Sindyloo

Two operations...Two bands!

My surgeon has only told me this week that to go from 145kg to 75kg

I would need Two operations,two lap bands!...

I can afford the first operation but not the second at this point.

My high went to a low very fast :(

Has anyone experienced this or had to endure two operations?

Sindyloo

That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. Why would you possibly need two? You only have one stomach.

That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard. Why would you possibly need two? You only have one stomach.

He said that half way through my weight loss I will need another band

because I am 145kg now and my goal weight is 75kg....I have my first operation in August :(

I've not heard of anyone having two bands. I'd be keen to know why!

S

I have never heard of this myself..

I have had 2 operations, but that was because the first time they fitted one of the smaller band (5 ml I think?) and it was choking me and twisting around, so they took it out and fitted the 10ml band.

It's not easy going through all this twice, but if it's what it takes to get the result we want then I guess it will be worth it

still, I have never heard of needing a replacement half way (I mean unless there was a complication).

Guest Icandoit

Is it worth getting a second opinion because I've never heard of that before and my dr said if I needed another op to fix/repair or whatever it would all be covered under the initial cost.... I wonder at your dr's motives for making money out of you to offer this as it sounds strange to me.... just my thoughts tho...

That sounds incredibly weird. I too would suggest getting a second opinion

Is it worth getting a second opinion because I've never heard of that before and my dr said if I needed another op to fix/repair or whatever it would all be covered under the initial cost.... I wonder at your dr's motives for making money out of you to offer this as it sounds strange to me.... just my thoughts tho...

I totally agree with you Jodie, I think the doctor is just trying to get more money out of this.

My Doctor is Dr Petru he says that I will not loose enough weight just on one band....I am so very confused and would have to travel to get a second opinon,but thinking that I might just do that...

How many fills can you have per band and how often does this usually occur?

Thanks..

I've not heard of anyone having two bands. I'd be keen to know why!

S

He said it was because I have so much weight to loose.

I need to loose around 70 kg and told me that I can not do that on one band...:(

He said it was because I have so much weight to loose.

I need to loose around 70 kg and told me that I can not do that on one band...:(

I have just recently been banded & I weighed in @ 180kg. Only one band required for me to lose weight.

My god that is the stupi

My Doctor is Dr Petru he says that I will not loose enough weight just on one band....I am so very confused and would have to travel to get a second opinon,but thinking that I might just do that...

How many fills can you have per band and how often does this usually occur?

Thanks..

Maybe it has less to do about the weight and more to do about the $$$ i would ring around if i was you and see some other doctors i am seeing my surgeon on monday i will ask for you but i have never heard of anything like it there is plenty of people on here that has started at a higher weight than you maybe they are more qualified to comment .

Good luck with it all

xoxoxrolleyes.gif

I agree with everyone else, get a 2nd opinion.

Reading other members posts and looking at their starting weights, NO ONE has mentioned a second band unless it has been by misfortune.

Your fills depend on how long it takes to get to the right spot, tight enough to take the hunger away but not so as you can't eat anything. With me it took 3mls + 3 x .5mlsl until I felt good.

The idea of the fills were the most confusing until I had surgery - you will 'get it' once it is happening to you and your body too.

Sounds like a money making venture.

Everything I have read from others, and experienced myself first-hand, is that if there are complications from the first band, if you need a new port or even a new band, the surgeon will cover this cost at no cost to you outside your private health fund.

Did the doctor say you would be required to pay for the second one?

Doesn't sound like the doctor is overly confident in the procedure being successful at all, has he/she been doing bariatric surgery for very long???

My friend had this done!!!

Apparently her stomach was quite stretched and large so initially she had a big band, as she was loosing weight and got to around 120kilos her band was completely filled and nothing was happening weight wise or food wise, she could still eat normally so she had to go under and get a small band. Its rare to have your stomach stretched so much I hear, but it is possible. But a second opinion wont hurt.

Guest XandersMummy

There are ppl on there that have lost 100kgs on just one band... I think your doc has no idea what he is talking about.

Sounds like a money making venture.

Everything I have read from others, and experienced myself first-hand, is that if there are complications from the first band, if you need a new port or even a new band, the surgeon will cover this cost at no cost to you outside your private health fund.

Did the doctor say you would be required to pay for the second one?

Doesn't sound like the doctor is overly confident in the procedure being successful at all, has he/she been doing bariatric surgery for very long???

Hi,

Yes I will have to pay for the second one.

I am looking now at a second opinion...

Just not sure which town to look in at this stage.

Sindyloo

Wowsers how strange.. unfortunate that you would have to travel to get another opinion but I really think you need one.

Guest XandersMummy

My friend had this done!!!

Apparently her stomach was quite stretched and large so initially she had a big band, as she was loosing weight and got to around 120kilos her band was completely filled and nothing was happening weight wise or food wise, she could still eat normally so she had to go under and get a small band. Its rare to have your stomach stretched so much I hear, but it is possible. But a second opinion wont hurt.

yes but no surgeon would make you pay twice, and certainly not have 2 bands in at the same time!

My doc said anything that goes wrong with the band or if it needed to be replaced or if i dont want it in anymore - NO charge!

I dont think this doc has explained properly why he said you need 2 bands, seeing you are so confused - i am confused also ! I think its worth travelling for a second oppinion, you dont want something to go wrong!

Oh Dear

ive never heard this before you should only need 1 band not two. Doesn't matter how much you have to lose, I think you really need to see another doctor i Know all a different but this just doen't sound right at all and remember the usual band last roughly 15 years so something is wrong good luck love hope you work this out..

Guest Icandoit

I have just recently been banded & I weighed in @ 180kg. Only one band required for me to lose weight.

Hi Sindyloo

DEFINITELY get another opinion, because I had coffee with some other bandits this morning and one of the girls has lost 62kg with a 10ml band and has another 25kg to lose - all still with the one band - so it definitely sounds like this dr either doesn't know enough about banding or is out to make extra $$$$ at your expense.

Please don't put yourself through two operations if you don't have to. My dr has charged me the one fee for putting the band in and told me if I need further surgery for problems with the band or port twisting or whatever - that I will not have to pay anything further - so your dr's advice to you just does not make sense and definitely sounds suspicious of ulterior motives (ie. him making more money out of you !!!)

I would definately be getting a second opinion, I was originally banded in 2008 and have lost 75kg. I had my second band in last week due to the first band slipping, not because I had lost too much weight with the band

hmmm i agree with everyone that has added comments , i weighed 127.6 kilos at start weight and got down to 68 kilos before getting pregnant and had no issues with the band at all, with the weight loss ,

since then different story..

i would be certainly getting second oponion

I weigh 170kg and my dr hasnt said a thing abt being banded twice. Have u gotten the 2nd opinion yet?

I weigh 170kg and my dr hasnt said a thing abt being banded twice. Have u gotten the 2nd opinion yet?

Hi,

I have not got a second opinion as yet...

I live an hour away from the main town and there is only one doctor there who does it.

If I travel to get it done and something goes wrong I will have to travel for treatment and for fills.

Just not sure what to do at this point...

very confused...

Sindyloo