Sign in to follow this  
cairns

Has anyone had the same experience

Has anyone had a similar experience? I am wondering if my band is too tight? I have been experiencing reflux and vomitting although not all the time! I recently had an adjustment which brings my fluid up to 6ml. The Dr suggested I add more as I had one month where I did not lose any weight and up until then I have been averaging about 3.5 kilos per month since I was banded about 5months ago - however I have read that poor weight loss can also come from your band being too tight along with the discomfort etc. I am confused as I am not sure if its me or the band? I have got to the point after my last two adjustments where I am scared to eat certain things as i do not want to vomit. I am losing weight again however just not as happy as I was 2 adjustments ago. Clapham is away so I have to either wait for him to get back or go to Dr Turner at Raintrees medical centre who apprantely does adjustments.

I also would tell you to go back to your doctor and get some fill taken out, i was where you are right now two weeks ago where i had reflux heaps worse (i would have to wake up during the night and have to throw it up to get rid of it) and i booked in to see my doctor and he took most of the fill out to allow myself to heal and now i feel so much beeter, he told me i should have gone to see him earlier. I am now booked in to have a barium swallow to make sure everything is alright in there on the 31st August and if all ok then the swallow will also determine how much fill can be put back in.

So go straight back to your doctor, symptoms of reflux is not good.

Just been to the dr's and had .50 taken out which were my last to fills so hopefully will all be ok now - thanks!

A question for anyone - what has been your average weight loss per month?

Hi - good you got some out. I was in same boat a few months ago - up to 6.7 in my band and then I had reflux. vomiting at night etc. Stupidly I didnt see doc straight away cos he had said "when the fill first in it's a bit tighter and also when you have your period", I got my period the day after so thought maybe the period plus recent fill caused it and so I waited - but I felt shocking. By the time I went back it was very bad. DOc told me shoudl have come back sooner. He took more out to allow for swelling to go down.

Since recent replacement port put in and bit of recovery time I have had 5ml in - he offered to do 6ml but I was so scared of overfill again I said no no just 5 please! In 5 weeks I go back and may try for 5.5 but I have decided to be a little under instead of over as it was so horrible!

My doc wants his people to lose between 2-4 kilos per month with 3 per month ideal (ie .75 of one kilo each week). I have been doing this and am exactly on track. SOme people lose a lot more but that has been ideal for me. He said that is good for your body - it doesnt go into shock or starvation mode because of extreme rapid weight loss. Also when done this slowly with exercise it should decrease the amount of flab as the flab has a chance to slowly decrease with exercise (this is less likely with us older fatter for longer folks though!). PLUS as I have only told 3 people excl doctors in the whole world the rest of the world sees me doing this very slowly plus exercise and it all seems normal and natural and no awkward qns.

Your doc may say differently but this is what my doc says.

can i ask what your daily food intake is ? now and before your last fill.

can't remember my calories off my Calorie King - which i do for a week or so every now and then (but originally did daily for months), but it is from memory around 1000 does that sound right? (seemed impossible to get under 1500 when I started, now easy).

Usually no breakfast, one coffee with skim milk and one sugar and one glass water

no snack, somtimes one more coffee or a juice

lunch - usually one of these: little mini tin of baked beans or a cup of soup something chunky like minastrone or a piece of fruit

mid-afternoon - sometimes - depending on where working and what's happening - may have 2 biscuits or one more bit of fruit

dinner - whatever we as a family are having but on a side plate and no potato or pasta or tinies portion only. no drink

before bed a warm drink or sometimes two

weekends the same except brekky mid morn is usually same as family in smaller portion - so scrambled eggs or sometimes pancakes and then no lunch.

I am not virtuous with food nor do i have any willpower - it is simply my appetite just isnt there plus experience many many times trying things that dont go down has taught me to avoid them.

I routinely tell my doc (he asks) about my food intake and he says it is fine. Dietician said it was fine "but make sure you dont use butter in your scrambled eggs" well pardon me but I do use a dob of butter!!

Look at the thread called "what do you eat" or "what do you have in one day" for many people's daily menu - some is even smaller!

That just seems so little actual food

If you cut out the drinks, its:

a little mini tin of baked beans OR a cup of soup OR a piece of fruit

2 biscuits OR one more bit of fruit

dinner - whatever we as a family are having but on a side plate and no potato or pasta

If that's all you can eat if you want to lose weight, no wonder most people fail without surgery.

Oh yeah it's true Kato. When I first read the "what I eat" thread espec from Princess who lost about 88 kilos I could not believe the tiny tiny portions of food I was reading, however now I can believe it as I experience it myself.

My doc (who I really like and respect) told me waaaay back in initial consult that we (modern people) just eat soooo much more than humans need to. People can really get by and flourish with about 1/4 or in some cases 1/10th of what most people eat - it is just too much food compared to what we put out. ie ok if a very physical person but not for most of us. He explained what a typical day of food should be and I was stunned. He told me and has repeated this - if you get hungry you should cut one normal sized apple into 8 pieces and eat 1/8 of it. That should be enough (so no whole packets of timtams then...!)

The thing is that with the right restriction you just are not hungry and the tiniest thing satisfies you. Even after doing a lot of exercise I dont feel hungry. PS He also told me (I started at 152 kilos and 55 BMI) that I could "live off my own fat" for many many months!

It really is a shock to your system when you realize how little food you will eat with a band.

But once you get used to it and start eating the smart foods which fuel your body/energy rather than just eating crap that takes up space and has minimal nutritional value to your body, you start to realize how massively unhealthy most people's portion sizes are.

I try not to judge my boyfriend's portion sizes, but I have definitely become much more aware of feeding them too much. Our whole family's portion sizes have drastically reduced since I got banded. Mainly because I cook and dish it up, but also because my family is becoming much more conscious of how much food they're taking in unnecessarily.

I feel much better having the small bandit portion sized meals. I enjoy the flavours soo much more and really feel satisfied after every meal, instead of bloated and full like I used to.

so worth it - i lost my mum way too young (cancer) and if I can do what I can to reduce the chance of not being there for my little boy I will do it.

see the diff - well worth it.

post-1744-0-01806800-1313573347_thumb.jp

vs

post-1744-0-89085400-1313573418_thumb.jp

• Like 1

hey stripey looking hot and doing so well, i agree it first amazed me how little food we actually need to consume not only to loose weight but to maintain our bodies with everyday life. i exercise heavily and still don't need a lot of food, i do substitute my lack of food intake with vitamins and powders but hey i dont care if this is what it takes to be "normal" then so be it. i still go to my dietician every 6 weeks and have regular blood tests and all is good. it just goes to show that we as a society are consuming way too much, what hope do the future generation have if they are being raised to eat this way but also food company's are pushing unhealthy, large portion servings as the norm, anyway i will hop down off my soap box now lol.

Cairns i know how you feel as i too need a top up but Dr Clapham is away for awhile boohoo, how dare he go away from me. you were defiantly in the red zone too as i just went through this myself but clampham took out 1.5ml to teach me a lesson cause i knew better, which i did.he put .75ml back in before he went away but i will still need another fill of .3ml. as time goes on you will become used to your band and able to read/feel what is right for you. i just instinctively know what is going on with my band and body, you will become sync between the two. if i ever got my band taken out it would be a shock to the system both physically and mentally. can i ask who you went and saw to get some fill taken out as i have heard of this mythical dr watson at manunda but never been able to find him and he would be a great back up just in case, if you know what i mean. if you are interested in meeting for a coffee that would be great, i meet heaps of banders for coffee as they like to pick my brain. but other wise good luck with your journey and keep us up to date how you are going

denise

Hi Denise

I feel so much better after having some taken out - Dr Clapham's office office referred me to two different doctors that do adjustments one is Dr Turner at Raintreens Medical Centre and the other was Dr Haugh at McCleod Medical Centre - I went to Dr Haugh he was really sweet he could find my porthole at first but we got there. I was really nervous about going to another docotor as I feel the same how dare Clapham go away! but now i feel great knowing that there is a back up.

yeah that would be great I have to admit I have been keeping to myself since my banding however after the last few weeks I was so confused thats when I found this website and have to say I have learned more in the last week reading everyones comments.

that's great cairns thank you. if you private message me then we can arrange a day, time and place to meet or we can exchange phone numbers if you are comfortable with this.

denise