Share a tip?

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I thought I would start a page where we can share our little tips that help us on our journeys.

My tip is to stop using plastic lapband plates, or kids plates because they are the right size and take all your meals off gorgeous plates and cups. Pull out your 'good' dinnerware or go out and buy yourself the best little plate and cup you can afford. Seeing that I only eat twice a day now, I like to make an event out of it and really enjoy my meal, even boring everyday foods seem so much more special when I eat them off Royal Doulton plates. I use my best tea-set when I have a cuppa and even just a plain old cammomile tea seems so much more inviting.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Gr8 tip Suze. I cant wait to hear what everyone has to say............ smile.gif

Posted · Report post

Hi Suzie

What a great idea...think I will treat myself. There is some gorgeous crockery out there and cup and plate sets are readily availalbe.

Thanks

Karen F

Posted · Report post

my tip is - to use the very best ingredients you can afford...for the little we can eat you may as well make the best of it!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Listen to your inner voice

Mine lead me astray sometimes but are generally nice people :)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Mine is to listen to my inner vice.

I kinda like her...

Posted · Report post

Be honest to yourself. If you are having a bad day, tell someone and hopefully they will give you the hand up.

I like the good plate therory. I have a beautiful Ashdene set my MIL has being buying me for a while and she happen to buy me two lunchen plates last year. They are perfect sized for me now. I also have the M&W europene dinner sets (only becuase when something breaks you can easily replace the peices.) So I went to Myer and got the even smaller cearel bowl so my one wheet bix does not look lost in a huge bowl. Or my half cup of soup does not seem so small.

When using spoons for soup ect i use a parfite spoon (long handled teaspoon) to eat to help slow me down.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I love the beautiful dinnerware tip! I love high tea, and girly things. I'm going to start doing this tonight!!

My tip is to do things that bring you joy aside from food. Today I am going to have a massage!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Remember to reward yourself for your wins breaking habits, saying no to an old favourite, dropping a dress size, etc Something that is all for you, a bath, a manicure, a massage...

Mark your milestones too!

S

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I am going to start saying 'thank you' when someone compliments me rather then dismissing it with a negative reply.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

All fantastic tips so far everyone :) I have another. I found the ultimate ever!! in guilt free chocolate indulgence today. Its Atkins Advantage Chocolate Brownie meal replacement bar. It is to die for. It's 220 calories and packs in a whopping 18grams of protein for only 3grams of carb! Next time you need a chocolate fix, swap a meal for this guys, you won't regret it :P

Posted · Report post

Great thread. I also use my lovely dinner set, esecially for breakfast, when hubby and I are eating together.

Tip: Keep a supply of water bottles around. Car, home, work gym bag etc. That way you can always be sure of a supply if you are away from taps.

Donna

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The water bottle thing is a good idea. I have a few about the place and it definately helps me get more water in.

Posted · Report post

I struggle with breakfast, everything is soooo boring & I have never reall been a breaky person.

Finally I have found the answer.

Bircher Muesli!

Here's my recipe for those that would like to try;

1.5 cups quick oats

Add the juice of 1- 2 lemons & either a cup of water or a cup of low fat milk.

Add a handful of cranberries & a handful of sultanas

Soak this brew in the fridge overnight

Next day add;

1 tablespoon of honey

1 - 1.5 cups of low fat yoghurt

1 handful of slivered almonds

Grated apple or pear ( 1 -2 depending on the size) cooked this for 1 minute in the microwave

1 teaspoon of cinnamon ( optional)

This can be eaten cold or heated up in the microwave & is now a staple in my fridge.

This covers a few food groups, is tasty, filling, & easy to eat.

If you want a sloppier version just adjust the milk/ water / yoghurt ratio to suit.

Enjoy!

Posted · Report post

I struggle with breakfast, everything is soooo boring & I have never reall been a breaky person.

Finally I have found the answer.

Samsara,

My Surgeon advised me not to eat breakfast if I could and the hunger would go away. I thought this was a PITA because I'd just gotten into the habit of eating breakky. So if you aren't in the habit don't start now :P

Nonny

Posted · Report post

I dont actually eat it a breakfast time, I eat when Im hungry, which is about 10.30 - 11.00 am. So no, not like I'm forcing myself to eat it ;-)

Posted · Report post

I splashed out and tried a new instant porridge - the Be Natural almond and vanilla...it has twice as much fibre than the uncle tobys porridge and is sweet and nutty

Posted · Report post

Super fast easy breakfast or snack anytime of the day.

Cup and Saucer Egg

Crack an egg into a cup and prick with a fork. Cover with a saucer and cook in the microwave for between 30 and 50 seconds, depending on your microwave. You will eventually figure out exactly how many seconds yours requires. Mine is 45.

Posted · Report post

For me spending time with my furry baby is the best pick me up ever. I'm single, my parents and my best friend live overseas so life can get a little lonely yet my spirit has been so much better since we adopted her in February. So my advice... if you don't have a furry friend, get one! She was the best nurse in those first ugly post-op weeks and her cuteness keeps me smiling no matter how grumpy I might be otherwise ;) (go on, you know you just want to tickle that tummy tongue.gif) let's just say it boils down to unconditional love... she'll never tell me I'm fat or hassle me about food, she's always there for hugs & comedy when I need it :D

254140_10150260305855016_602860015_9228759_4841530_n.jpg

Posted · Report post

A caring dietician that you feel comforable with really makes all the difference.

Posted · Report post

Your cat is gorgeous and I totally want to rub its belly! I love my cat too. She is so cute and loving.

Posted · Report post

I thought I would start a page where we can share our little tips that help us on our journeys.

My tip is to stop using plastic lapband plates, or kids plates because they are the right size and take all your meals off gorgeous plates and cups. Pull out your 'good' dinnerware or go out and buy yourself the best little plate and cup you can afford. Seeing that I only eat twice a day now, I like to make an event out of it and really enjoy my meal, even boring everyday foods seem so much more special when I eat them off Royal Doulton plates. I use my best tea-set when I have a cuppa and even just a plain old cammomile tea seems so much more inviting.

Hi there

What a great idea. I forgot that I had a full Royal Albert Old Country Roses dinner set in my china cupboard, and no I am not 80 years old. I am going to start using it for my cups of tea. How fancy!!!

Leanne

Posted · Report post

Another tip:

Carry zip lock bags in your glove box and handbag for unexpected PB's. Gross, but so handy.

Posted · Report post

Great thread Suzie, thanks for starting it :)

For me at Wk 14 post op....my tip is to allow yourself to snack if your body needs it. But snack ONLY on low calorie, high protein, low carb foods.

I was banded by the CBS and the 8 Golden Rules were drummed into me since the beginning, well they still are a big part of my daily life but there are days that I just cannot do the "only have 3 small meals a day" & "no snacking between meals". Some may think this is against the rules and not allowed, but for me.. allowing yourself to have the occaisonal snack is OK and will stop you from eating larger portions or too quickly when it comes to sit down & have your main meal.

Sarah x

Posted · Report post

Dont try to push things too far....do and eat what I feel comfortable with. That is my tip!