tuffy

Hello Tasmanians!

Wow congratulations with your loss! I wish I only had 26 to go! I have almost double that! I found that most of my post baby weight went away fairly quickly, and have dropped a few under my pre pregnancy weight now. I am going to get a fill in a couple of weeks as I am getting closer to the sweet spot. I think I am going to be one of these people who just needs to have a tight band to drop the weight, unfortunately!

• Like 1

You will do it :-) i bet your happy being under pre baby weight, thats a great achievement in itself. I think I need another fill, I have 5.6ml in 10ml band. That was great for about a month but need a top up I think. Iv been wondering how I will know if I'm at the sweet spot as of late iv been losing without much effort, but think I can still eat too much.

• Like 1

I am very happy to be under pre baby weight.

I am trying to drop a bit more so I can start wearing jeans again - leggings and skirts were fine for summer but am a bit over them now :s

I am not in the sweet spot but am maintaining the weight without effort but not dropping now.

I am up to 6.5ml, and will be asking to go up to 7ml next week.

I don't like the idea of that as I know it means there will be a few more things that I can't eat but it's worth it.

I am trying to get to double figures by the end of the year.

6 months at 1kg a week means I *should* even be able to get to double figures by mid November, and then my goal for next year will be to get to my surgeon's goal weight ... unless another bubba happens to interfere with the works :)

Fingers crossed for me and for you too :)

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.

I'm in Launceston and had my first appointment with Tony P last week and have booked for my op on 15th October. I'm so excited!

I've read all the posts on this thread - so many things I agree with, particularly the amount of money I've spent on weight loss products, etc in my life. I haven't told many people at all because I worry about their attitude to it.

Tony P has told me he doesn't believe in the Optifast period pre-op - he feels a lot of it is money making and said in about 2000 ops, he had only once come across someone that he thought would have benefited from it, so he feels it isn't a worthwhile thing to put you through.

I'm so excited to have made this choice and be doing something positive about my weight battle. I'm currently almost 110kg, and wanted to get down to about 70kg but Tony thinks I should be aiming for something in the 60's. Wow - it's so long since I was there!

Can anyone tell me, do you have to be catheterised for the operation? I know it is a relatively short procedure - 30 mins Tony said, so I wasn't sure about this aspect. I just want to be fully prepared.

Thanks everyone!

Hello Jazzy,

No they should have to catheterize you, they will make you empty ur bladder before you go in.

I'm due for my surgery next Monday by Tony! Very excited.

All the best with ur op and look forward to hearing how you go.

i had a band done with Tony back in May this year and you defiantly don't have a catheter , you will come out with a drip in your arm and around 4-5 small cuts.

I would suggest taking a nighty as p j can rub on your port site,Remember to pack something lose to wear home especially if you have a long drive (no jeans as you can be quite swollen from the gas used during operation). Its also a good idea to get some liquid panadol as tablets can be hard to get down after wards and icy poles in the freezer are a good plan. You will find most people emotions were up and down prior to the operation but it is so worth it for me it has been a fantastic even with a few bumps along the way ,very pleased i went through with it.best of luck to you both.

• Like 1

Thanks heaps! It's good to know what others have gone through - I think it then helps us to know what we are experiencing is normal. I've got a drive from Hobart back to L'ton post op so I'll be sure to post tracky-dacks and loose tops. I'm a nightie girl anyway so that won't be a problem. Got my overnight bag out ready but it feels like it's too early to start packing yet! I guess I'll put bits and pieces aside as it gets closer. Can't wait! I'm so ready for this change!

i had my band done by tony last june at hobart private. being from launnie too the drive back was crap! i wore a dress so there wasnt the band of pants rubbing on the drive home.

happy to chat more if you want to pm me or chat on facebook:)

• Like 1

Hi guys, I am in Perth at the minute and hoping to be banded, for the second time, long story, next month. My question is, we are hoping to move to Tasmania later this year but I am worried I won't have good medical support when we move, any info and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks x

• Like 1

Hi guys, I am in Perth at the minute and hoping to be banded, for the second time, long story, next month. My question is, we are hoping to move to Tasmania later this year but I am worried I won't have good medical support when we move, any info and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks x
Hi Babs, All depends where you are moving too in Tassie. Hobart has 2 main surgeons that do lap band, I know they both travel to Launceston to operate and for follow up care. I think one has just started traveling to the north west once a month. I think both surgeons are quite good but quite different especially in personality :) Good luck with the move

Maybe contact them and discuss the situation? My surgeon has talked about people moving away and that he will help them to find a new surgeon to consult with if they need to so I'm sure he'd consider taking on someone else's patient in a  situation like you are describing.  The two in Hobart are Tony Patiniotis (Hobart Obesity Clinic) and Steve Wilkinson but I'm not sure of his details. 

Do they both operate in Launceston? I had to travel to Hobart for my surgery and I think Tony only comes to Launceston once a fortnight for consults. Steve is travelling to the North West Coast on a Friday (I think - but maybe fortnightly?) and then travels to Launceston the next day. 

There is a great support group on Facebook for Tassie Bandits if you are interested too. Tassie Mel and I have become friends through that.

Hi Babs

How did the move go? We moved here 3 yrs ago from Brisbane and I too was REALLY worried about medical support etc as I have other medical problems. I can tell you from my recent trip to Hobart from the North West Tassie that the support of all the doctors & nurses at Hobart Private was fantastic. They were helpful. caring, very professional, and thorough. Dr Tony Pat. is just the best!!

Claire 

Hi Everyone,

I am now 12 months banded and close to goal weight but REALLY struggling with blockages. I read somewhere there is a facebook group for Tassie Bandits. Can someone tell me how to find it?! I am Simone Yemm on facebook. Would love some support!

Cheers.

Simone