Beth

What a difference 1mL can make!

Hi everyone,

I got my third fill on Thursday so I now have 5mL in my 10mL band. Still plenty of space for more, but I can't believe how much more restriction I have with this one mL!

My question is, does it happen everytime with fills, that you need to re-learn all your foods? Because previously I've been able to eat much the same kinds of foods, just in smaller portions, but I am finding out that even with one extra mL in, I am now not able to drink fluids as quickly or swallow pills the same as before.

I have type 1 diabetes, and last night I woke up low, so I got up to treat it with a mushy cookie and a glass of milk at 1am...

Let's just say I have never had such a bad stuck episode before!! It was a bit scary because after it got stuck I spent 15 minutes dislodging the offending blockage, and was scared my low blood sugars could cause me to crash - worried I wouldn't be able to keep anything down after being stuck.

I know things change with each fill, but it just seems so drastic, having only gone up 1mL to have such huge restriction now!

Yep, I had all sorts of stuck moments after getting the last .5ml in my band, absent mindley swallow 2 panadol at once was just one senario.Chicken, pork and sausage (I know shouldn't eat them) have all offended.

At present i have 4.5 in a 7ml band, I will only go up .1ml from here, but I found that I'm not hungry at all during the day, but have to choose my dinners wisely.

This being said the scales are stuck! Its annoying as for the past 3 weeks I have been at the gym 6 times per week and eating MUCH less than pre banding

Sounds so scary Beth. I can only imagine how frightnening that woulda been. Have you ever thought of getting a pump? My bf has 3 boys and her oldest and youngest BOTH have type 1. Both boys are on a pump and it make life soooooo much easier for them.

x

Julie I have considered the pump, quite a bit actually. I just feel in the long run the pens seem to fit better with my lifestyle. Plus my main objection to the pump is having to find a place to stash it on my body!! (My boobs definitely aren't big enough to hold it in between. hehe)

The pens work. Since being banded I'm down to half the doses I previous took, and am on 2 less injections a day thanks to my immunity to needing breakfast. A sugar free cuppa tea does it - rarely need insulin to counter it :)

I think maybe when I have kids I will consider getting the pump, because who has time to inject with little ones around? lol.

Hey, how are you? How did the op go??

your fill should take about a week or two to settle in properly, but yes you have to re-learn all your foods again... x

• Like 1

I feel your pain. I had a horrendous week with a new fill. I had to return to my Doctor twice to have some taken out. I couldnt swallow my own saliva and it was scary. I can only imagine how it would be so scary if you have other issues you need to consider like your diabetes.

Beth would it be better to use juice or coke or jelly beans to help instead of cookies and milk? I dont know much about Diabetes, but knew a teacher that used to use those for when she needed sugar...

• Like 1

What about trying a spoonful of honey or jam instead of a biscuit or a glass of cordial. Atleast it'll be easy to swallow and you dont have to worry about it getting stuck on its way down ... plus itll treat your hypo's.

I usually use juice, but we didn't have any in the house. I should have used honey or something similar but after being on liquids for a couple of days I think I just wanted a cookie, to be honest. Totally self inflicted!!

Xandersmummy, all chewy lollies are out for me - my first real stuck episode was with a jelly bean. Plus I'm not gonna lie, it's a huge psychological thing - I just remember being force fed jellybeans as a kid with hypos.. now whenever they're around I get all stressed out. Lame huh!!

KayJayBee - overfilled is my biggest fear, I'm so glad you got it fixed!! I hope you're feeling ok. xx

Thanks all for the advise. I may just have to start keeping juice in the cupboard so my boyfriend doesn't drink my hypo stash!!

heya beth,

i just stocked up on juice for my hypos.

also in the supermarket/muslie bar section there are these fruit tubes toy story and they are natural juice and very sweet they cold help as well.

Hi there

I also have 5mls in a ten ml band eith my last fill cannot seem to eat anything only soup. I can also hear everything as it is going down. I have not told any one at.work so feel embarrassed when my body makes is on noises. I have lost 16kgs since being banded in Marchx

a friend used glucose lollie type tings...they were like the same consistency of tums or quickeze and just crumbled in the mouth...

Hi there

I also have 5mls in a ten ml band eith my last fill cannot seem to eat anything only soup. I can also hear everything as it is going down. I have not told any one at.work so feel embarrassed when my body makes is on noises. I have lost 16kgs since being banded in Marchx

Omg, YES!! I can hear everything too!! And each time it passes through the band I hear like a gurgling sound. It is VERY strange. Although one thing I'm enjoying is no more trucker burps!! I used to burp all the time before this fill, now I only burp tiny little burps after a fizzy drink. My other burps would last for like 15 seconds and were impossible to disguise!

It's very weird.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I guess having been diabetic for so long I've stopped looking for new ways to treat hypos. I think if I'm honest with myself, I enjoy the excuse to indulge in sugar when I do go low. This is something i need to work on for sure!