Grrr failed lap bandits crying sour grapes annoy me!

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I was in Myers tonight and the subject of lap banding came up with the cashier/sales lady. The next thing I know the opinionated ''big lady" standing next to me took over the conversation to tell anyone who would listen that she has a lap band and it doesn't work !!!! She said she could never tell whether she was hungry or not as she was too overweight and that the lap band didn't work. I challenged her and asked if she had fills in her band to give her more restriction and she said no it wouldn't have made any difference because she doesn't know what hunger feels like. She said when she realised that it wasn't going to work she went back to the Dr and got all her fill removed.

It really irritates me that people always like to tell you their horror stories or stories of why whatever you are doing won't work. Why can't people say something like good luck with that - my experience didn't work out - or something like that rather than sprouting to everyone and anyone that it 'just doesn't work'!!!!

I'm a believer in each to their own and while I might not agree with everyones decisions in life - I respect that they have their opinion. I don't try to push my opinion on others however I guess others are not so respectful.

Its people like this woman that attract the interest of the media and only service to give more negativity to what can otherwise be a very positive and life changing experience.

Sorry to rant but this woman really got under my skin ......

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Obviously she wasn't a member of a forum like this!! It's amazing what I've learned from members here!!

Perhaps that's why some clinics are taking a holistic approach encouraging us to be involved and see a psych and dietitian as we move along. When I looked at it a few years ago I don't recall the 'packages' that are around now.

I'm all for thinking positive and going for it. My band is going to work for me and my family!!

S

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

The woman is clearly an idiot. B)

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

The woman is clearly an idiot. B)

My thoughts exactly KJB !!!!

Posted · Report post

Some people are just BORN negitive angry.gif I seriously doubt that woman ever even gave it a chance. She'd probably decided it wasnt going to work before she'd given it even half a chance!!

Posted · Report post

Maybe she was just not ready to accept the fact that she was fat... Or more so accept that she could be what she really wants to be deep inside.... Slim! Maybe she doesn't like hard work... Maybe she just gave up.

Posted · Report post

Sounds to me like her surgeon should have slapped her face not removed her fill. What a moron

Nonny

2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I think that some of these people who are negative regarding their band experience are the ones who spent very little time researching the whole procedure and honestly were looking for a magic wand they could just wave over themselves and viola!!!! all the weight would be gone.

As we all looked into this step thoroughly before going ahead, our eyes have been opened to the fact that this is not a miracle cure for obesity but a tool to help us make the correct choices, and yes it is bloody hard. But we are not quitters and when it gets tough we post, and post, and post !!!!

In the words of Marion, I luv my band....

Posted · Report post

Never gets hungry? What a load of nonsense.

I presume that, much like myself, she is never hungry because she never stops eating!

I have an internet friend who has had a sleeve after a failed band that slipped, caused adhesions etc. I'm not going to tell her as I know she will be relentlessly negative and just waiting for me to have problems so she can say "I told you so!"

Posted · Report post

I think it basically just comes down to the fact that she didn't want to blame herself for her not losing weight. It's always easier to blame someone/something else. I'm guilty of it myself! I still stuggle to accept that it is MY FAULT I'm finding it so hard to lose weight (even with the band). The band is in there. It's doing it's job. It has the ability to be filled/unfilled. IM the one who chooses to eat the foods I do. IM the one who chooses to exercise as much as I do. As I'm writing this I'm thinking "How is it so possible and easy for me to type this out, but yet when it comes to daily life - I struggle to do what I KNOW I NEED TO DO?"....So saying that, whenever someone does do that to you, just remind yourself that they are probably only concentrating on the negatives because they can't accept the responsibilty that is required to make the band work. I do agree though that she should've wished you well in your own journey rather than just concentrating on her own experience. I have a couple of friends who also have the band, both have lost more weight than me, and each kilo that they lose, I am genuinely happy for them I congratulate them for it! If only everyone could be more like me!! ;) LOL

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Tegan your post was excellent.

It is very easy to blame other people or things etc. It is up to us! However it is so hard sometimes to be in the right frame of mind - I seem to go from season to season, summer I want to loose, winter i don't care - well this is how I used to be but the last couple of years things have started changing and I have decided life is getting shorter so i need to do something.

I have to pay for the op which if i have a sleeve is between $23000 and $25000 NZ or banding $17000 -$ 21000. I know there are really negative people out there - that is their nature and no matter what happens they look at the negative side of everything but I do wonder if that woman paid for her operation or did she get it on insurance. I have a huge reson to make what ever i choose work for my health but also cause I will have increased our mortage :( Most of our insurance companies in NZ wont cover surgery for obesity.

Tegan you will get there your frame of mind justr needs to catch up with what you want.:)

Jodie dont take any notice of these negative people they are everywhere and you don't want to be sucked in by them, they live a very sad life :)

Sue

Posted · Report post

Hi all,

If she never got hungry how come she was overweight....

Sue, I have also had to pay (18,000) for my surgery. My lovely hubby was happy to put it on the mortgage but my mum and dad (who have next to nothing to spare) gave me a loan, so I am making the most of my surgery. It doesn't mean I find it all plain sailing and I am currently going through a tough time with my band but I most certainly will not be giving up. Every time I look at my bank statement and see the repayment amount going out I am reminded that I have to make this work. I wonder if this lady followed the surgeons advice, exercise, low fat food, water etc.

Tegan, take heart. Most of us go through tough times, even with the band in place. I have 20 plus years of dreadful habits and unrealistically expected them to disappear overnight (10 months). A lot of them have but there is still some way to go.

Best wishes to all fellow bandits and keep the faith people...we will get there eventually :)

Donna

Posted · Report post

Jodie do not let people get you down in this journey.

This person seems like instead of having her fill out that she needed to see a councellor about why she was banded and how to make it work better for her. Some people think it is going to be an instant fix, but it is not until you are a couple of weeks post banding that the reality hits (in my opinion anyway). This is hard work, it need constant consideration and maintinance, and nope it is not for every one.

I agree with a previous poster that support forums such as this one are awesome in helping each other get through the tough days/weeks. Also we pay a lot of money for this to our surgens/clinics, they are there for us. If it is not feeling right they are just a phone call away. (My sugen has a nurse on call to answer any quieries and concerns, I was even in contact with her over the weekend preop). I wonder if some poeple also not realise that this support network is out there.

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys for your support and posts. You are all so uplifting and supportive. Thank goodness for this forum and my online buddies...

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

There, but for the grace of god, go I.

Enjoy your Saturday,

rolleyes.gif

Posted · Report post

she was perhaps one of these people who thinks that the band is the majic bullet and she doesn't have to put in any effort.