Nessa1977

Why don't you try this? Why don't you try that?

I know they're trying to help, but I got my mum and sister asking me why I don't try this or that in order to lose weight. Mum said to try those tablets that have something to do with the fat and you take it half hour before eating. I'm sure you all know how it is.

To me, those things are all gimmicks and short term soloutions.

I need something permanent.

Thus the band.

My sister asked today how I'll be able to cope with the fact that I'll be limited to what I can eat and she said first I need to sort out things in my head (psychologically) and prepare myself for the next step.

I told her my coworker who had the procedure about 5 years ago still has issues and perceives herself as still being on the big side.

My family where similar in the begining the best thing i could do was give them lost of info and all the research i found i gave to them aswell. Now 8 weeks after surgery since ive lost 25 kilos they dont seem to have as much to say. But i know my battle with food will proberly last me a lifetime, i still have lots of issues (head hunger etc), i say if it what you really want to do go for it, good luck

I think people feel guilty themselves eating up in front of you while youre nibbling away lol... I know my mum feels like that.

People asked me the same thing before I was banded but I just said " I wouldnt be like I am now if I could do it my self ".

I"m very happy with how things have worked out BUT within the last few days I have felt very restricted and I dont mean restriction !!! I have visions of eating a beautiful salad sandwich with mayo lol..

I have trouble eating a lot of stuff and I think thats why I feel so limited. I try and try to chew the food small but after 2 or 3 small bites I get that feeling.

I have an appt with the surgeon on Tues where I wont get a fill but I will talk to him about it and maybe get 1/2 ml out or something..

Ugh, tell me about it. My whole life has been people telling me what to eat, how to try lose weight, how to manage my diabetes, etc. "You can't eat that!" bahhhh!! It used to make me really irritated. Either I was eating too much, or the wrong food, and now I apparently just don't eat enough. You can't win. You have to just tune it out and pretend they're being helpful because it will drive you insane otherwise!

I've been seeing a psychologist since before the band and after nearly 20kgs I still feel like 'the big girl'. I was only 93 to start with, but now I'm still wearing much the same size clothing as before, so it's really messing with my head. "How can I have lost so much weight and still only fit into size 16 pants!?"

But at the end of the day it's a personal journey, no amount of preparation can make some people succeed, just like no lack of it can determine who fails. Do what feels right for you - learn to tune out the other voices and listen to yourself. Ask yourself what you want to do. Are you really hungry? Do you really need that last mouthful, Beth? These are questions I ask and ignore the other ones.

You'll do great. It usually helps if you try to remember they're most likely trying to actually help. (It's just none of their business most of the time!!)

• Like 1

Hi Jayne

Good luck with your appointment. Great idea to chat to your surgeon and perhaps have a little removed. From my experience you need to be able to eat a range of foods to help you loose the weight! Hopefully making a small adjustment will put you in a much better place!!

Hi Beth

Don't look at the size tags - they are all different and not going to help your head!

In my newly acquired wardrobe the size range is 12 to 18 (only one 18 yipeee) I have a beautiful classic size 16 dress that is too tight and a pair of size 12 pants that fit - I know I'm not a 12 yet! I have a few size 14 things that are almost perfect and a fantastic size 16 top that is like a straight jacket! Now I take three sizes to the changeroom and hope to walk away with the one that fits!

S

• Like 4

if it was as 'simple' as trying some new wonder diet or pill, we wouldn't have had the banding.

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions, unless they have been in your position, they are in no way qualified to judge or comment.

@Beth - I get frustrated too that my fat clothes still fit (albeit much looser) but then I remind myself of how tight they used to be. I do have a few old faves that I struggle to part with. Plus I'm in between sizes and my body shape has changed so much that I am a size 16 across the shoulders, size 18 across the boobs, size 18-20 across the tummy - ARGH!

• Like 2

It is so frustrating I know how you feel :) I have been dieting for over ten years , will lose some and then pop what i lost and then some back on

Diets dont work!! simple as that. because if they did , everyone who had ever been on one would be thin:) you are doing what is best for you and people who havent been in your position will not understand :)

• Like 1

I know I'll have problems with my nana after I get banded. She's always getting into me about my weight but is then always shoving food at me ... and not good food. I'll just have to pretend I'm sick or developed allergies to everything ... lol

When well meaning people tell me all I need to do is exercise more, or eat less, or try the Atkin's Diet, or Jenny Craig or cut out carbs or whatever miracle thing they think will 'fix' me I give them my wide eyes and struck dumb face and say with a wonderous tone in my voice, "Oh my god ! You're so right. I never tried any of this before. I must be fat because I choose to be fat !" They're ignorant dumbarses yet treat me as if I am.

• Like 5

i too know how you feel. I have kept this op a secret so i dont have to worry bout people telling me to watch what i eat .. I have just told them i have cut back on all foods ..

@Beth - I get frustrated too that my fat clothes still fit (albeit much looser) but then I remind myself of how tight they used to be. I do have a few old faves that I struggle to part with. Plus I'm in between sizes and my body shape has changed so much that I am a size 16 across the shoulders, size 18 across the boobs, size 18-20 across the tummy - ARGH!

Sizing is so annoying, you never know what size you're going to be. Why cant there be standardisation. My bust and hip measurements are always the same, even as I loose weight I loose the same amount from both the bust and hips. But the sizing assumes you are bigger in the hips than the bust, which means I am always at least 1 size smaller in pants than in tops. So I feel thin when I buy pants but fat when I buy tops.

The other annoying thing is when you first transition from plus sizing to normal sizing. It seems that a "plus size" size 16 is equivalent to a "normal size" size 18-20, if that makes sense. So not only do you have to look at the sizing but also look at whether it is a plus size range or a normal size range.

On the up side, today I just purchased size 14 pants (but I know that they are a generous cut). Only lasted in size 16 for 6 weeks. I'm dropping sizes so fast at the moment that I only buy my clothes at Target. No point splashing out on a new glamorous wardrobe until I hit my goal weight (and then maybe waiting to post-Bodylift). Loosing this weight is not easy, it takes up a considerable amount of my brain power to constantly keep myself on my plan.

• Like 2

I think I already posted my favourire......"Why don't you just stop eating?". Short version is....people can be really stupid and ignorant and your operation will not cure that. I told everone I was getting banded and had mostly good, but some snide nasty comments also. 5 months on it is just an accepted part of me and no-one makes a big deal (some people at work even forgot I had it done).

Intersting point was pre and post op when the weight fell off quickly - everone made a big deal of it and it was the main topic of conversation. Now I am losing about 4kg a month and no one really notices the weight loss so no one makes a big deal of it. In the end I did this for myself, my wife and my kids....everone eles can like it or lump it, I really don't give a crap what they say or do.

• Like 6