Sign in to follow this  
Guest Individual Girl

Eating out

Guest Icandoit

Just thought I would share my eating out getting back to normal life (for me) experiences this week.

I got asked by a friend at work to go for lunch for a catch up because I'd bee on two weeks sick leave and we went for lunch and I order a mushroom and spinach omelette. I ate some of it until I was full and left the rest. 1st success at eating out!I

We went out as a family for daughters 18th birthday for dinner in Northbridge on Friday night and I ordered an entree sized portion of Spaghetti Carbonara. I ate some it and then asked for a doggie bag to take the rest home. 2nd success at eating out!

A girlfriend I used to go to school with 30 yrs ago phone me out of the blue yesterday and asked me to catch up for lunch. We went to Coffee Club and I ordered a piece of quiche and a coffee. Left the shell of the quiche (as it was a pie type of individual portion) but ate the insides and some tomato and cucumber. 3rd success at eating out.

I'm posting these simple but huge personal achievements to demonstrate to others that you can live life fairly normally after banding - its doesn't mean you have to refuse invites to go anywhere on the spur of the moment!!!

I know after my first visit to my Dr's I will be cutting out the carbs to get my weight off and will have to choose differently next time (with the Carbonara lol!!) - but for now - these are my little non scale victories and I'm pretty wrapt with my progress so far and wanted to share it with you all.

Good on you! Shold put hubby's concerns about your social life changing to rest :)

my partner and I eat out 3-4 times a week and apart from getting fed up with club food (He loves club food - hates 'non-australian' food) I do really well!

Have you had a fill yet? I found eating out fairly easy until I started having fills. And four years on it continues to be problematic.

Eg I can't tolerate pasta, eggs, red meat, pork, wok anything, rice, tomato based sauces, pizza etc etc.

Soup is ok

Fish is ok

Desserts are ok (as long as not pastry)

Nothing fried

I'm glad you are doing well,

Well done Jodie. I hope that I do as well once I am banded.

This is great to hear as I am considering being banded and I have been worried about how normal a life you can lead. This gives me a little more confidence that you can go out without it being obvious that you have been banded.

Cheers sue

my partner and I eat out 3-4 times a week and apart from getting fed up with club food (He loves club food - hates 'non-australian' food) I do really well!

Tell him we are a nation of immigrants so there is no such thing as 'Australian food' :-)

You are doing well if you are succeeding and eating out. I have not got to that step yet and am somewhat dreading it as I suffer from menu envy!

Tell him we are a nation of immigrants so there is no such thing as 'Australian food' :-)

You are doing well if you are succeeding and eating out. I have not got to that step yet and am somewhat dreading it as I suffer from menu envy!

You'd be amazed at what is on the entree/starter menu! For years I've always been a mains and dessert girl...amazed at all the stuff I'd been missing out on!!!

S

Great to here that it is possible, there are some good suggestions on there too even if its for the short term before we get a first fill!

Thanks Jodie some great tips for me here....and well done to you!

I Agree that we are still able to eat out after banding. I went to an Indian restruant for dinner on mothers day and I had no issues (it is basicly slow cook anyway). Yet to be brave with Thai which is a favourite of ours.

I went out for a drink tonight. When I turned up everyone had been there hours and wanted to go for a curry, so you can imagine my dread (i haven't eaten out since my op, i am week 4) but I went along. I ordered a chicken satay starter and had a spoon of rice. Chewed it really well so all went down ok but I did have serious menu envy because they OVER ordered loads of different dishes and there was heaps of left-overs and it all looked and smelt sooooo good!..

Just need to get used to this new way of living because at the end of the day I didn't need to gorge on all that food to have a good time. I am happy I stuck to my small portion of which will be even smaller once I start getting fills. It is always going to be a tough transition that will take time.

Guest Icandoit

Thanks for all your comments - I guess I wasn't sure how I was going to go eating out initally so I thought maybe others might be wondering too - so that was my reason for sharing.

Yes KJB I think hubby is starting to relax a little now knowing that I can go out for meals still - and life will not change radically!!!!

No I haven't had a fill yet although I'm pretty sure my Dr did put 1ml in my band when I was banded, however my first appt is on 2 June - so after that time I will see how I go and hopefully apart from initial restriction I intend to keep going out for meals as is my lifestyle - however stay tuned and I will update everyone after that time regards what I can and can't eat.

My boyfriend is stoked because now when we go out, it either costs much less, or he gets to nibble on two different meals!

Well done Jodey. Eating out was a massive part of my life pre-band and now I have to admit I am a little anxious about it. I still do it but most of the time I have a stuck episode or feel really under pressure to eat quicker as its usually lunch on the run with a girlfriend and we want maximum time for shopping before picking the kids up from school. Its a big change having to leave a large percentage of your meal on the plate when you are still hungry. I will get used to it eventually and it is doing wonders for my weight loss. This is what we paid for isn't it.