my brachioplasty (upper arm lift and tuck) as soon as I hit goal. There is nothing else that is going to fix that up for me. I am going to give my tummy and thighs the benefit of time to see what happens to them. I have been significantly over weight for 20 years though so I don't hold out much hope.

Wow that is amazing...truly inspirational. Interestingly however the grand finale contestants on The Biggest Loser did not seem to have too much loose skin even though they had presumably lost so much weight..one would presume this was due to exercise!!

unless you se em naked , you cant tell, it can all be hidden by clothes, even skimpy ones. I know this as I can hide my excess skin easily in any clothes. Even in tight cycling clothes you cant tell I have 6-8kg ( what a plastic surgeon reckoned) of skin hanging off my belly.

I am 145kg and going in to have my op in August....

Besides being really scared ..

I am also wondering what will happen to my skin?

Has anyone lost a huge amount of weight and experienced this.?

:blink: Sindy

Hey Sindy,

I can only speak from my own situation but I do think a more slow and steady weightloss helps with the dreaded saggy skin issues.

I weighed 165kg when I was 18 and got down to 89kg by the time I was 23 - I didn't have any saggy skin when I met my almost husband at 24 ( he didn't believe I was ever as big as I was - photo's tell the story)

I had my first child at 26 went form 99kg - 110kg - no change - gave birth to my second child at 28 weighing somewhere near 128kg - massive change in my stomach area.

My banding weight was 133.5kg 12 months ago but I was 136.5kg the week before surgery.

Sitting almost 40kg lighter in 12 months I am noticing things going back BUT I work out with a trainer 4 times a week and do alot of weight resistance training ( toning not bulking) and I do alot of other exercise.

My best advice is stick with steady weightloss and exercise through it all - the journey is for life and I personally feel steady + exercise can help greatly with saggy skin - having said that my chicken wig arms will never be pretty but the rest of me should be ok

Good Luck with your surgery xx

I lost 75kg and had about 5kg of loose skin removed from my tummy and arms, and I'm now considering my back/thighs.

There was no way the skin I had would shrink back with toning or moisturizer...

I think the contestants on TBL do have saggy skin because they start the show weighing in, in shorts only for the men and shorts + sports bra for the women. As they progress about halfway through they start weighing in in full Tshirt/tank top. I have noticed this in previous seasons of the show too.

I also noticed one of the contestants, Nathaniel I think, went home and they showed him on the beach and there was a lot of belly skin hanging.

Cat.

Hi there

I am 47 years old and don't hold out much hope of my stomach bouncing back after losing 54kg. I am going to look into a tummy tuck about 12 months after I reach goal, which I hope will be in the next few months.

Leanne

I am going to wait until I:

a) get to 75kgs

B) exhaust all my baby-making options

c) maintain 75kgs for 6 months

and then either see if I qualify as a public patient or get on a plane to Thailand and get a full body lift + varicose veins + + + whatever else I need to make me feel less saggy!

When I get to 75kgs I will have lost 81 kilograms. Already at 46ish kgs I've very saggy upper arms and my tummy and boobs are permanently in my shoes..

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Hey Sindy,

I can only speak from my own situation but I do think a more slow and steady weightloss helps with the dreaded saggy skin issues.

I weighed 165kg when I was 18 and got down to 89kg by the time I was 23 - I didn't have any saggy skin when I met my almost husband at 24 ( he didn't believe I was ever as big as I was - photo's tell the story)

I had my first child at 26 went form 99kg - 110kg - no change - gave birth to my second child at 28 weighing somewhere near 128kg - massive change in my stomach area.

My banding weight was 133.5kg 12 months ago but I was 136.5kg the week before surgery.

Sitting almost 40kg lighter in 12 months I am noticing things going back BUT I work out with a trainer 4 times a week and do alot of weight resistance training ( toning not bulking) and I do alot of other exercise.

My best advice is stick with steady weightloss and exercise through it all - the journey is for life and I personally feel steady + exercise can help greatly with saggy skin - having said that my chicken wig arms will never be pretty but the rest of me should be ok

Good Luck with your surgery xx

Hey Kelly, I'm impressed with your training - could you give us a run down of what you do?

I made the decision that I will weight until I am past my goal weight for a while to see how the skin sits. Already though I can tell my arms are going to be a big issue. The one thing I want to do as a thinner me is wear sleevless tops. With tuckshop arms I wouldn't even consider it. So I know I will be forking over the cash to get rid of my saggy baggy arms as my very first nip and tuck job. Eventully I will probably have a full body lift but that will be years down the track.

After giving birth to a 11lb child at 140 k then getting to 155k the chance of a superslim bikini belly, is as possible as marrying prince harry ;):D

I seriously thinking of tum tuck somewhere warm and sunny B)

Omg!!! A tummy tuck looks so scary!!! Just had a look on the Internet! I will have a big saggy tummy if I loose the weight!! But not sure I could do a tummy tuck.

Hey Kelly, I'm impressed with your training - could you give us a run down of what you do?

Hi Catharine,

Sorry I just saw this - generally I alternate between arms and legs - but every session start's with a 1km run and then I start my reps

if it's legs I could do a set that is 20 squats ( sometimes with weights) wide, together and then holding it down - I would do that 3 times then more onto the next set

With arms ( I mean arms, shoulders, back) can be bench pressing 20 and then 20 dips ( 3 reps) or 20 pushups and then bicep curls ( with 5kg weights)

Everything I do in a set is repeated 3 times before I more on, I generally do another run in the middle of a session to get my heart rate up again and then again at the end and every session is finished with sit ups.

This morning I did 90mins and burned 800cals ( I have a Polar heartrate monitor) - I can now say I can run 3km without stopping and I can do it in 20mins :)

I hope that all made sense lol

Hi Catharine,

Sorry I just saw this - generally I alternate between arms and legs - but every session start's with a 1km run and then I start my reps

if it's legs I could do a set that is 20 squats ( sometimes with weights) wide, together and then holding it down - I would do that 3 times then more onto the next set

With arms ( I mean arms, shoulders, back) can be bench pressing 20 and then 20 dips ( 3 reps) or 20 pushups and then bicep curls ( with 5kg weights)

Everything I do in a set is repeated 3 times before I more on, I generally do another run in the middle of a session to get my heart rate up again and then again at the end and every session is finished with sit ups.

This morning I did 90mins and burned 800cals ( I have a Polar heartrate monitor) - I can now say I can run 3km without stopping and I can do it in 20mins :)

I hope that all made sense lol

Yes. Heaps, thank you.

I am joining a gym in June or July (when my finances are looking a bit prettier)

I used to have PT sessions twice a week and loved it, but I think for a few years at least I am going to have to go it alone.

Thanks again - I love those exercise happy hormones!

Hi there,

I was also told by my surgeon to wait for 2 years. Apparently it is the luck of the gods as to whether or not excess skin is an issue or not. After having lost 28 odd kgs and exercising regularly I don't appear to have too much skin. I do think that losing slower is helping. When I get to my goal weight I suspect my arms will be an issue and possibly my tum. Not sure how I am going to do deal with it yet. Will think about it closer to the time.

Donna

i didnt really notice the skin till Id lost 40+kg, now, there's no way it will go back by itself.

saggy skin pics added to my gallery

:) Thankyou to everyone for all the replies...

Some very positive people to look up too...Yes to all those whom have lost weight!

I sure hope to be one of you soon xx