Seven

As a soon to be bandit I have a few questions...

Hi all,

So Who did you go with for your surgery?

Why did you chose them?

How have you found their after care, manner etc?

What was expected of you prior to surgery? (Opti-fast etc)

What was expected after surgery? e.g. How long was the liquid stage?

Have you had any complications?

Any other information you could share?

Hey, I am now 1 week 2 days post op. Here are my honest answers:

I am a patient of Dr Wilkinsons

I chose him because I know quite a few people who have gone through him and their results have been fantastic and they provided great reccommendations.

His bedside manner leaves alot to be desired. I am a real information seeker, and I feel he is not an information giver (if that makes sense). i feel like you have to ask the specific questions, the information isn't just given. He is very straight to the point and matter of fact about everything. i have my follow up this afternoon so I will see what the aftercare side of things is like.

Nothing expected prior to surgery, no optifast or anything. I had a very short time between consult and op, perhaps it would have been different with a bigger gap????

I am on 4 weeks liquid post-op, then it is a 3-4 week transition period back into solids gradually.

No complications yet (touch wood lol) Healing great and i feel fantastic now, have lost 5.3 since banding, and dispite liquid diet i couldn't be happier.

Both surgeons are very very good at what they do, it really will come down to personal choice of yours.

Good luck with your journey, so far it's been worth every minute.

courts

xx

Hi as I couldnt see what state your from I will give you general information as I am sure it will still make sense and all Doctors are different anyway.

So firstly good luck and this is not a easy decision but if you go ahead I am sure like most of us you will find it a great tool and I now for myself wish I had done this years ago.

So choosing your Doctor to me is the most important step,I actually had appointments with 3 different surgeons till I found the one I was most comfortable with.I think the one I choose is amazing so helpful not pushy or condiscending and very empathetic to us overweight folks.

He also happened to be one of the cheaper so that was a bonus.

As you will be seeing your Doctor very regularly its great to find one you really feel at ease with.

I did have to go on optifast pre surgery but I know not all Doctors do this and it also has to do with your start weight.

Pre testing is pretty standard but when you have decided on a Doctor they will give you the run down,after surgery again depending on your Doctor you maybe on liquid for 2-4 weeks then soft foods etc for another 2-4 weeks then solids.

Again all Doctors can be slightly different.

You can look up Doctors on the internet in your area which is what I did and rang there rooms they all were super helpful and will give you all the information your after several also where able to post out information.

Well hope that was some help.

good luck and it is worth the wait for your insurance to kick in !!!!

I am nearly at the 1 year mark and have lost 34 kgs as of this morning soooooooooo very happy.

I choose Dr Patiniotis, as I know a few that have been banded by him and have also had great results, he is great, easy to talk to, happy to answer any questions,has a good bedside manner, and gave plenty of info at first meeting.

He gave us his mobile number and email to contact him with any questions,

No complications for me but my hubby had small infection in port site we contacted him asap and as we are in the north he called the local chemist to organise a script and messaged to see how he was going after a couple of days...ala in all VERY happy with our choice of surgeons.

Best of all NO optifast, and 2 weeks liquid, 2 weeks mushy then 2 weeks casserole type foods.

Good luck choosing!!:D

Hi seven,

Thanks for your reply on my wall. I went with dr Patvas I had only hear wonderful things about him and not so wonderful things about dr wilkinson (just what I heard, not my opinion, terrible bed side manner apparently) anyway Tony pat was great, I contacted him by email yesterday and he wrote back almost instantly it was fantastic. I'm so pleased I had the surgery, it's only early but I cam see it will life changing for me

I'm with Dr Patinotis also, and he's been great. I went into my surgeons appointment with a list ofquestions, and didn't ask one because he just told me EVERYTHING! (Including the little fat brown cow analogy, which still makes me giggle :P )

Despite it, I still had some questions about exercise and some vitamins I take and emailed him and it was answered within 12 hours! I'm just so impressed so far, and the ladies in the office are just wonderful too.

Op is in 8 days!!!

:D :D :D

tuffy xx

oh yeah, one of my questions was about the liquid phase, and I wanted to know if it was clear liquids only - his response was it was ANYTHING you could drink through a straw. (This made me laugh, because you can drink milk through a straw, but ain't that how little brown cows become big fat brown cows? ;) )

tuffy

• Like 1

Hi guys, Tony told us the "anything through a straw" thingy too, and also stated in the first four weeks not to worry about calorie intake , so if you can drink milk 24/7 or custard whatever, then you can cos from first fill the calorie count is more important

Claire

I might have to take a note book to the hospital with me Claire, sounds like there's heaps more info to come!!:D

tuffy xx

Good idea about the notebook Tuffy. I'm booked in for 15/10/12 so will put a notebook in my hospital bag. I usually make lots of notes in my iPhone 'notes' facility but I guess I may have to have that switched off while in hospital.