Lilly

Anyone had a band for MORE than 7-8 years??

Hiya!

port flipped, band slipped etc etc.... Im going in to sugery again next week to have it fixed.. again. This time, I might have to have TWO surgeries because its slipped so badly, my stomach might be a bit of a mess. (not from over eating, btw - the stomach has moved UP through the band).

Ive only had my band for three years now - out of that three years its only actually worked for about 6-7 months because of the complications.

Im starting to wonder if its worth it. Actually, I know its not. I could have done better in terms of weight loss myself in that time period by just going on diets without the increased risk of all these surgeries.

So, thinking about having it removed completely next week... not sure I want to another two surgeries... even after that, how do i know the band isnt going to slip/port flip a few weeks after this surgery again? i dont.

Has anyone here actually had the band a long time, like more than several years? (not really looking for people who have heard of others having it a long time, but who have actually had it a long time themselves).

I really havent found many who have had it a long time and still have it - everyone i know has had it for more than 5-6 years has had removed or serious problems with it.

Would like to hear some positive LONG TERM band stories!! (preferably not just one!)

Thanks

Lilly

14.5 years here, had new one put on in june do to really bad reflux, hiatus hernia and pouch

No regrets whatsoever

I too have had my band for over 14 years and have never regretted it for one day. I too had it revised/replaced in June this year (snap) for ... hiatus hernia and pouch! That must be a fairly common problem.

I know that when you first have a band fitted that you are soooooo looking forward to losing lots of weight fast but I really beleive the secret is to just settle in for the long haul. This is very much a long term proposition and if you concentrate on becoming fit and well and strong, mentally, physically and emotionally, with the help of the band, the weight will take care of it's self permanently.

Sorry if this is off topic - I've only had my band for 7.5 years and just had an unfill due to severe reflux and the band had slipped - when you talk about your pouch, do you mean the top part of the stomach has stretched over time or has the band slipped?? And did you put on any weight before your revision surgery??

Hi Chantilly

I think that we are talking about the same type of thing.

It seems difficult for the surgeon to determine whether the band slipps down or the part of the stomach above the band is stretched , maybe by over-eating or by eating too quickly.... whatever the reason, there is too much stomach above the band and yes, I gained weight when this happened to me.

Sophee

This is a great thread ... its asking things I have been wondering lately. I am 1 year post op - I havent lost much weight at all but i havent put any back on either, I know (Thx Carmen) that I should have gone in for fills and revision more often. When I got a letter stating I need the one year check up I paniced ... then when I called they said oh its routine, but from 2 years on you need blood tests etc I started thinking ... why? WHat are they looking for? what are the risk factors post 2 years? How long will this last? Will it ever work? (or will I ever have the ability to make it work) so thanks for the thread.

Izzy, I believe the blood tests are looking for things like vitamin and nutritional deficiencies that can result from a very restriced diet.

At about 2 years post opIi was found to be iron deficient. My surgeon recommended some little pils for a couple of months and that fixed the problem.

I am glad that you have found this thread valuable, maybe some others have too. B)

This is a great thread ... its asking things I have been wondering lately. I am 1 year post op - I havent lost much weight at all but i havent put any back on either, I know (Thx Carmen) that I should have gone in for fills and revision more often. When I got a letter stating I need the one year check up I paniced ... then when I called they said oh its routine, but from 2 years on you need blood tests etc I started thinking ... why? WHat are they looking for? what are the risk factors post 2 years? How long will this last? Will it ever work? (or will I ever have the ability to make it work) so thanks for the thread.

Izzy, just wondering - do you or does your surgeon/doctor know why you havent lost much weight in 12 months? Yes, it is good you havent put any on, but I was wondering if you'd struggled in some way, eg. still always hungry?