Sign in to follow this  
Snooze

Lap banding in the public health system in Tasmania

Hi Does anyone know how I can go about getting a lapband in the public system , I have chronic arthritis and have had a knee replacement - twice!, I live on pain killers and havent had a nights sleep in about 6 years, any info would be great

Have you contacted any of the clinics or surgeons that work in Tassie??

S

Hi Snooze, sorry to hear you've had some trouble with your knees - I know how it feels :( Are you aware that it can take many years to be called up on the public list?, I've heard of people waiting 5-6 years and even then your date can be rescheduled when ever they see fit. Its not fair really :S Although it's not a financially suitable for everyone health insurance will be your best bet! You only have to wait 1year max ! worth thinking about ... I had to make the same decision when I was deciding what road to take, I'm very happy I chose PHI as I only have 4 months longer to wait until I have my op. It goes verrrry quick ;) goodluck!

This is my Tassie experience, I first bought the lapband option up with my GP, he wrote a letter to the surgeon, had an appt then didn't hear anything for ages, apart from the hospital sending out the usual "do you still want/require this surgery? Eventually I went back to my GP and he wrote another letter, then had another appt with the surgeon, he put me in category one but it still took another 3 years, all up 7 years :But apart from the usual ailments that come with being overweight I had no other medical condition, maybe you will have better luck. I do know that a man who lives in my same town had chronic back problems and he had his op done with 6 months and that was on the public system, so everyone's different. good luck, if you can afford the option of Private Cover then it's by far the best option.

Hi Does anyone know how I can go about getting a lapband in the public system , I have chronic arthritis and have had a knee replacement - twice!, I live on pain killers and havent had a nights sleep in about 6 years, any info would be great

a friend of mine in Launceston has other medical problems(loopis however you spell it being one) and she waited 18 months. she had to see a dietician and have a full psych evaluation before the surgeon would do it. apparently thats the process when going witht he public system....but your gp is first port of call for a referal