Sindyloo

Two operations...Two bands!

hmmm i agree with everyone that has added comments , i weighed 127.6 kilos at start weight and got down to 68 kilos before getting pregnant and had no issues with the band at all, with the weight loss ,

since then different story..

i would be certainly getting second oponion

Hi,

Do you know what size band was used?

Is there two sizes?

Sindyloo

I would definately be getting a second opinion, I was originally banded in 2008 and have lost 75kg. I had my second band in last week due to the first band slipping, not because I had lost too much weight with the band

Hello,

Did you have to pay for the recent procedure?

Sindyloo

Yes, I did have to pay, I was initially banded as a public patient, and have since taken out private cover. To go private it was more secure with my date being guaranteed and being able to get the op sooner.

Also, my original surgeon has retired, so I have a new Doc.

These bands are made to last ya life time. the only reason people get them out is if they slip or move etc, i started at 125kgs and you only need one band. i think your doc is a liar.. get a second opinion for sure.

weight loss to the day: 13kgs yay :)

I work for a surgeon that does bands and we have never heard of this, does he mean band to sleeve maybe ?

But we have patients that have lost over 100 kilos with the band and still have their original one in.

I work for a surgeon that does bands and we have never heard of this, does he mean band to sleeve maybe ?

But we have patients that have lost over 100 kilos with the band and still have their original one in.

Hi,

No he actually means two bands,however I have had to put my op off due to getting a second opinion on the 1st of September.

Thanks for your reply.

Sindyloo ;)

This sounds incredibly odd and I agree with most on here that it sounds like your doc is trying to get as much money out of you as possible. I know of alot of ppl who have lost a considerable amount of weight on one band only. I started off at 152.4 kgs and was told I would only need one band. Best of luck with your second opinion.

i have never heard of this either. maybe he didnt explain himself fully, i find sometimes dr's never really explain things fully cause they expect you to know???? but anyway i have lost over 85kg with my band and i am very happy. i did have my band replaced 4 months after banding but this was due to a leak. my best friend has had her band replaced too but due to a slip. i know that some people are not reaching their goal weight with their bands and are changing to the sleeve op but i have only heard of this overseas. i would def travel to get a second opinion about this. there are quite a few bandits that have to travel for fills too and are ok. when you put it into prospective i would rather travel than get it done by someone closer but not trust them. good luck with your second opinion and i am sure you will find it worth while. also just a quick mention that over our lifetime we can expect the band to be replaced at least once as they could deteriorate, well this is what my surgeon has told me anyway.

denise