tuffy

Hello Tasmanians!

Hi girls, golly gosh I'm having a hard time keeping up with posts now - we've got this Tassie Thread humming along nicely!!

Just to clarify, if there is no where this facebook group will pop up on any of our threads? I might have to join you all in there!!

tuffy xx

nope, as far as I know it doesn't show up anywhere. i got a bit paranoid with this new facebook thing of showing up what everyone comments on, but it doesn't :)

This time next week I'll be banded!!!!!

Courts, how are you going on the liquids?

How is everyone travelling this week? My Monday has been a shocker, can't wait to go to bed!! dry.gif

tuffy xx

well Tuffy, 2 weeks of soup done....another 2 to go :(

the thought of it makes me cringe but it has to be done, I am not going to cheat and start on mushies too early... I can do it for another 2 weeks.

The dietician has taken me off dairy for a trial period so that really narrows down my meal options.... I was loving my banana and yogurt smoothies for lunch.

The next week will go so fast for you, you will be a bandit before you know it

xx

Hi guys, well my monday began at 3.15am...yuk, had to be at work early, so i was tired and nasty all afternoon, day off today and feel like I could sleep the day away, but I wont, trying to talk myself into going for a big walk, I know it will make me feel better but that voice in my head keeps saying "lay up on the couch its too cold!" grrrrr, i have to learn to ignore that bad voice and let the good one speak up!....

Glad you are going well on the liquids,Courts, I didnt quite make the two weeks, only by a day, its tough!

Tuffy, not long now are you excited??? I was excited but very nervous, but the whole process is very quick , and you will be in recovery before you know it, I often think how amazing it is that I actually did it, and that I am now 7 weeks post op! It goes so fast, this time 7 weeks ago I was in the waiting area! But it is the best thing i have ever done, i think with all the money i have spent on shakes and weight watchers etc over the years, I could have paid for the op easily LOL!

Anyway I would like to make a confession while Im here cos it is bothering me:

Here goes!

" Yesterday, I was quite bad, I feel as though i slipped back into my old habits, being tired and out of control, I indulged in licorice allsorts and chips!! - no not together! but the thing is I have been soo good and have been able to keep myself busy at my weak moments and have been able to move past it but no not yesterday :( any way, today is a new day, and now I have confessed and got it off my chest, I can move on and remember that it DIDNT make me feel ANY better and perhaps worse for being so weak!

Now Im going to go for that walk and make myself feel good!

I love this page and soooo glad I have found it, cos I know you guys understand where Im coming from :rolleyes:

Sometimes its not just about the band but about getting your head in the right place!!

Take care everyone and have a great day!!

Hi Guys :D (Love this Tassie group btw)

I went to see my GP today to get my referral for my appointment with my surgeon, and as my 'normal' guy was away I had to see someone new dry.gif any way when I mentioned the surgery she expressed how in Aus, Tas especially, the band is looked upon as a very useful tool and aid in weight management, but she also mentioned she had been working in the uk where they tend to advise against it due to mortality rates, complications etc. I have spent a long time researching the band, I understand the risks and consider the risk of not having the surgery outweigh that of having it, especially as mortality rates are actually extremely low, and are related to the general procedure of surgery rather than the band itself. But I guess it was unexpected and for some reason scared me to not have that 'support' from my GP (iykiwim) unsure.gif

but in saying all this, she never actually said she wouldn't give me the referral. I have been having some other health related issues which we have considered a more important focus, so we are having some bloods run and until we know the results from those we are putting the 'lapband' talk off as the results might ultimately effect me even being able to have the procedure at all sad.gif

But again, with all this said I haven't cancelled my app with Dr Tony for the end of next week yet, as if the bloods are ok then I will get my referral and be moving along as planned! *fingers crossed*

Sorry for the many words, I just mainly wanted to get it all out smile.gif

How did you guys cope with that niggling knowledge that there is a chance you might not wake up from the op?? With two kiddies at home I know its something I am thinking about, and its definitely on my partners mind. I know I can't really dwell on it too much, as not having it could easily take me from them any way. Stoopid Dr's and their scare tactics dry.gif

Haymaddi - I can relate to the tired and out of control feeling so well, mine resulted in a whole pizza and half a 1.25lt Coke last night, and only my parter stopped me order another pizza.... I felt horrible after, but I knew I was out of control prior but I really struggled to bring myself around...and ultimately I failed big time. I look forward to the band just preventing that extreme behaviour as its always a slippery slope for me after a blow out!! Congrats on moving on from it and getting back on track - and for confessing, its hard to do!! wink.gif

Now for something completely new.... has anyone here used the implanon/nexplanon?? how have you found it? if not, what do you guys do for Contraception? I am nearly 6 months post baby and really don't want to have another any time soon, the pill doesn't appeal as I am terrible at remembering to take it, and well condoms ruin the whole experience (IMO).... I thought about the IUD, but the idea of it puncturing my womb kind of scares me ohmy.gif

I have other ops in the past and there is a risk with every op, so that got me thur it :)

Hi Seven, In answer to your questions, i also have two children and a partner, and yes I think the question of not waking up from the op was a concern for me too, but to make it worse my partner also had his op on the same day, so double worry for me, I just tried to not dwell on it or it would have completely done my head in!...I talked to my friend and my mum about it just once and mum knew my thoughts and what was to happen if something happened, so went in feeling nervous but at ease.

Now second...contraception, funny you should ask cos I have just been there, pre op I had my implamon removed as it was 3 years and decided it was time to have my tubes tied, as I am 36 and have two girls,nearly 15 and nearly 10 - feel Ive done my bit!!- ,so went off to the dr got my referral and pill script to get me through, then decided to get banded so put off the referral and after such a bad reaction to the pill (this is why I stopped prior to implamon, makes me way too moody) now I have had the implamon put back in and this is my 4th..love it wouldnt have anything else, no side effects for me, only no period for 1st year then, irregular for the 2nd year and third back to normal, so i will keep this one for the next 3 years then see how i feel, by the way its cheap too!!

hope i have helped

Claire

I HAVE BEEN FOR 2 WALKS TODAY AND FEEL SOOOOO MUCH BETTER FOR IT!!

Hey Claire,

I am SO excited! I have my pre-surgery appointment tomorrow and anethetist on Thursday, then Monday is the big day!! I cant believe it's here! Looking forward to having a week off work also, can you girls tell me how much I'll be able to get about? I'd like to get some packing done and I'm sure moving about will be good to get the gas shifting!

Why didn't you have your licorice & chips together? haha! I thought locorice would be a no no with the band? Seriously though, I'm sure a post band indulgenge doesn't compare to a pre band indulgence, and those two big walks will help straighten your head out :)

Hey Seven, I had a few bloods taken to cancel a few things out also, and my Doctor actually put Dr Patinotis on the copy list so he could see where I was at with my GP. Turns out I am severly iron/ferritin deficient (some of the symtpoms I actually thought I was having a heart attack!) so a deficieny was a relief (irony is, I work SURROUNDED by vitamins!:P

I am really lucky to have a younger super supportive Doctor. In fact she is the reason that I am even getting banded - in April I went to her to discuss my weight and she popped me on Duromine but suggested a lap band as a long term solution. I was GUTTED walking out of that appointment, I had no idea that I fell into the lap band 'category' but it was the reality check I needed, and here I am! (I'm waffling now...sorry!)

I've thought about the not waking up thing...and I'm just trying to not let it factor ...at the moment all I can think is this summer I won't be too embarrassed to go to the Taste and wonder how many people are thinking "she shouldn't be eating that" and how I'll be going on big walks along the beach near my newly renovated house, and how next November at my friends wedding in Bali will be my first experience not being the fat bridesmaid! There is so much for me to look forward to :lol: (I don't have kids, so that innate fear isn't yet inbuilt into me, I can hardly imagine the though processes you guys had to/have to go through) The thing I AM scared about is if I have a complication and have to stay another night in the Royal Hobart Hilton (self funding, at $7500 a night, I want a butler!!)

oh my gosh that Implamon (?) sounds AWESOME!! I'm hoping (and I'm sure my mister is too) that the old libido kicks back into action with some kilos gone and confidence grown. I might have to look into it! ;)

Courts, I am still getting used to my touch phone and can't for the life of me re-find that article I mentioned, I'm sorry :(

tuffy xx

Tuffy, the licorice probably is a no no, but anything chewed well enough for me at the moment will go down! sad but true, cant wait for next fill to get some restriction, hopefully!

The Royal Hilton is right, are you Hobart Private? we were self funded also and hoped for the same outcome, god please only 1 night!!

enjoy your countdown Tuffy!!:rolleyes:

6 more sleeps! I've actually read a few posts about restriction etc and wondered if it came down to teeny mouthfuls and lots of chewing if there would be problems? What have you found Claire? Finding the youtube videos my Prof OBrien was the best day ever, it's so informative. (plus he says a glass of red wine is okay!) but it did sound to me that with the exception of breads/pastas most things, chewed well should be fine?

It's hard to know, becuase there is a lot of conflicting informaion on the forum, I asked the question once on here and am not sure it was well recieved so interested in your thoughts/experiences?

tuffy xx

• Like 1

Hey Tuffy, the only thing i really avoid at the moment is rice, bread and pretty much anything crunchy, like hot chips etc,, i just get an uncomfortable tight feeling in my chest, havent had to bring anything up yet, thank god, my hubby has had a couple of stuck moments both times with chicken, when hes been really hungry and eaten too fast, he had to bring it back up, not pleasent!

I am soooo careful though.

I have had pasta on few occassions and at the moment it goes down well, and like you said keep it small and chew well and eat slowly, rice is too gluggy for me, so i just choose not to have it same with bread, all trial by error i guess.

ooh I just can't wait for the 'errors'!

Having a final dinner with the partners family tomorrow (they don't know I'm being banded - a few members of the family would take it quite personally and be very critical) my partner doesn't agree that they will, so I'm going to cut my portion sizes right back tomorrow to see whether anything is said. Will be an interesting little experiment! B)

Just wondering about how much eveyone moved around the week after surgery? Will I be alright packing boxes without too much discomfort?

tuffy xx

Wow it is so hard to keep up with all these posts now, it is fantastic that we are all on here and can chat so freely and honestly.

Good luck with the dinner tomorrow Tuffy, will be interesting to see if they notice the change in portion size. I wasn't going to tell my partners family but I have told a few and they actually suprised me and are being fantastically supportive.

My movement the immediate days after surgery was a little limited....ok to sit or stand or lie but changing between positions strained quite a bit. But after a few days I was walking around etc quite well. If you find a comfortable position when packing the boxes you should be fine.

I have been doing alot of thinking and researching about restrictions too lately, I guess because I am dreaming of the day when I can have something other than soup lol

Everyone I have spoken too has said basically trial and error with the type of food and to make sure you chew chew chew and eat slowly, just like Claire said.

I have noticed that a few people (who I know personally and on here and on facebook) believe that the tighterthe restriction the better as they lose weight faster, but I read a brilliant thread on here the other day called "still searching for restriction" and it talks about how the band is designed to work....by decreasing your hunger to eat, not your physical ability to eat.

So I have decided that rather than lose weight fast by restricting to a point of ridiculousness I plan on using the band to help me teach my body to eat better, so that long term my mindset will have changed to a point where hopefully the band is just a back up and essentially I am doing it on my own. This is my theory anyway lol

HI Courts, what you say about restriction is very true, i think if you are too restricted and cant eat much at all or are bringing it back up, the body goes into starvation mode and you will not lose weight, the body needs a certain amount to function so making yourself have something even if your not hungry is very important. I have a friend going through this at the moment, she actually gets tired of chewing and the trials turning to errors and gives up and although doing very wellwith her weight loss, she has stopped losing at the moment.

I find for myself if have a days where i barely eat anything, i dont lose but if i have small brekky, something for morning tea, perhaps a yoghurt then small lunch then small afternoon tea, usually cruskits with chilli cream cheese, then small tea and eat it all slowly, then i continue to lose at a steady pace, plus i have been drinking at least 2 litres of water a day more if i can....weigh in this morning was 84.0 on the knocker so i am happy :D !!!

Now off to work i go, have a great day ladies!

Claire

Tuffy, cant wait to see how your dinner goes what a great idea...test the waters!!! Goodluck!

Hi Girls!

I have my pre surgery appointment today - why has no one on here (the site!!) ever mentioned the breathing exercises? I thought I knew everything to expect at least, and then got shown the ball thing and was oh so confused!! My nurse said that I'll need to do it around 6 times a day for the next 4 - 6 weeks to avoid getting chest issues and shallow breathing - how on earth will I subtley do that at work! I'll have to take my hand bag to the loo and huff and puff away in there maybe!! That'll cause some interesting reactions hehe! :blink:

Dinner with the 'in laws' is tomorrow, so I'll definately report back. Courts they are a really supportive family, my my partners mum is very, very overweight so I know she would take the news very personally which for her would probably also get in the way of support...sounds awful, but I almost feel at this stage it would be far more damaging to her to know. Perhaps with time and kilos lost I'll let them know, we'll see.

It's funny about letting people know actually, with all my visits to the Royal Hobart Hilton (I'm sticking with this name!!) I've been certain I'd run into friends. The majority of my firends work at the RHH, on wards, as paramedics & in emergency. I haven't run into anyone yet, I'll bet it'll be when I shuffle out on Tuesday morning it'll happen!

I can see how people get caught up in the restriciton and the rapid weight loss, my god some of the results people are putting up here just make me dream!!! It's amazing, but such huge and fast losses. I don't yet know my 'game plan' we'll get the thing in, then see how we deal with it. It's going to be interesting, let me tell you! My partner and I share a credit card and we had a $48.95 charge on there I couldn't account for so I asked him about it, and he told me where the reciept was. GIRLS, I'll put on there what he bought...I was gobsmacked, it's like he's having finaly binges instead of me!!

White bread rolls, salami, Kettle Chips, Choc Chip Biscuits, Rocky Road Chocolate, Macadamia Chocolate, Coke, Thai Chicken Frozen Thingys, Potato Gems, 35 Frozen Dim Sims & Gatorade. :o :o :o oh, and a newspaper! So as far as 'nutritional' support goes, it looks like I could have my work cut out for me. I still don't understand what on earth he was thinking, he must have gone into some kind of supermarket daze!!

..I've gone off an a whole other tangent! I hope you are all well! 5 sleeps to go!! :)

Claire congrats on hitting 84!!! I can't wait for 87 - everytime over the last year or so I've done the weight loss thing I've got stuck on 88, can't WAIT to crack it!!

hey Tuffy so sorry not to inform you of the tri-flow breathing exercises, in all honesty I haven't been doing mine as much as I should have :)

Whilst we are on the subject of post op things, I am not sure if I mentioned that I had to give myself anti-clotting injections for 5 days after I came home, do you have to do that too?

Ooh, don't apologise Courts! I suppose with everything else going on no one mentions it, I was a bit suprised!!

No one said anything about anti clotting needles either!! Ooooh, all the things to look forward to!!

aaahhhhh, just finished eating my daughters awesome mango curry chicken! But o god i feel it, thought it went down well but it just seems to be sitting, not moving.....

It is strange noone mentions the triflow thingy, I remember being quite shocked about the whole thing when my friend showed me hers, but i found it good when I had bad shoulder tip pain, i would find myself shallow breathing to ease the pain so i would use it often.

Tuffy you may be fine to pack but i found shoulder tip would pull me up quite a bit, so the first few days were very little unless walking around to ease the pain, everyone is different take it as it comes

What time do you have to be at the hospital on tuesday??

have a good weekend guys!!

You just reminded me, when I had my pre-admission appt the nurse actually said "only about 40% of people get shoulder tip pain, it's not too bad apparently, but I wouldn't know personally" It was so weird, all it did was make me think ...she's definatley a bandit!! hehe! I've got my headpack ready, just in case, getting soluble panadol tonight and some de-gas just in case and making up 4 different soupd into little 1 cup size containers to freeze.

I met my drug guy (anesthetist- errrrgh that word is a pain!!) he was SOOOOO wonderful! I just feel really confident about it all now! I'm having my "I'm a failure, why did it come to this" moments, but I just reflect then on the money and time wasted until now on failed weight loss things, definately not regretting my decision :)

The dinner was last night, haha NO ONE took any notice of what I ate because all of his family were so busy nit picking at each other, it was a funny night! It was a pizza night, and I had two pieces and one piece of garlic bread.

oooh what to have for my 'last supper' I am not much of a meat eater, but had though maybe a steak but now Claire you're making me thing maybe a delicious curry!! decision, decisions!

Monday 8.30 I go in, and will likely be done before lunch. eeep!!! :D:lol::blink:

tuffy xx

It really is hard to keep up with all these posts, but really great to know you are all in the same state, using the same hospitals, Dr's etc.

I have hit a cross roads it seems, I had my blood work done yesterday - got a phone call as 7am this morning from GP assist telling me to go to my GP asap as my results were showing very low thyroid function blink.gif (SO not expected) I had never really looked into it before but I had been tested in the past and given the all clear, but 6 months post baby it seems my thyroid has gone to shit!mellow.gif

I got in to see my GP and was sent for more blood results to get some clearer understanding of where I am and how we are going to tackle this! (still in shock from all this) - So I go back wednesday to see my Dr to find out more.....my consult with Tony is booked for Thursday, so I think for now I will be putting that on hold until I know exactly how I am physically! unsure.gif

So, after looking in to HYPOthyroidism and am pleased to see how much of my everyday existence is actually a 'symptom' that can possibly be treated ohmy.gif

tired, lethargic,weight gain, inability to lose weight, aching all over, premature grey hair, lack of hair growth, hair loss, depression, coldness, numbness, poor circulation, moodiness, lack of interest in sex (Partner is pleased that this could be treated wink.gif) ..... along with a bunch of other symptoms... The Hypothyroidism has also resulted in High cholesterol, and possibly high blood sugar ... as well as a few other things I am being tested for. SO my Dr's are informing me my life should improve greatly with treatment which is just nice to hear....though I have read a lot about it and it seems the results vary, with some people becoming rapidly worse with treatment etc....so I am not letting my hopes build up too high just yet!

Has anyone else here been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism? have any info for me?

I understand that it can be caused due to an auto immune disorder... I am trying not to do my head in too much thinking about it right now, but today it seems my life just took a turn and I have entered a new path on my life journey, and though I basically have to wait and see where it leads, I just want to to KNOW!! sad.gif

Hopefully no matter what happens I will still be able to have the surgery next year, and the mix of surgery and med's will greatly improve my life!!smile.gif

sorry for all the jabber jabber, just needed to get it out to someone.... unsure.gif

Wow!! your mind must just be going a million miles an hour. It must be so nice to have an answer to all the symptoms that you were experiencing. I am sure that given the right treatment you won't know yourself!!

i have been tested a few times for thyroid problems but they have always come back clear also, I think I wanted to have a reason for my weight..,.I always thought there must be a reason why I eat so much, why i am tired all the time etc....but turns out its just me :)

Good luck with it all, wishing you all the best for the journey

Never be sorry for jabbering, its what we are here for!!

Courts

I think the pregnancy really brought it all out for me, as they test you when you are pregnant because it can effect bub as well as yourself .... and like I said all my prior tests came back fine. But also I think I have been suffering slightly my whole life from it. Also I read a lot of peoples stories where initial tests didn't show any signs etc only for it to all pop later, so you never know if its not showing up it might still be effecting you some way.

But I was thinking today, wondering if anything in the past 3 weeks changed, as this is when my symptoms hit worrying heights and caused me to talk to my GP, and I realised that this is exactly the time I found my miracle breakfast!! I hate breakfast, it usually just makes me sick to eat it...but then I get silly hungry just before lunch time and my moods go mental and I start demanding ALL THE MACCAS!!! laugh.gif Well then I found 'up&go' !!! Perfect something cold I could skull down in 10 seconds and it would see me through happily (better yet I could have it on the run) well realising that my symptoms worsened the same time as I found 'up&go' I thought I might have a look into it (I only realised the connection after sipping on one this morning) -

Turns out up&go are actually soy protein based, soy protein attacks the thyroid, and this is a big problem for people who are iodine deficient..(Iodine deficiency is very strong in TAS)... Well I actually hadn't had any up&go's in the fridge for the past few days as we had ran out, we only restocked yesterday... first one in a few days today and guess what? I am feeling all those horrible symptoms ten fold today...the past couple of days they had been there but nothing like how they kicked in today, typing right now is a struggle, like I have weights attached to my fingers and arms, I have been jumping up from cramps all day, I just want to pass out....the list goes on.

I guess I wrote this here to make others aware that Soy proteins can do serious damage to your thyroid, and to be wary of the miraculous breakkie that is up&go sad.gif Seriously I am so sads I can't have these any more... I need a non-soy alternative stat!!!

Hi Seven, bad timing as I'm out of the shops this week but I'll check out if any of our protein RTD's are non Soy based. Give me a week and I'll see what I can find out for you!

I know at the supermarkets there are flavoured rice milks, but they are much thinner than up & go.

Definately right to proceed with caution with lord of food & supplements with thyroid probs, the smallest thing can trigger worsening symptoms.