Sign in to follow this  
JulesMelb

Meralgia Paresthetica (nerve pinching in thigh)

Meralgia paresthetica is a condition characterized by tingling, numbness and burning pain in the outer part of the (usually right hand side) thigh. The cause of meralgia paresthetica is compression of the nerve that supplies sensation to the skin surface of the thigh.

Tight clothing, obesity or weight gain, and pregnancy are common causes of meralgia paresthetica. However, meralgia paresthetica can also be due to local trauma or a disease, such as diabetes.

I have suffered from this for the last 5 months since I reached 122kg. I'm now 1 week post banding and while I haven't felt it at all over the last 3 weeks, it is back to being delibitating (I can't walk to the bathroom & back without severe leg pain, and sleeping is almost impossible).

I was told that the subcutaneous nerve that is pinched which causes the pain would stop being painful if I lost 10kg & kept it off. I've since lost 11kgs and it's worse than it's been in a long time.

I'd like to hear from people who have suffered or are suffering from this condition, along with anything that helped you deal with it's symptoms.

Thanks so much!

Jules xxx

I had this for the most part of 18 months prior and post banding along with severe sciatica which caused shooting pain all the way down into my foot. It was present 24/7 as a dull then sharpening pain. Since losing over 70 kilos it has now subsided. There was very little I could do to manage the pain when it was at its worst and I was in tears at least once every day. The worst of it hit me about 2 weeks after banding and I was suicidal at times due to the pain. I couldnt sleep, walk, sit down, lay down comfortably and the pain would cause me to fall or double down at times. I was prescibed Endone, Valium and numerous other drugs to try to help and my physio refused to work on me because of the pain. Chiropractic work did nothing but exacerbate it. Losing weight has made a huge difference but I had to lose about 50 kilos before I experienced days without pain. My vibrating machine has helped a lot and I now spend a lot of my exercise time working my core and hips with movement such as bellydancing.

I really hope you can find a way to manage the pain. It's a horrenous pain to endure and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. I think the worst part of it was people not understanding how excrutiating and debilitating it was. A lot of people thought I was being a complete hypochondriac. I'm really sorry you have this pain.

• Like 1

Hi Jules

I got it about 5 years ago while pregnant with my youngest son, by the end of the pregnancy I wasn't able to stand not even for a minute or two. Once my son was born and I lost some of the baby weight, pain subsided. Since then I have manage to put on all my pregnancy weight back on and more and pain is very bad. Numbness is there all the time and no physio visits made any difference. Looking forward to weight loss giving me feeling in my legs back. I hope it is sooner than later.

Take care

Joanna

• Like 1

"I was told that the subcutaneous nerve that is pinched which causes the pain would stop being painful if I lost 10kg & kept it off. I've since lost 11kgs and it's worse than it's been in a long time."

It must be incredibly disappointing, and chronic pain is horrible - but Im thinking that maybe some of that 11kgs that you've lost is just fluid rather than fat and maybe if you keep going, you might feel the results as was predicted, but that it will need for you to lose a bit more than 11kgs on the scales in order to reduce the pressure on that nerve.

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!!!!!! I have been to physio, osteo, acupuncture, remedial massage to get rid of this burning, tingling, stiffness, painful outer thigh problem. I was told I had tight muscles and sciatica. i am going to talk to the doctor about this experience what you are experiencing too.

Mine started when i was going to the gym and decided to step it up a notch. The result was me having to cancel my gym membership, not sleeping at night, not being able to walk without incredible pain and discomfort and inability to walk well. No one has given me a definitive answer to my problem and your post may very well have hit the nail firmly on the head.

I would happily cut off my legs to get rid of this! I have it in both legs as well as back problems and ongoing sciatica...joy joy joy!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for replying. I'm glad I'm not the only one out there to suffer from this horrible condition.

@ Gato - I agree that the first 11kgs is probably mostly fluid, and so despite the pain I've started walking again for 30 minutes a day, albeit slowly as my stitches still haven't disolved (I'm 10 days post op). My fluids and mushies next week are/will be all really healthy too. I still don't have any appetite (no fill as yet) so I may as well make my food nutritious if I'm going to eat!

I truely hope that losing weight will lessen the symptoms, otherwise my doctor said i will need surgery to alleviate the muscle that is pressing on the subcutaneous nerve which causes this issue.

@ kazbo - Let me know how you go with your GP. My GP diagnosed this straight away but I had done some 'self diagnosis' from googling "thigh pain" on the internet first!

I find that ice packs really help to alleviate the pain, as does movement when possible. Has anyone else got and tried and true pain prevention or pain management ideas?

Cheers,

Jules

about the only thing that relieves the pain is moving. If I don't do my daily walking it gets tighter and more painful. Ironic, isn't it, that the thing that hurts the most makes it better!

Hi All,

My MP has been the worst it has ever been in the last 3 days. I've nicknamed my right leg "the dragsie" as it just won't function like a leg at the moment. I've thought of chopping it off to become a "onesie" but in the meantime I am due to have (what they tell me is a very painful) cortisone injection in my right leg on Monday, a day before my 33rd birthday.

I'm hoping that the injection will give me some relief, otherwise the only other option is more surgery, which often leaves the entire thigh numb for life. Not my first choice by any means!

I hope all of you are coping much better than I have for the past few days.

Jules xxx

I had a blissful 4 days of no pain at all last week. It was a wonderful holiday! No it is back with avengance. I went and saw the GP, played dumb about it to see what he might think. He referred me for a CT scan which I have on Monday. He wrote down that it was suspected sciatica so we'll see if anything shows up on the scan.

My lower back is also ACHING today and I'm struggling to move around. All up - not a good day to be me :( I just hope that if I keep moving around it might loosen it all up and I get a better range of movement - we'll see