Helen

Hi, I'm Introducing myself.

Hi Everyone, My name is Helen, I'm a young 45 :rolleyes:and I have a great husband and 4 kids aged 11,13,14,15. So life is busy. I am starting my Optifast diet TODAY. Am worried how I am going to give up food suddenly, when it is obviously a vice of mine, and go to shakes. I guess we will find out. I am scheduled for surgery on May 30 in Ipswich, Qld. Meeting with doctor on May 19. I have a BMI of 33 so I am considered obese. I want to lose 35kgs. I am tall so some of my friends were surprised I was accepted for surgery. But clothes can hide a lot of weight and they don't live in my body. I am concerned that I will lose a lot of weight on the optifast in the next two weeks and the doctor will say he doesn't think I need the surgery :(. Anyway, am keen to get lots of tips and advice from this site, it looks like it has great people on it. xx

Just made one of those weight loss tickers: Trying it out.

weight.png

They won't stop you from having your surgery. They know you will possibly lose lots of Opti, it's kind of the point really. You'll be right mate! Don't stress!

Hi Helen

Welcome to the community and more so congratulations on making the decision to take back control of your life!!

Dont worry bout how much weight you lose on the opti cause they wouldnt decide not to operate cause of that. The opti is only a short time and having the banding is a life long decision.

Im looking forward to following your journey so let us know how your going.

Best wishes for your surgery on the 30th

Suzie x

Welcome Helen.

My BMI is 36 and I didn't lose a huge amount on optifast - about 3 1/2 kgs, so you might find that because you don't have so much weight to lose, it comes off a bit slower than for some others.

Good luck with your journey!

Allie

Hi Helen,

I'm day 12 Optifast and being banded on Wednesday the 18th....Geez, only three days away!!

I have found a recipe in a book called Knife, Fork and Band that has literally saved my bacon for the last 12 days..............you can have as much of it as you want and I've also been eating diet jellies like they are going out of fashion, they're nice and sweet. Here's the soup recipe:

Oil Spray

2 Cloves Crushed Garlic

5 Cups Salt Reduced Chicken or Vegie Stock

1 Carrot peeled and diced

1 Onion diced

1/2 zucchini diced

1/4 cabbage chopped

1 cup green beans chopped

1/4 cauliflower, finely diced

2 tablespoons no added salt tomato paste

1 cup no added salt diced tomatoes

1 teaspoon dried basil (I used fresh as I have it growing in the garden)

1 teaspoon dried oregano

black pepper to taste

Heat a saucepan that has been sprayed with oil. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients exept the zucchini and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the beans are tender. Add the zucchini and cook until zucchini is tender. Season with pepper to taste.

I made up a double batch of this to start, froze one batch and have been eating it till its coming out my ears. It takes the empty feeling away.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Dana

xx

Hi Helen,

Nice to meet you! I too am on the Optifast diet, my op is Wed week - so excited/scared...

I asked my dietitian if loosing weight on the diet would change the surgeon's mind about performing the op, but she reassured me that isn't the case. I am 46 and my bmi is 32, so low for surgery according to some (not me!)

Hi Everyone, My name is Helen, I'm a young 45 :rolleyes:and I have a great husband and 4 kids aged 11,13,14,15. So life is busy. I am starting my Optifast diet TODAY. Am worried how I am going to give up food suddenly, when it is obviously a vice of mine, and go to shakes. I guess we will find out. I am scheduled for surgery on May 30 in Ipswich, Qld. Meeting with doctor on May 19. I have a BMI of 33 so I am considered obese. I want to lose 35kgs. I am tall so some of my friends were surprised I was accepted for surgery. But clothes can hide a lot of weight and they don't live in my body. I am concerned that I will lose a lot of weight on the optifast in the next two weeks and the doctor will say he doesn't think I need the surgery :(. Anyway, am keen to get lots of tips and advice from this site, it looks like it has great people on it. xx

Thank you for the recipe, I will get the ingredients tomorrow and make a batch. Could be my life saver too.

Hi Helen,

I'm day 12 Optifast and being banded on Wednesday the 18th....Geez, only three days away!!

I have found a recipe in a book called Knife, Fork and Band that has literally saved my bacon for the last 12 days..............you can have as much of it as you want and I've also been eating diet jellies like they are going out of fashion, they're nice and sweet. Here's the soup recipe:

Oil Spray

2 Cloves Crushed Garlic

5 Cups Salt Reduced Chicken or Vegie Stock

1 Carrot peeled and diced

1 Onion diced

1/2 zucchini diced

1/4 cabbage chopped

1 cup green beans chopped

1/4 cauliflower, finely diced

2 tablespoons no added salt tomato paste

1 cup no added salt diced tomatoes

1 teaspoon dried basil (I used fresh as I have it growing in the garden)

1 teaspoon dried oregano

black pepper to taste

Heat a saucepan that has been sprayed with oil. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients exept the zucchini and bring to the boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the beans are tender. Add the zucchini and cook until zucchini is tender. Season with pepper to taste.

I made up a double batch of this to start, froze one batch and have been eating it till its coming out my ears. It takes the empty feeling away.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Dana

xx