tuffy

Hello Tasmanians!

Just an attempt to get some good Tassie support together, the other states seem to be doing a good job of it!

I'm in Hobart and have my first appt with Dr Pat on Thursday :D can't wait to make a start!

Anyone else out there been banded with Dr Pat? I'd love some feedback!

tuffy x

hehe, it might just be you and me Courts!! :)

Hi Courts,

I'm v excited! I got a call today to confirm my appointment tomorrow (1.45) eeeeee! Should I be THIS excited!?

tuffy x

• Like 1

Not long now till your appt!!

Its great that your excited, I hope he can get the surgery booked quickly for you!

My nerves are starting to kick in now, my op's next tuesday and I am starting to stress about the recovery time. I have read a few posts on here that your not meant to do any lifting for about 2 weeks....thats impossible with my little girl, she is going through such a clingy phase and wants to be picked up and cuddled constantly, so I am struggling with the concept of not being able to do that.

Please let me know how you go with Tony, I will have my fingers crossed that it all happens quickly for you

courts

x

Hi Courts,

It went really well! I'm one of the 'lighter' patients he's had (seems like he rarely gets someone under 100kg) but it puts me in good stead for less liklihood of complications. So basically, I need to fill out some paperwork and he will fit me in ANYTIME from this coming Monday!!!! Very excited!!

I wasn't nervous at all, but there was a lady in the waiting rooms who was in a lot of pain (migh not even be band related) and had to go upto a ward, the poor thing she looked very upset :(

There was another girl there too who I think was in for a first appt and she was asking her friend a lot of questions, (I didn't earwig, I just got the jist of things) she seemed so nervous and I just wanted to go come and join us on the forum!!!

So yes, Tony was wonderful. He said the funniest thing when talking about liquid calories and things like "little brown cows become big fat brown cows for a reason" I actually SNORTED laughing. I don't think I was meant to do that!

Have you had to do optifast? I won't have to by the looks of things. You poor thing with your little girl, It's hard to know how we will go movement wise. When I asked about time off I asked is a week enough and he said "you can have a wekk if you want! I'm happy to write that up for your employer" so the impression I got was that I would be pretty okay, fairly quickly. That said I don't have a little one pulling at my heartstrings! Hopefully after a couple of days you'll be able to at least squat down to her level for cuddles.

It's natural to be nervous before surgery, but we're both going to be so healthy & happy this time next year!!!:lol:

tuffy x

That is fantastic news Tuffy! I am so glad he can get you in so fast. When do you think you will look at getting it done?

It sounds like he makes his patients feel very comfortable, which is great. That is so funny that you snorted laughing :)

I guess the recovery time completely depends on the individual, and I assume that they give general timelines to cover themselves more than anything. Its like people I know who have had a c-section, they are told not to do lifting or even driving for 6 weeks, but they all do and they are all fine.

My partner has a few days off (because of show day) so he is actually going to take Molly (our little girl) up to his parents farm for a few days so I can have complete rest, after that my mum is on holidays, so I will have plenty of support if its needed.

Dr Wilkinson didn't mention anything about the Optifast, but I have seen on here nearly everyone is doing it, do you think it has something to do with starting weight?

Your exactly right, this time next year we won't know ourselves! And on a completely superficial note we will be wearing gorgeous summer clothes lol

courts

x

Hi, I was banded by Tony on the 13th Sept, he is great! Makes you feel really at ease, still early days for me but going well, go for first fill next friday and I cant wait, even though the weight is still slowly coming off. I can eat pretty much anything now, just small amounts.

I didnt have to do optifast, which i was happy about, been there done that!!

Good luck to you guys with your surgery, I was soooo nervous but it has been well worth it!

Claire:)

• Like 1

Welcome Claire! I really like Dr Pat too - did he use the little brown cow line on you too? I wish I could remember exactly what it was!

Courts, sounds like you'll have some nice quiet recovery time. Little Molly will want lots of cuddles when she gets home though, you'll need to brace yourself!!

Sounds like we're all getting it 'easy' not having to do the Optifast! How much weight do you guys have to lose (If you don't mind me asking?) He has told me that he'll accept 30 kilos for me, but thinks that I should aim for more (and I completely agree!) I am 97 :huh: now, so I think ideally would like to get to the 60 kilo mark so will aim for 40 kilos. I remember when I was 65 kilos (ten years ago) and was an easy size 12, wanting to lose 5 kilos to get into a 10 (I never did it) Oh how I wish my past selp had of have the willpower!! aaaanyway, he told me that I could do that in a year (if I don't behave like a big fat brown cow!!:lol: )

thanks for joining in Claire, it's a bit tough getting tasmanians together we've discovered!!

tuffy x

• Like 1

Hi Guys, was banded by Dr Tony on 16 August. Had really bad first week with a lot of pain, but all fine now. No optifast for me either. First fill 3 weeks ago, go back again next week. Havnt noticed any restriction yet. Only thing i have had problems eating is bread and toast. From what i read, most people dont until 3rd or 4th fill. So far lost about 11kg. Best wishes......

• Like 1

Hi girls,

Great to have some more Tassie people to talk to!

Shelley 11 kgs is fantastic, well done! Did you lose much of that during the liquid stage?

I am starting to get really nervous Claire, but I just have to keep reminding myself that it will all be worth it!

Tuffy, I am hovering around the 100 kg mark so ideally I would love to get to about late 50's / early 60's. One of my goals is to be a size 12 though, I haven't been a size 12 since I was a teenager, so I would love to get there. In saying all of that though, even a 20 kilo loss would make a huge difference to my health and my confidence!

I noticed in one of the other threads you were talking about your shop, do you mind if I ask what it is?

Hi, my starting weight was 96 kg now down to 86,most of that in the first 2 weeks for me, my goal is 60kg, being that i am short at only 152cm, I could go a bit lower, but I will be rapt at 60!! I dont ever remember being anything lower than 75, which was about 3 years ago, when i did tony ferguson, then stopped and piled it all back on and more! heading for first fill next thurday now YAY!!

No, no cow story for us lol!

My hubby was banded the same day as me and started out with lots of pain, but has settled now and he is doing well also.

my gosh, that first couple of weeks sounds really inspiring!! (well worth the challenge!!)

Claire, Dr Pat told me on Thurs he can fit me in as soon as it suits me, but I need to wait for some paperwork through the mail (I was pestering the poor reception lady for it while I was there, but didn't get me anywhere! I'm just wondering in that paperwork, does it have his recommendations for the liquid/mushie stage? Reason I ask is that he said he'd discuss those things at hospital after the procedure BUT he doesn't realise what a total space cadet I am with GA!:blink: I'm a control freak, I just want to have all my stuff ready (and I want to know what he's posting me!!!) You are really lucky to be doing this with our hubby, the support must be wonderful! My partner is from a large family, and in denial about his growing tummy. It'll make my journey interesting!!:huh:

HI Shelly! Have you watched the youtube 8 golden rules? I'm not actually a bread eater so I don't remember exactly what he said but I have a feeling with a band we're not meant to go there because they're a 'sticky' food? That said I haven't got to that stage with Dr Pat yet - what has he said out of interest?

2 days to go Courts!!! Are you having a 'last supper' this weekend? How're you feeling? Got your de-gas, hot water bottles, soluble panadol all in the cupboard in the ready? I bought all 3 seasons of the Gruen Transfer in anticipation of a lazy couch week post op!! (I PM-ed you my shop details :) )

tuffy x

• Like 1

Hey Tuffy

yeah we had to do liquid for 2 weeks, 2 weeks mushy,then 2 weekscasserole type foods -well cooked soft food- but we were so over each stage and couldnt wait to move on so didnt quite make each stage for the 2 weeks, but took it easy and chewed really well, can pretty much eat anything now though, my hubby moved on quicker than me but also has a larger band than i do, so has managed to get things down well. I am staying away from rice, bread but everything else is fine,

good luck with your op, the first two weeks are hard, but i feel wonderful now, I have noticed such a difference in soooo many ways, we are both soo much more patient, we laugh a lot more and just feeling great! I think its because we arent loaded with bad food anymore, I dont know!!

Claire

yep only 2 days to go and I am starting to get quite nervous! I know I am doing the right thing, its just my silly head getting the better of me again lol

Whenever my nerves kick in too bad though I have been looking at before and after pics on Youtube of banding patients, its all the inspiration I need.

This morning I looked in the mirror and said to myself "You will never look this way again"...it was quite an "ahh" moment

I am doing my stocking up of recovery items tomorrow, Blockbuster is on the list to get a few box sets to see me through the "resting stage" :)

To be honest I have had a few "last suppers" over the last week, its my way of mentally getting through the four weeks of liquids I have coming up lol. Tomorrow night though I am having a big roast meal with all the trimmings, just love my roast vegies. I am starting to wish I had of gone to see Dr Pat, seeing as you guys only have to do the 2 weeks liquid etc as opposed to the 4 that Dr Wilk suggests.

• Like 2

Just wanted to jump in and say Hi!

I am hoping to get banded early next year, waiting for health cover to kick in mainly. I am thinking Dr Tony as I have heard only good things!

Can anyone answer a few questions for me?

Like how much were your Anaesthetist fee's? What were your costs all up, I have private cover, so just wanted to get a general idea.

Also can any one tell me what happens if we have a problem with the band that requires surgery ... will we have to pay all the same costs again? if we need a new band are covered completely or will we have start all over again (cost wise)

Sorry for all the questions, My initial app wont be till January so just hoping to work out some sums now :P

Cheers

Hey Courts,

ONE DAY!! Do you really have to do 4 weeks of liquids? Then 2 of Mushies? Woah! That said, I'd do anything a surgeon says, having looked at all the you tube videos and stuff, you want to do everything you can to make it heal. I still love Prof. O'Brians 8 Golden Rules the best - he says a glass of wine a night is fine!! I'm lucky to have 1 every third night, but it'll be a nice little 'normality' with some of the restrictions we have.

Are you staying overnight Court? I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and waiting for an update :)

Welcom Seven! I can't give you any idea on costs I'm afraid, I don't have private health so am paying for eveything myself, so far which has just been my Dr appt to get referral & first appt with Dr Pat. Not having private health IS a bit of a gamble, if anything goes wrong as the costs would be very much the same I assume. I think I'll be looking at the $15K mark, before anything comes back from Medicare - that said the majority of that is the hospital bed!

Claire, I LOVE hearing you so positive about the change!! It makes me so sure I'm absolutely doing the best thing!!

Good luck again Courts if I don't read you before!! xxx

tuffy x

p.s. the paperwork still hasn't arrived in the mail!!

tuffy x

hi Seven, i was self funded, so for me the anaesthesiest cost $650 after medicare, all up after medicare rebates,the op cost around $9500, everything included. Dr Tony has written on his web page, that if you have private cover and you keep it going after surgery any followup surgery is covered with no out of pockets, may pay to read up, my hubby said he read it there somewhere.

I cant reccommend him any higher, my hubby and I were both banded on the same day, my best friend was in July and her 2 sister in laws prior to that and are all achieving fantastic results!!

Good luck to you and well done for being patient enough to wait for your private health to kick in!...we were too impatient to wait so went through APRA.

Claire

I'm booked in! 7th November :) :)

Still no word from Courts, hope you're ok out there!

tuffy x

Yay Tuffy congrats on getting your date!! just read Courts post things seem to have gone well for her

Take care and enjoy your last suppersssss until the 7th!!

Claire :rolleyes:

Thanks Claire!

Is great to have heart Courts of doing well :D

I'm SO excited about the 7th! I actually could have got in this Monday, but I need to be around work last & first week of month so have to be patient! Please DO NOT encourage me on the last suppers! I have put on a kilo since my appointment 2 weeks ago -I don't feel like I've overeaten, but subconsciously I must have! I wonder if many people gain initially once they've booked surgury?

I got myself a treadmill soo, so I'm going to start on that now, and ty to make a geat head start on thinngs. I haven't been advised to do Optifast, but I'm considering doing shakes leading upto surgury just to make sure my live is in tip top shape too. Eeeee!:P

tuffy x

Hi everyone :) I was in May 2011 my Doctor is Tony. I have lost over 30 kg since then it was the best i ever did. Hope everyone is well

Katherine

• Like 1

Tuffy, I would guess that alot put on pre op and i think all of those last supppers are probably the reason!! The treadmill is a good idea, i have on in the garage, but also have 3 dogs that like walking too, they are good inspiration! No optifast for me but i did have some tony ferguson shakes in the liquid stage. I had my first fill today, and weighed in at Tony's Launceston office, which was handy, was happy with my weight, now down 10kg in 5 weeks! yay, but not expecting that to happen in the next 5 but it would be nice!!:D

The fill didnt hurt at all only a pin prick and it was all over in a couple of minutes, I cant wait to see if there is any difference, he put in 2.5ml, surely there will be some change.

Hi katherine, wow 30 kg in 3 months is awesome!!! well done and I would say the same thing with losing 10kg in first 5 wks, that it is the best thing I have ever done too wish I had done it years ago, but now is better than never!

Claire :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Thanks Claire, had my weigh in this morning and i have lost 23kg in 23 weeks and i'm very happy with that. I go to the gym now and have started having some personal training which i am finding helps alot.

Katherine